Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: '04 MOA Rally

Where is the rally going to be in Spokane ?
    Streets and X-streets
    My maps don't show Fairgrounds or Expo Center.

MT State of mind
    404 N Havana, near Sprague and Broadway, North of I-90 exits 283-286, cross streets Fancher and Freya. Just look for the big empty block between the railroad switching yard (6 sets of tracks, I think) and Felts Field municipal airport.

MT State of mind
    2004 BMW MOA National Rally, Spokane, WA
    Chapter Two - Being There
    (see previous page for Chapter One)

The rally site is about four miles from downtown via I-90. Be prepared: Spokane is a Big City. Sure, thatÔÇÖs my hick perspective. I found myself riding in downtown traffic with three or four lanes all going one way, circling the blocks to figure out how many more I had to go down before I could find the correct one-way that would bring me back, closer to where I wanted to be, because I just couldnÔÇÖt get there from where I was. You city folks know all about one-way street grids.

You will pay for parking in downtown, either on the street or in one of the parking garages. Downtown Spokane is made for walking. There are skyway bridges that connect 15 blocks of buildings to each other, above the traffic, so you can circumnavigate and never touch pavement.

I know the rally committee will have lots of ideas and suggestions for where to stay, where to eat and what to do. Consider these as unofficial offerings.

Where to eat: Some of these are my favorites or were recommended to me by friends as I was heading out on my trip. IÔÇÖll rank them $=cheap to $$$ = expensive. Of course, itÔÇÖs all relative, right? Right along the Riverfront Park area and within a few blocks of Front and Riverside streets, you will find Cyrus OÔÇÖLearyÔÇÖs $ (their pies are sold in some grocery stores ÔÇô this is eating at the mother ship), The Onion $, Steak House $$, Mustard Seed $$, Azteca Mexican $ (along the river near the Doubletree), AnkenyÔÇÖs $$$ (at the Ridpath Hotel on the uppermost floor ÔÇô a killer view across the valley), The Old Spaghetti Factory $$. Across the Monroe St bridge is MilfordÔÇÖs Fish House $$$. Near Sprague and Maple are Elk Caf?® $$ and FrankÔÇÖs Diner $$.

One place you may want to visit is the Hot Rod Caf?® $$. It is in Idaho, at exit 6, Seltice Way, Post Falls. Beaudry, the BMW dealer, is at the same exit, about 20 miles East of the rally site. The food ranges far and wide, there are classic cars and even a bike on display, and the TV monitors play videos from car shows. Fliers for all the car and bike events are posted here. Next door to the Hot Rod Caf?® is Easy Rider Road House, an independent American Iron motorcycle shop. Eye candy.

Where to stay: The motels near the rally site are your typical $-$$ trucker and sales people spots. Those along the I-90 corridor are the usual $$ chains. In downtown you will find some great old hotels. Top of the $$$ list would be Hotel Lusso, The Davenport (recently restored to her full glory) and the Ridpath. Along the river you will find the $$-$$$ convention hotel-type places: Doubletree, Fairfield Inn, Marriott.

DonÔÇÖt overlook staying out of town a bit. I know the rally committee would like to bring all the business to the Spokane area, but you could stay at Lake Coeur dÔÇÖAlene, Idaho and ride in 30 miles (unfortunately all on Interstate 90).

There is a KOA campground off of exit 293.

MT State of mind
    Maybe this will help:
    See map here

I had to provide a link, I couldn't get the map to display here. Sorry.
    Last edited by Montana; 07-24-2003 at 01:43 AM.

Clay

Talking '04 National Rally

Look'n forward to the National Rally in Spokane, Washington. Spent a year near Liberty Lake(Right on the Wash./Idaho border) when my father was stationed at Fairchild AFB. Also I hear Coeur D'Alene can be hoot to visit

Re: All National MOA Rallies Suck

Originally posted by Jim Shaw
    [With tongue firmly lodged in cheek]

... snip
    What? I can hear you but I can't understand you.

Could you take your tongue out of your cheek, speak more slowly and directly into the microphone?

Re: Re: All National MOA Rallies Suck

Originally posted by Visian
    What? I can hear you but I can't understand you.

Could you take your tongue out of your cheek, speak more slowly and directly into the microphone?

Veerrrrrry funnny.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

MT State of mind
    Rally site map:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by Montana
    Rally site map:
    Neat city.

something for the rider with everything

More Spokane stuff
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

MT State of mind
    Chapter Three - Going Somewhere Else While You're There
    (see previous posts/page for Chapters One and Two)

What else to do: It's not dark until nearly 10:00 pm, and until dark itÔÇÖs going to be HOT! Okay, as we say, itÔÇÖs a dry heat. IÔÇÖm sure everyone who was at the 2003 rally in WV will appreciate the difference. Still, it could be anywhere from 85-105 degrees F in the Spokane Valley in July and it is highly unlikely to rain.

If you want to see Grand Coulee Dam and Lake Roosevelt, to the northwest of Spokane, keep in mind that area will likely be even hotter than the Valley.

There is a water park in Spokane at exit 289, Splashdown. Another cool spot is up Hwy 95, Silverwood theme park. They have added a water park. Hwy 95 is about 30 miles east on I-90 near Lake Coeur dÔÇÖAlene.

Or, to cool off, go up. There are a number of roads to choose from that will take you out of the Valley and up to Mt Spokane.

Another great place is in the South Hills: Manito Park at 17th and Grand. This is one place to see the geology of the area; there is a lot of exposed basalt in the park, and little roads wind past the lilac collection, the roses, the pond, and along the Japanese garden.

Roughly 65 miles east on I-90 (past Lake Coeur dÔÇÖAlene) in Kellogg, Idaho is Silver Mountain. The ÔÇ£WorldÔÇÖs Longest GondolaÔÇØ (single stage with 45 towers) lift operates Thursday through Monday and will definitely cool you off.

From Kellogg you can follow the Coeur dÔÇÖAlene River back into the mountains and find a place to swim.

Hey Jim Shaw,re All nationals suck: I loved that !!I see our next rally chair.YOU, for the 2010 rally.How about Whistler/Squamish just in time for the Olympic Winter games?What is WITH that summertime rally anyway??Ski,ride,ski.It's a natural.
    I am peeing my pants until we meet in Spokane.

MT State of mind
    Chapter Four ÔÇô Lions, Tigers and Bears, Oh, My!
    and Submarines, too
    (see previous posts/page for Chapters One, Two and Three)

From Spokane, take or get to Hwy 2 (about 10 miles from rally site if you take Market/Pend Oreille Hwy, to Newport Highway US 2). North of Mead and the intersection of Hwy 206 you will find Cat Tales Zoological Park, a training center where students can intern while caring for about 48 big cats. You can see lions, tigers, puma, leopards, native bobcats and lynx, servals and caracol. (The two bear cubs are due to be traded back this Oct.) You can even feed them (5pm, except Thursday is a fasting day). They offer group entrance rates. An ongoing tour takes about one hour, and you can roam at will (if you dare). Check them out on the Internet at www.cattales.org.

Not ready to go back to the rally? Continue North on Hwy 2, 40 miles from Cat Tales, stop at the coffee shack in the Subway parking lot in Newport WA for a great smoothie, then 25 miles more to Sandpoint, ID and beautiful Lake Pend Oreille.

Being 1,150 feet deep, this lake is used to test submarine technology. You can tour the facility near Bayview at Farragut State Park. To get there, take Hwy 95 across the river (like a causeway bridge) and go about 30 miles to the south end of the lake. 24 miles south on Hwy 95 (past Silverwood theme park) you will hit I-90 at Lake Coeur dÔÇÖAlene. Less than 30 miles and youÔÇÖre back at the rally site.

(This image was taken from Hope, ID, looking West at the Islands of Hope. The small white spot docked at the far shore in the left of the photo is a plane.)

Future Rally site idea

An earlier post-er mentioned that 2 years ago the site was Redmond, and Missoula a few years earlier. All great places in their own right, but the same general region. Likewise, Trenton, Midland and Rhinebeck are in "similar" regions. Charleston was a good choice, without discussing rally format. WHY NOT try somewhere central? Missouri (MOA home state), Arkansas (beautiful country) or maybe western Tennessee? What about eastern edge of the Rockys in Colorado? Missouri could be great. Easterners could get there, Westerners could get there. Just a thought.

DuQuoin, Oshkosh, Midland, Fredricksburg, Durango. These have all been in the last ten years.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Unregistered

'04 Rally / GS Training

What sort of interest is out there for a GS training camp the week before the Spokane Rally? Possible ideas include:

Classroom sessions
    Range Sessions
    Trail training
    GS Ride
    GS English Trials Competition (ala the NorCal 49er Rally)

Feel free to e-mail your comments and ideas to.

Ramey "Coach" Stroud
    Ramey@wvi.com