Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: '04 MOA Rally

Originally posted by JULIE
    I've been to alot of rallies, none of them BMW rallies, thought I'd given up on them, but I'm new to the great NW and I was just starting to think '04 in Spokane was a good one to try, but after all I just read,( beer AND riding , the finger, dress scantily?), I'm starting to get a Surgis like impression, PEASE somebody explain to me how BMW riders are different!
    Hi Julie,

Don't give up and do give the MOA Rally a try, particularly since it is in your backyard. You will find in general the finest group of people at MOA rallies. Yes beer is available but I have yet to see it become problematic, more the kick back and relax type of atmosphere. I cannot tell you how many times I have been to a BMW rally (national or local) and have heard the locals say how nice BMW folks are. Many had initial fears when hearing of a "Motorcycle Rally" coming to their communities, but were pleasantly surprised to find out how "well behaved" we really are.
    Best, Bruce
    Four wheels moves the body, two wheels moves the soul.
    09' K1200 LT
    IBA #8547

Originally posted by Gizmo
    Hi Julie,

Don't give up and do give the MOA Rally a try, particularly since it is in your backyard.
    Hi again Julie,

Let me second what Gizmo says. I wasn't too exited about the idea of a bmw rally but decided to go up to Trenton since it was only a 3 hr. ride from my home. Even then, I only went because I signed up for track day. I ended up having a much better time than I expected and now can't wait to ride all the way across the country...and there's not even a track day scheduled!

But beware, if you go you may get hooked like I did and end up planning your vacation time around the rally.

Grant
    Rochester, NY

2004 Rally

My good friend and I are planning on riding to the rally from Charleston, SC. We want to take in the festivities in Cody on the way. Any suggestions as to routing?

This is the best forum ever!
    Paul "Oly" Olsen
    BMWMO 109314
    AMA
    Ask me about my pet peeve

Julie

Re: 2004 Rally

Originally posted by OLY
    My good friend and I are planning on riding to the rally from Charleston, SC. We want to take in the festivities in Cody on the way. Any suggestions as to routing?

This is the best forum ever!
    Wyoming is one of my favorite states even if the distances are extreme. I road west in August................... There are a few places you don't want to miss. The Big Horn Mts is one of them. There is a Medicine Wheel off of Alt 14 outside of Sheridan. It is pre-historic, the Crow were the earliest settlers in the area and even they don't know who built it. The wheel has been adopted by ALL american tribes and is sacred ground for their ceremonies and the 360 view is amazing.............................I don't know how much time you have, but a good route is from Ft Collins Co.. Go NW on 287 into Laramie. Laramie sucks but most of the ride is really good. Continue on 287 to Medicine Bows, I suggest you travel in the day and be aware of gas distances. The gem is 487 N through the Shirley Mts (keep your eyes open, I crested a hill going 85 and almost split an antelope), then go north to Casper ( or if you want to camp go south to Alcove Res.)...............At this point you can either hightail it up highway 25 to Sheridan or take the high plains road 20/26 N to Thermopolis where the dinosaurs are being excavated. The ride down to town is a canyon that follows a stream and there are signs telling you how old the exposed rock is. This is a good lunch stop and there is a dino museum...... ......................continue N to Greybull, go E on 14 into the Big Horn Mts. Also a good place to camp and the well water is SO GOOD it even taste great after a long hot day of being in a saddlebag. ........... Take Alt 14 to the Medicine Wheel. Then on to Cody. They have Rodeos in town every night in the summer.......................NEXT IS THE BEST PART. Go NW on 286 , this road is called Chief Joseph Scenic Hiway and it is Incredible! If I had had more time I would have turned around at Yellowstone and ridden it again! You'll want to go NE on 212 and ride the pass, then turn around, retrace 212 and follow to Cooke City before continuing into Yellowstone. Be on awares, this is where I saw a Grizzly Bear. This will be your best day of riding, the twistys and the views! ( Also if you find yourself in Red Lodge watch for the police, I had one pull me over and try to extort $135 for a 3 day old expired tag while I was in the proccess of moving.)
    Drive fast, take chances, talk back to the cops

She's right. Beartooth Pass is stupendous.

dave
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Need snow tires for bike! TJSCHAFF's Avatar

Thumbs up Wyoming

Don't mis Thermopolis (free hot springs) and Hwy 20 - the Wind River Canyon road - supper two wheel road.

MT State of mind
    Flaming Gorge. Chief Joseph Highway is also known as Sunlight Basin, don't been confused. Definitely Beartooth Pass.

Unregistered

Re: 2004 Rally

Originally posted by OLY
    Hey Oly,

Headed to the UnRally in Cody? Why not go up through Colorado the weekend before and Hit the Top of the Rockies rally by the Colorado Beemers? I'll be there and so will a thousand other folks! http://www.coloradobeemers.com/tor.htm

Unhappy Re: Re: 2004 Rally

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Hey Oly,

Headed to the UnRally in Cody? Why not go up through Colorado the weekend before and Hit the Top of the Rockies rally by the Colorado Beemers? I'll be there and so will a thousand other folks! http://www.coloradobeemers.com/tor.htm

Well, I don't know why it showed me as unregistered, but the above message was from Yeeha! Stephen.
    Yeeha! Stephen
    1150 RT
    "Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie?!" Miss Vicki @ Lost Maples Cafe - Utopia Texas

Originally posted by JULIE
    I've been to alot of rallies, none of them BMW rallies, thought I'd given up on them, but I'm new to the great NW and I was just starting to think '04 in Spokane was a good one to try, but after all I just read,( beer AND riding , the finger, dress scantily?), I'm starting to get a Surgis like impression, PEASE somebody explain to me how BMW riders are different!
    Julie,

The most scantily clad people I've seen at a BMW rally are the guys who take off their one-piece riding suits and then walk around in bike shorts with their riding boots. :yow It's an interesting look to say the least. I hope that you decide to come to Spokane.

In fact, I'll be disappointed if I don't get to meet lots of you forum folks. It will be fun to attach some faces to avatars and user names.

Thanks to all who responded ~ Julie you are a veritable font of information! We are limited as to how much we can do and see as we only have 20 days for the round-trip. The Rockies event sounds tempting though ~ I used to live in Silver Plume and Tinytown Colorado so I am familiar with the astounding scenery.

So far the plan is to go up through Chicago and go 'over the top' on the way out and take a southerly route on the return trip
    Paul "Oly" Olsen
    BMWMO 109314
    AMA
    Ask me about my pet peeve

Oly wrote:

> So far the plan is to go up through Chicago and go 'over the top' on the way out and take a southerly route on the return trip

Well, then. You'll have to consider the Lunatic Fringe Rally July 11-13 in High River, Alberta. Those Canadians sure know how to have a good time.
    Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Originally posted by boxergrrlie
    Julie,

The most scantily clad people I've seen at a BMW rally are the guys who take off their one-piece riding suits and then walk around in bike shorts with their riding boots. :yow
    Indeed. This is a classic rally sight.

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Originally posted by Visian
    Indeed. This is a classic rally sight.

He looks to have the appropriate sunburn as well.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Grumpy
    That is a problem when riding with a one piece suit, although several cold beers change it to a fashion statement.