Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Airhead yes, CLC well no

As the former owner of an R1200ST, who loved that bike, I would never comment on the taste of others in motorcycles.

--Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Coming from the R1200 Cruiser I guess a 2010 Honda NT700V could be a step up?
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

JoeDabbs
    The fat front tire on the CLC made for a great ride over pot holes and uneven, washboard roads. My RT1200 feels like a jackhammer compared to the CLC. The big front tire had some great benefits, but, yes, some drawbacks as well.
    Joe Dabbs
    2011 RT
    1975 R60/6

I get a lot of positive comments on my 2003 CLC, but I doubt many would bad mouth it to my face. It is different looking I'll grant you, but I like it. Mine has almost 128k on the odometer. I've learned to handle it at low speeds-I just drive fast. I'm not sure why those other riders only get 120 miles between tanks. I commute 23 miles one way each day, half of it on the interstate and I'm getting 150 between tanks. On long trips using secondary roads I'll go 160-170 miles between tanks. If I cruise the interstate at 80 mph I'll fill up at 140 miles. The OP said the tank was 3.5 gal. It's actually 4.6 gal. It looks bigger, but they had to carve out a lot of room underneath for the battery, ABS and computer.
    Mike White
    R1200CLC

"I can resist everything except temptation"... Oscar Wilde

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by txtinman View Post
    I get a lot of positive comments on my 2003 CLC, but I doubt many would bad mouth it to my face. It is different looking I'll grant you, but I like it. Mine has almost 128k on the odometer. I've learned to handle it at low speeds-I just drive fast. I'm not sure why those other riders only get 120 miles between tanks. I commute 23 miles one way each day, half of it on the interstate and I'm getting 150 between tanks. On long trips using secondary roads I'll go 160-170 miles between tanks. If I cruise the interstate at 80 mph I'll fill up at 140 miles. The OP said the tank was 3.5 gal. It's actually 4.6 gal. It looks bigger, but they had to carve out a lot of room underneath for the battery, ABS and computer.
    My experience pretty much matches yours. In 6 1/2 years, my low fuel light usually comes on within 5 miles of 160 miles on the roads I ride. I ride in Harley country and my brown CLC draws more attention than the RTs, GSs and other BMWs in our group. When we pull into a watering hole, nobody ever expresses an interest or even mentions the other BMWs but I frequently get questions and compliments on mine. The CLC is clearly not the bike for the typical BMW fanatic but it is interesting to the cruiser crowd.
    Last edited by osbornk; 09-03-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    My experience pretty much matches mine.
    Give thanks it does. If it didn't, you may be stuck in a parallel universe.....:

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Give thanks it does. If it didn't, you may be stuck in a parallel universe.....:
    Smarty. Thanks
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Smarty. Thanks
    I'm sorry. I'm a bad man... I couldn't resist.
    Hey wait a minute! You would have done the same to me too, wouldn't ya?!

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I'm sorry. I'm a bad man... I couldn't resist.
    Hey wait a minute! You would have done the same to me too, wouldn't ya?!
    Yep