Thread: Coolant leak

Coolant leak

Has anyone else had a coolant leak with their GTL or GT? Mine started leaking at about 10,600 miles while on a trip. When I called the dealer for an appointment, this did not seem to surprise them.

Yup. . Fairly common, will be covered by warranty. You can ride the bike, just visually check your coolant level. Mine didn't drop off of full by more than 1/16th of any inch in 3000-3500 miles of riding while waiting for replacement.

Lots of info on k1600forum.com

No longer a member here
    Where does it leak?? The water pump?

Coolant leak

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Where does it leak?? The water pump?
    My 2013 GTL has shown signs of coolant leaking from behind the waterpump.I first noticed a stain on the exhaust below the waterpump, but it wasn't wet. I cleaned off the stain and have been watching for more evidence.In my case the leak has stopped. My bike currently has 4,000 miles on it. My dealer said it is common but not a concern. The dealer said the cause is a ceramic seal behind the waterpump. The dealer said BMW is aware but has no fix other than replacing the seal which would most likely leak again. The dealer said the leak would not cause major coolant lose which could cause overheating.The dealer assured me it would be a covered repair under warranty.

Ahhhhh, yeah.

Rick

Dealer replaced the water pump so no more leaks at this time.