Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1976 R75/6 Electrics

Glad the problem is solved. BTW, ride with the headlights on all the time: it's a safety factor and will help you avoid interactions with the local constabulary as PA requires the lights be on all the time.
    61 Gold Star, 76 R90S, 03 CBR600RR, '13 690 Duke, '14 Street Triple R

Thanks for that advice, ccolwell. I have started doing that already. I also ordered a new tail light from Rick at Motorrad. That should arrive shortly and will have the added advantage of substantially lower power draw. My 30+ years with a sailboat makes me ultra conscience of amperage draw and I don't think that is unwarranted with this motorcycle. Otherwise, things seem to be running well (which always surprises me after a big job!). Have put a bit less than 150 miles on so far. However...the weather is going to be nice this weekend so it looks like we are back to the boat and a new set of problems!

Advantages/Disadvantages: I have to believe that a plain and simple digital readout will draw less current (of its own) than anything with lights. A digital type may be more difficult to see, depending on where and how you mount it.

The industry standard 2-volt LED may draw between 4 and 12 milliamps (depending on size & color), and a colorful unit has several of these; while a voltmeter with a 10,000-ohm impedance will draw 1.2 mA. A "quality" DVM will have a much higher impedance and draw even less current. Less current will mean that there will be less voltage drop through your added DVM wiring, so the readout should be more accurate (given that the DVM itself is also accurate).

Either way, actual current draw is not an issue since it would be so small.

The DATEL digital meters are nice. I have the 4 digit LED version - there's also an LCD version. I wired it right to the battery and added an on/off switch so that I can check the battery when the bike is just sitting around.

The meter is quite accurate - agrees with my old Fluke DMM. The LED version is bright and self-powered - just 2 leads. And, the thing is potted in epoxy so that it is like a little plastic brick. There are a bunch of ways you can mount them, but if you have a fairing, that's an advantage because you can stick the thing deep back where you can see it, but the sun does not get at it too often.

The LED version draws 13mA max and is availiable from bikemeters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Advantages/Disadvantages: I have to believe that a plain and simple digital readout will draw less current (of its own) than anything with lights. A digital type may be more difficult to see, depending on where and how you mount it.
    What brand digital voltmeter did you install. Any links so I can see one? Where can I get one?