Thread: Vario top case lock help

Vario top case lock help

My top case had stopped locking. I have found after taking the mechanism cover off the red shaft is twisting in the middle instead of sliding the lever across on the bottom. I removed the rod and locked it manually and the mechanism didnt seem to be in any sort of bind. I only needed for backrest support on my last ride for my wife but have a long trip comming up in three weeks and this case will be loaded making digging for the slide a problem. Anyone know what could be casuing this or where I can get another shaft. I have thought of twisting this shaft until it looks straight again or a little beyond straight and leaving it for a vew days to see if it would work again. Seems this piece should have been made of aluminum or steel.

The red (a reflective red orange locking bar on cases I've had) thingy you refer to is alu on cases I've had & if it was bent , then perhaps the slot in it is not "tight" on the shaft(wallowed out?) that turns it? Just a guess from having mine bent on a sidecase when the buggerman tried to get in it one night...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.