Thread: Snowflake wheels

Snowflake wheels

What snowflake wheels, front and rear, will retro fit a 1976 R90/6? Thank you.

1977 to 1980 R bikes with ATE calipers in the front and a drum on the back, unless you want to switch over to a disc on the back.
    Will require a little fabrication.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Cainey View Post
    1977 to 1980 R bikes with ATE calipers in the front and a drum on the back, unless you want to switch over to a disc on the back.
    Will require a little fabrication.
    My '78 R100/7 has a single disc brake up front (as did my older R90/6) and a drum brake in the rear (as did my older R90/6).

Not sure, however, what are interchangeable.

Snowflake wheels

Thank you very much for the info.

Avoid the early ones that have the same "cap" in the center of the left side of the rear wheel (held on with several bolts) as did your /6 originally. Later ones (79-84 R100 RT for example) have a different simplified left side without the bolt on center. Fronts (other than the recalled ones) seem to be uniform, but again with a different grease seal arrangement.
    Last edited by amiles; 08-16-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    Avoid the early ones that have the same "cap" in the center of the left side of the rear wheel (held on with several bolts) as did your /6 originally. Later ones (79-84 RT for example) have a different simplified left side without the bolt on center. Fronts (other than the recalled ones) seem to be uniform, but again with a different grease seal arrangement.

Why avoid the "capped" bolt-on center on the rear Snowflake? Mine has it and I really like it. I can unbolt the 5 screws pull off the cap, and can carefully grease both bearings without having to pull seals and replace them. The gasket easily reseals (as long as it isn't ripped or torn) and in just a few minutes I am on my way!

What is so good about the "later" design?

Just curious.

Perhaps this will be of help note #4 in particular. If one is trying to "source" Snowflake wheels (as it appears that this poster is, I believe the later wheel has advantages. If you have the older 5 bolt cap style in good working order, I wouldn't replace them with the newer just to replace them. New ones are listed at $702.00 ouch. Last I knew the older design was a bit less from the breakers when they had them. New fronts in silver are listed as not available new.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/catch.htm