Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Torque wrench with 1/4" to 3/8" adapter

Torque wrench with 1/4" to 3/8" adapter

I need to use my 1/4" torque wrench in a situation that requires 11Nm of torque. My wrench's range is from 6-32Nm...so it is my preferred tool since my 3/8" torque wrench's dial begins at 20Nm. I am using it to tighten an oil filter and the oil filter wrench requires either a 3/8" square drive or a 19mm socket, which I only have in 3/8". However, I do have a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter that would allow me to use the 1/4" torque wrench.

Anyone see a problem using a 1/4" torque wrench with such an adapter? Obviously the parts all connect and work...but any reason to doubt the wrench's accuracy with such a setup?

Thanks!
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

use the adapter..no issues from my point of view....

wyman
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    it will not effect the accuracy at all, torque is torque.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Thanks guys!
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

There is a shade tree method to that one though, I think, and check on this, 1.25 turns after first contact?

There is a conversion, I think, if an extension is used though, not much, iirc, though

anyone ever have the wrench re calibrated?

Sounds like you have the two wrenches I have, a Craftsman and a Harbor Freight

As long as the adapter (whether it's a "reducer" or "enlarger" for the square drive) is on the same axis as the drive and the socket, there is no issue.
    It's only when the adapter is offset, or "lengthening", that you need to recalculate the torque value (desired vs. actual applied).

Oil filters aren't "critical" as to torque (well, at least not for 1100/1150s)... wet the O-ring seal, snug 'er down, firm enough to make sure you'll get a good seal but not so tight that it'll give you grief next time you take it off. And always make sure that the old seal came out with the old filter.

good rule of thumb with oil filters is 1/3 turn after it stops spinning freely.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Prevost (30 miles north of Montreal), Quebec, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    good rule of thumb with oil filters is 1/3 turn after it stops spinning freely.
    Sorry there is no rule!

How much to tighten after the gasket has made contact with the base can and will vary depending mostly on the gasket selected by the filter manufacturer. The gasket will vary in hardness, thickness and shape.

The best rule is to follow the indication on the fillter, Mann & Hummel oil filter for my RT is a MW75 and it is indicated +3/4 turns after the gasket has made contact with the base.

Here is some more information on Installation Instructions for Spin-On filters from The Filter Manufacturers Council

http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...ish/93-3R1.pdf

Best regards
    2011 R1200RT Triple Gray, ABS, ASC, ESAII, TPMS & Alarm.
    Wunderlich Engine and Rear Prot. Bar, Oil Cooler Guard, CSS Tank Pads, Paralever Slider, Mirror Adapters & Flash Mirrors,
    Integrated GPS Mount & Touratech Zumo 660 Locking Mount, Russell Day-Long Seat.

Egad- this is as bad as an oil thread.

My first thought about reaching for a torque wrench to put on an oil filter is to to think about getting someone else with more experience to do the work, before something gets broken.

There are only two things that matter when putting a filter on- get it tight enough not to leak and don't be dumb enough to strip a thread or get it so tight you need a breaker bar to get it off. Needing a torque wrench to do that suggest the need to pay better attention to Dirty Harry's line " a man has got to know his limitations"

If you can put the lid on a jar of pickles and not have it leak, a filter is easy...

+1

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Egad- this is as bad as an oil thread.

My first thought about reaching for a torque wrench to put on an oil filter is to to think about getting someone else with more experience to do the work, before something gets broken.

There are only two things that matter when putting a filter on- get it tight enough not to leak and don't be dumb enough to strip a thread or get it so tight you need a breaker bar to get it off. Needing a torque wrench to do that suggest the need to pay better attention to Dirty Harry's line " a man has got to know his limitations"

If you can put the lid on a jar of pickles and not have it leak, a filter is easy...
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

Consider that the gasket is a big fat squishy rubber ring, then add that it is oiled prior to installation...
    There is going to be a range in which it will seal properly, but not damage anything.
    I have to think that the "spec" is in reality (oh my gosh) actually a strong guideline for "This is about what it ought to feel like."

Quote Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
    There is a shade tree method to that one though, I think, and check on this, 1.25 turns after first contact?

There is a conversion, I think, if an extension is used though, not much, iirc, though
    I hope this was tongue in cheek! There is a difference between an adapter and an extension. Use of an adapter...no problem...because the effective length of the torque wrench didn't change. An extension may or may not change the effective length of the torque wrench. If it did change the length, then some math will be needed.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

If my filter is leaking how will I know
    David
    1989 K100LT

Quote Originally Posted by k100lt View Post
    If my filter is leaking how will I know
    That depends on if it leaks internally or externally.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    That depends on if it leaks internally or externally.
    Since he owns a K brick (where the filter lives in the oil sump) I suspect this was a tongue in cheek comment..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche