Thread: Spoked Rear Wheel, Disc Brake

Hybrid View

No longer a member here

Spoked Rear Wheel, Disc Brake

I want to convert my 78 R100S from rear drum to a disc brake. I have all the parts I need, but I can not find a spoke wheel with a disc brake hub???? All there is are snowflakes. Are they THAT rare?

Didn't the early R100RS come with spokes? Assuming it had a rear disk, then they might be pretty rare.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Didn't the early R100RS come with spokes? Assuming it had a rear disk, then they might be pretty rare.
    No, all the R100RSs with spokes had drum brakes, only the ones with snowflakes had the option of drum or disc
    brakes.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

No longer a member here
    How about the S? I know there was a 1978 R100S with a rear disc. What wheel did that have?

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    How about the S? I know there was a 1978 R100S with a rear disc. What wheel did that have?
    The same, the only difference is the handelbars & faring.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

No longer a member here
    Does that mean, I cannot get a spoke rear wheel with a disk brake? I have to get one made?

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Disc on snowflakes only, or aftermarkets (Lesters, etc.)

Why do you want the disc rather than a drum? If you're looking for the spokes to give that "period authenticity/appearance", i would think that a drum set-up would enhance that look, not detract from it. No?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

You may need to have a hub custom built

I don't think your going to find a OEM BMW spoked rear wheel or hub to fit your bike that mounts a disc brake, I don't think they made them OEM. I'm almost certain that if there's a Lester rear wheel disc brake it will not be for sale. I know that Morris mags are out there (I have a set for a pending project) and they do make a rear disc wheel for Air heads but you will need to fabricate a caliper mount. Morris mags look almost like Lesters but just a little lighter in weight and a little better looking in my opinion.

Woodys Wheel Works is an excellent resource and vendor for custom stuff and the staff has a wealth of knowledge regarding what works and what might be a very expensive and unproductive experiment.

I had given thought to having a disc mounting adapter made for a spoked wheel hub until I compared the stopping power of the rear disc on my R 100S and the drum brake on my R 90/6 and found that there is not much of a difference between them.