Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spoked Rear Wheel, Disc Brake

No longer a member here

Spoked Rear Wheel, Disc Brake

I want to convert my 78 R100S from rear drum to a disc brake. I have all the parts I need, but I can not find a spoke wheel with a disc brake hub???? All there is are snowflakes. Are they THAT rare?

Didn't the early R100RS come with spokes? Assuming it had a rear disk, then they might be pretty rare.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Didn't the early R100RS come with spokes? Assuming it had a rear disk, then they might be pretty rare.
    No, all the R100RSs with spokes had drum brakes, only the ones with snowflakes had the option of drum or disc
    brakes.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

No longer a member here
    How about the S? I know there was a 1978 R100S with a rear disc. What wheel did that have?

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    How about the S? I know there was a 1978 R100S with a rear disc. What wheel did that have?
    The same, the only difference is the handelbars & faring.

No longer a member here
    Does that mean, I cannot get a spoke rear wheel with a disk brake? I have to get one made?

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel> pun!

Not saying it couldn't be done, why don't you just get a pair of Snowflakes with a rear disc.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Cainey View Post
    Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel> pun!

Not saying it couldn't be done, why don't you just get a pair of Snowflakes with a rear disc.
    I don't like the looks of the Snowflakes and I hear all these horror stories about them having flaws.

I hear all these horror stories about them having flaws.
    Only the ones that haven't been taken out of service for the recall. Other than that, they should be fine.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Only the ones that haven't been taken out of service for the recall. Other than that, they should be fine.
    I wouldn't know how to tell black from white. But the main issue is really the looks. The Snowflake wheels to me are an 80s BMW. A 70s Airhead needs to have spoke wheels. Especially a R100S.
    I don't think Snowflakes would look good on a R90S either.

You might consider calling Woody's Wheelworks and discuss the situation with them. I wonder if you had a rim and hub, could the wheel be respoked with enough offset to allow the use of a disk brake. I suspect some engineering will be needed on the frame side to mount the caliper as well as the master cylinder.

It's sounding like this combination never existed in production...maybe for a reason...maybe not. But worth a question to some wheel experts.

Disc on snowflakes only, or aftermarkets (Lesters, etc.)

Why do you want the disc rather than a drum? If you're looking for the spokes to give that "period authenticity/appearance", i would think that a drum set-up would enhance that look, not detract from it. No?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

You may need to have a hub custom built

I don't think your going to find a OEM BMW spoked rear wheel or hub to fit your bike that mounts a disc brake, I don't think they made them OEM. I'm almost certain that if there's a Lester rear wheel disc brake it will not be for sale. I know that Morris mags are out there (I have a set for a pending project) and they do make a rear disc wheel for Air heads but you will need to fabricate a caliper mount. Morris mags look almost like Lesters but just a little lighter in weight and a little better looking in my opinion.

Woodys Wheel Works is an excellent resource and vendor for custom stuff and the staff has a wealth of knowledge regarding what works and what might be a very expensive and unproductive experiment.

I had given thought to having a disc mounting adapter made for a spoked wheel hub until I compared the stopping power of the rear disc on my R 100S and the drum brake on my R 90/6 and found that there is not much of a difference between them.

No longer a member here
    At one of the rallies, I saw a R90S with a rear disc brake, that the owner had adapted.
    The main reason I wanted to go with a rear disc was the final drive (imagine that) I found a brand new 32/11 final drive which I would like to install, but it is for a disc brake application.

Any final drive can be converted over to drum brakes.