Thread: Trailer Wiring 2012 R1200GS

Trailer Wiring 2012 R1200GS

I am thinking of putting a hitch on my 2012 GS so I can tow a trailer to some of the Scottish Highland games where I can host a clan tent.

I have a hitch I think I can rework a bit from my old Yamaha but was wondering about where to tap into the bikes wiring and do i need to use something like a Hoppy Electronic Power Taillight converter? I think its concept is to hook to the battery then the wiring on the bike, the bike wiring triggers the device to make the trailer lights work powered by the battery.

Thanks
    Last edited by deilenberger; 08-19-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: added year/model to title

Your trailer isn't designed with pulse-modulated "voltages" to lights so you will need some means to convert bike signals.
    Know nothing about the device you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Your trailer isn't designed with pulse-modulated "voltages" to lights so you will need some means to convert bike signals.
    Know nothing about the device you mentioned.
    the company says the trailers gets it power from the converter which get it from the battery, all the bike wiring does is like trip a switch in the converter to signal the converter to turn on the trailer lights.

Hi ??

Per: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46055 - I'm adding the year/model of your bike to the thread title. I might help attract someone who has BTDT. Please do so yourself in future posts to the tech forums - it helps both you and people searching for the same info later on.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

"Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

I installed a hitch and wiring for a Bushtec trailer. They have a harness / CANBUS isolation unit which was easy to install and works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by j.castiglia View Post
    I installed a hitch and wiring for a Bushtec trailer. They have a harness / CANBUS isolation unit which was easy to install and works perfectly.
    that looks like a good setup, thanks