Thread: 1971 R75/5: Pushrod tube replacement. Is this sealant ok to use?

1971 R75/5: Pushrod tube replacement. Is this sealant ok to use?

I am about to do a pushrod tube replacement on my 1971 R75/5 with the SoCal airheads group.

I went to buy parts for the job and Irv Seaver BMW (orange county) mentioned they could no longer get Drei-Bond in stock. They said that they had the following available:

1216 SUZUKI SILICONE 120G Part Number: 99104-31160

Does anyone know if this sealant is ok to use? Is it tested/good/ok? I dont want to use this stuff and find out my engine leaks because of the silicone sealant material.

Hope you guys can help.

Haven't really heard of that. I've heard the following mentioned on the Airlist email list:

- Yamabond 4, Suzuki Bond 1207, Kawasaki Bond
    - Permatex Ultra Gray (I just used on my /7 top end work)
    - Driebond 1215

From some of the readings, it seemed like the 1216 product is something a gasket replacement item, like using it as a replacement for the oil pan gasket. So, maybe this is a product to use for the cylinder bases...it should never be used to replace a gasket where called for...it also is put on very thin.

I chose the Permatex because it was available at just about any auto parts store...recommended by Ted Porter.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Bob's BMW sold me the Ultra Grey as a replacement for DreiBond for my /7 cylinder resealing last weekend.