Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 R1200RT shocks delivery schedule

2014 R1200RT shocks delivery schedule

The first shocks will arrive at dealers on Tuesday, August 19. They will be shipped as they arrive in the U.S. Because they are coming in numerous bulk shipments to BMW NA, it will take a few weeks to get them all sent out, some into September.

They will be made available to customers in the order of dates of sale of their motorcycles in the U.S.

Each shock will be assigned to a specific motorcycle by its VIN number. But the date of sale of the motorcycle controls the delivery of the shock, not the VIN sequence. For example, my 2014 R1200RT was the fifth sold in the U.S., so my shock will be the fifth delivered and it will be delivered to my dealer. That shock, when it arrives, must be installed on the motorcycle with my VIN number, i.e. my 2014 R1200RT. And so on down the list of RT sales.

After shocks have been delivered to all waiting 2014 R1200RT owners, they will be made available to dealer stock, etc.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

Any idea how many 2014 RT's have been sold ?

I'm 174th in the USA. Maybe next week?
    Rob Lessen

'07 R12RT
    '14 R12RT LC

I bought the first one at my dealer but don't know what number I am for the whole country. Do the dealers have a list that would show this?

Quote Originally Posted by davidJAX View Post
    I bought the first one at my dealer but don't know what number I am for the whole country. Do the dealers have a list that would show this?
    Yes, how are people finding the number of their bike? A list with the vin and date sold would be nice.

RT in NC
    Quote Originally Posted by davidJAX View Post
    Yes, BMW sent them a list. My RT was the first one purchased in the US. Dealer sent me as copy of the list. Next one was in Jax, FL. Took mine in today. They expect delivery on Tuesday. Maybe this saga is almost over. I am glad I kept the bike I love riding it.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by hogwide@aol.com View Post
    Yes, BMW sent them a list. My RT was the first one purchased in the US. Dealer sent me as copy of the list. Next one was in Jax, FL. Took mine in today. They expect delivery on Tuesday. Maybe this saga is almost over. I am glad I kept the bike I love riding it.
    Sounds great! The one in Jacksonville must be me!

Quote Originally Posted by hogwide@aol.com View Post
    Buck,
    It would be appreciated if you could post or PM a list with the numbers on it.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
    Buck,
    It would be appreciated if you could post or PM a list with the numbers on it.
    Thanks.
    +1
    Greg
    South Central Valley, CA
    2014 R1200RTW, 2013 Paiggio BV350, 2010 Yamaha TW200

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    The first shocks will arrive at dealers on Tuesday, August 19. They will be shipped as they arrive in the U.S. Because they are coming in numerous bulk shipments to BMW NA, it will take a few weeks to get them all sent out, some into September.

They will be made available to customers in the order of dates of sale of their motorcycles in the U.S.

Each shock will be assigned to a specific motorcycle by its VIN number. But the date of sale of the motorcycle controls the delivery of the shock, not the VIN sequence. For example, my 2014 R1200RT was the fifth sold in the U.S., so my shock will be the fifth delivered and it will be delivered to my dealer. That shock, when it arrives, must be installed on the motorcycle with my VIN number, i.e. my 2014 R1200RT. And so on down the list of RT sales.

After shocks have been delivered to all waiting 2014 R1200RT owners, they will be made available to dealer stock, etc.
    Good news for those of you who have already purchased an R1200 affected by the parts issue. Would anyone know how the part availability will affect my bike that is supposedly in production? From what I understand the bike has a production of 155. It has been at that same code for a couple of weeks at least.

L Lee

RT in NC
    He only texed me the top of the list. I can't get the image to upload.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic

Maybe BMW will call each dealer and tell them when they can fix a specific bike? That way, when dealer who sold first bike fixes it, he can call BMW to tell them. Then BMW will call dealer who sold second bike and tell them it's okay to fix bike number two...and so on and so forth. That way it will be fair for all. Shouldn't take long especially if they use BMW's Customer Service force to coordinate the calls. Yes, sounds very fair and should expedite all the fixes necessary. Of course this could all blowup if number 104 is fixed before 97, because there might be a lawsuit and bring all to a halt. Just thinking out loud...pay no attention. Good luck to all in getting their bike fixed ASAP!
    MOA #46783

Let's keep it a secret

BMW knows the total number of schocks needed. They know or can accurately estimate ther replacement production rate, ie how many schocks they are producing/receiving a day/week. They know the skipping times. Therfore they know pretty accuratly how long it will take to replace all the schocks out there. Why then have they not published a estimated replacement schedule for all classes (owned, dealer, give backs) of effected bikes. For example: repairs will begin 8/18 and all repairs should be completed by ?????. I suspect that the reason the are not publishing a schedule is that it is going to take much longer than they we are expecting and if owners knew how much longer, they would have a surge of give backs, which they are trying to avoid. Obviously this is just my opinion, but why else would they be so secretive about the replacement process. I hope I am wrong but I suspect this process is going to drag on well into October.

When this process first started I thought BMW was doing the right thing for the owners and giving them a choice and letting the customer make the decision that best fit there needs. As this has draged on with little or no communication I think the process has become deplorable and shows major disrespect for there customers. It does not cost them anything to have regular e-mail communications with there customers and to keep the customers informed. So why have they not been upfront with this? It apears that some dealers are making an effort on the part of ther customers but many are just like the preverbal " deer in the headlights". I have lost all faith with BMW as far as having their customers best interest as a priority or even a concern.

Rant over.

2014 R1200RT shock delivery schedule

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I thought the factory closed for August.
    If the factory is closed in August it could explain the 155 production code(production complete) not changing over the last 2 weeks. I cannot recall a time in my life as a customer when I have experienced such a pervasive communication problem. It is truly systemic. I am not familiar with the process since this is my first BMW. Had a riding buddy tell me he covered 521 miles yesterday on his bike and was asking when I was going to get my bike so I could join him. After two and a half months since placing my initial deposit one would think I would have a clear picture of what to expect and when at this stage of the game. Truly disappointing.

L Lee

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I've been saying for months that I think this is going to be taught for years in business schools as an example of "worst practices" when it comes to communicating with customers. And it's strictly a self inflicted wound by BMW. As I've said elsewhere, I'm near the end of patience. I bought mine five days before the stop ride order. I've set September 4 as the date that I'm either fixed or I switch from the repair to the buy back option.
    If you're serious, you should start buy-back process now...you can always change your mind if they fix it before 9/4. As a recent BMW notice stated, you can opt for option one as long as you haven't yet taken delivery of buy-back check from transfer agent....about a 30 day process.
    MOA #46783