Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Cheese Stands Alone

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar

The Cheese Stands Alone

I've read a number of books over the years where the characters are in a situation of no refrigeration and they are carrying cheese for food. What kind of cheese will survive that condition and be palatable?
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Almost all of the cheeses in Europe. My French wife calls our cheese "plastic" cheese.

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I've read a number of books over the years where the characters are in a situation of no refrigeration and they are carrying cheese for food. What kind of cheese will survive that condition and be palatable?
    Pretty much any cheese you associate with Italy, Romano, Parmesan, etc.... Just keep it covered. US cheeses are typically a variant of cheddar and really young. If they were allowed to age, they would get harder and drier.......like the old sharp cheddar (aged 8+ yrs) that would approach Parmesan in texture.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    Almost all of the cheeses in Europe. My French wife calls our cheese "plastic" cheese.
    I've been calling it that for decades. Sometimes it even comes in a spray can.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

What does the French wife think of USA white square bread? My hillbilly wife,being unlike her brethren eats "real bread"-the kind you have to bite/tear off...
    FWIW,there are many very good "American " cheeses & they are not called "American" by name. We have a couple made here in KY(near Bowling Green,KY) & also NY state & WI in particular have many more. Fresh Market has a few of these as does Whole Foods. Even wally world sells VT Cabots cheese which comes in an aged version.
    How long do you intend to carry around your cheese? My bologna sandwiches (with sliced cheddar/swiss) used to survive 135 degrees in a lunchbox @ the Goodyear tire plant...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    How long do you intend to carry around your cheese?
    3 or 4 days.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Good cheese can last weeks

But, you do occasionally have to cut off the hard or moldy looking outer part before you eat it. Whats inside is still good. I've made some ocean sailing passages of two weeks and more and learned that cheese and eggs can last a long time if taken care of properly. Hard cheese kept in the coolest place possible, the bilge on a boat works. On my rs, rear rack, I would carry a small cooler bag with some cold cans of beer; that works for a while or until you buy some more cold beer.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

No longer a member here
    Real cheese has no place in the refrigerator. Our cheese sits on the countertop -even in the summer - in a dedicated cheese dish (like an oversized butter dish). Best cheese to carry on the road is Gouda. It gets better as it ages and dries.

na1g
    I thought cheese came in little pie-shaped pieces wrapped in foil...? Maybe not all, but it's a good way to carry cheese that will not go bad in our lifetime. Gruyere, I think. Used to take it canoe camping.

Velveeta and spray cheese are actually labeled "cheese food product", whatever that means. Maybe the FDA or Dept of Ag knows but probably not.

Nothing beats a chunk of good, well-aged cheddar and an apple for lunch.
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    What does the French wife think of USA white square bread?
    She doesn't really eat much bread, though she eats our "square bread" for breakfast, toasted with jam!
    In France, they actually have "square bread" also, which I've only seen eaten for breakfast with butter & jam, however
    it is a sweeter variety than our sandwich bread. Square fits in the toaster better

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

In Vermont I bought some "Seriously Sharp" cheddar.
    When I got it home and tried it, it was seriously mild.
    Currently my favourite sharp cheddar is 3 year old Empire from Campbellford, Ontario.
    It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bullet View Post
    In Vermont I bought some "Seriously Sharp" cheddar.
    When I got it home and tried it, it was seriously mild.
    Currently my favourite sharp cheddar is 3 year old Empire from Campbellford, Ontario.
    When I was a kid, my father would always buy "Sharp" cheese at the butcher shop that was cut from a large round with a black wax coating. When cut thin, 1/8-inch or so, the stuff would crumble and the color was a translucent white. The taste was definitely sharp and dry.

What I see today as sharp cheddar seems to be very mild.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    .............................. Best cheese to carry on the road is Gouda. It gets better as it ages and dries.
    I lika gouda cheees............................................ .pun intended

Been to a few cheese curing cellars in Europe and there was NO refrigeration in sight. Find a small family run Italian or other European ethnic deli, they have the best stuff.

I do like a good cheddar too, and agree that the term "sharp" has been diluted just like the major American, yellow fizz water they sell as beer.

Look for or order Cuba cheese, there 3 years reserve is as sharp a cheddar that I remember eating in many years. If you like a velvety smooth, but tasty cheddar try their sharp or extra sharp cheddar, it has spoiled me for any other cheddar, including the New England, and Canadian cheeses'

Cuba Cheese: http://www.cubacheese.com/
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    I lika gouda cheees............................................ .pun intended
    This only works if you mispronounce "Gouda", like everybody in the U.S. does. The cheese is named after the Dutch city of Gouda and the "ou" is pronounced like in "loud", not like in "mood"

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Worlds largest wheel of cheese at the time. The normal stuff, and all of it along with the wine and meat curing on the sealing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010