Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When camping on the road, what do you eat?

This came across my facebook feed: http://bmwmoa.org/News/GeneralIntere...-the-Road.aspx
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMOTO View Post
    This came across my facebook feed:
    You eat Facebook?
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    You eat Facebook?
    I like junk food!
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

advrider.com
    I attended the 2009 MOA rally with a box of Wheat Thins, a bottle of vodka, and $50 to my name. I did 1650 miles that trip.

If it early in the morning...the roadkill is usually still warm....and fresh!
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

What is healthy?
    What do you normally eat?
    What do you want to eat on the road?
    Practice
    Experiment
    Tools
    Spices

My thoughts on healthy are everything in balance and moderation including balance and moderation.

There are some things I eat regularly and miss on the road. Over the years it is a balance between giving them up and experimenting to find ways to bring them along.

I enjoy exploring local foods in various forms when on an extended trip so eating out is often part of the plan. Buying local at farmer stands and markets is often part of the plan.

For me, good cooking on the road comes as the result of experimenting and practice at home. Like a recipe, figure out how to make it portable. In the off season I will use my travel cooking kit to cook a meal at home to try out new tools and how to make a meal idea with them.

Spices - Bag wine and a good selection of spices can make a survival on the road meal fine dining
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by EMOTO View Post
    I like junk food!
    Maybe for lunch if I'm going to ride on after but definitely not for supper.
    I like to sleep at night.

I tip my cap to you guys with the Jet Boil and the Mountain House.
    I got my space blanket around here somewhere now where did I put it . . . . . . . . .

I usually like to keep it simple. 3 or 4 cans of soup and instant oatmeal in the tail trunk is my baseline. That covers dinner and breakfast if nothing else strikes my fancy that day. If I decide on a restaurant or something else then I have that option. I also carry breakfast bars, chips, nuts, cinnamon rolls, etc. I use a Coleman Apex dual fuel stove and small cook set to do the cooking duties.
    Neal - '09 R1200GS / '81 R65

Easy answer is that IF! my wife is along I/we eat like kings & if not, well, it's harder times!
    Truthfully we do what many do when we camp & that's a combo of eat out vs. stay at camp & cook "good,real food" (not what drummerboy eats!) just like @ home & depending on how tired/timing & whats in the fridge.
    If I'm traveling alone on MC I do roadside ala truckstop coffee (OXXO in Mexico) & a sweet roll/banana & lunch is peanuts & a cold pop with supper a sit down decent meal as situation affords. I've become far too lazy to bake tater's in the fire, beans & bacon in a skillet & all the traditional camping things of youth. It all boils down to your personal food standard & whats available & how capable(or lazy/not lazy) you happen to be. Thus, only the OP themself can answer this one
    P.S. If you even have to ask you probably don't eat as good as I do!
    E.G.: Last night's supper was: Peaches & cream corn picked yesterday(in the rain!), empanadas filled using fresh jalapenos & vidalia onions sauteed with chorizos sausage & fresh avocado slices & queso cheese grilled in olive oil with side of fresh salsa made with heirloom tomatoes,onions peppers & cilantro(no not the canned /cooked salsa-FRESH!) & guacamole with sour cream & corn chips & a cactus lime Michelob beer. All of which could be done while camping if you like-well the salsa might not be the fresh kind but the rest is easy enough campground food too.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.