Thread: Throttle/Clutch Issue

Throttle/Clutch Issue

I have a 2002 1150RT. Recently I've noticed that when I pull in the clutch to shift, the engine would either maintain rpm or on occasion increase rpms, then slowly drop down. Doesn't seem to happen before the bike gets up to operating temperature. I can go up to 4500 rpm and shift without problems, but when the engine gets closer to 5000, the problem kicks in.

Any ideas?

I'm going to assume you are attempting to close the throttle somewhat as you upshift. With the bike warmed up from riding and in neutral, if you rev the engine to 5000 RPM and let go of the throttle, does the twist grip grip return to the idle position and the engine speed drop back down quickly like it should; same as it does at 4500 RPM? If you do the same thing with the clutch lever pulled in, are the results the same?

My suspicion is that you have something hanging up in the twist grip, the cables or the throttle bodies. If that is the case, opening the throttle enough to free rev to 5000 RPM may not tell you anything because you likely have the throttle opened farther to reach 5000 RPM on the road, under load.

If free revving doesn't show you anything, I'd try the same thing with the bike turned off and see if you can see or feel the twist grip or the butterfly pulleys on the throttle bodies dragging / returning slowly. Messing with the clutch shouldn't have any impact at that point unless you have something really odd happening.

what he said.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Ditto.
    You didn't state the mileage, but it may be time for new throttle cables.

Just short of 25k. I've been out of town the last few days and will start looking at this on Monday.

My 95' BMW R1100R has the same cables on it that came from the factory. 67K miles.
    When was the bike serviced last and by whom?
    It could be a vacuum leak.