Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1972 R75/5...Should I?

nicden13

1972 R75/5...Should I?

Hi everyone! So I'm back in the market for another airhead. Came across a '72 R75/5 with maybe 50k or better on the clock. Was sitting for about 17 years in father-in-law's shed and the owner's wife took it to a very well known and trusted BMW mechanic here and dumped over $7,000 in it to get it back to life. Gave it to husband as a surprise anniversary gift. Nice! So, I went and saw the bike today and went through all of the receipts with the owner (great guy-selling for health reasons). Just about the whole electrical system was rebuilt, new diode board and all. Tires new and carbs rebuilt. I also called and spoke to the BMW mechanic who did all the work and knows the bike inside and out and he verified everything the owner told me. Mechanic told me the biggest problem with the bike is that it is not getting ridden enough. And I get that was not being funny. He really said that is the biggest problem. Bike started right up. With electric start. Did not try kick start. Owner seems to think the tank is some sort of upgrade because of its size. I'm not sure if that was an option at the time.
    So because I have never owned a bike of this age, I'm wondering what you all think.
    Oh, and he wants $4,000 for it.
    ANY input much appreciated.

$4000 is not bad for an airhead in good condition, especially one that starts up and idles well cold. $4000 is a great price for one in excellent condition.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Photos?

James.A
    If you bought a $1000 bike, you'd have that kind of money in it when it was running right.

The biggest thing to know about early 70's airheads is the unleaded valve conversion. I own one that I bought in 1989, and it eventually needed that repair. If the receipts show that work being done, you would be golden.

advrider.com
    Really, this sounds like a fine deal. It is indeed cheaper to let a previous owner restore a vehicle. Haha. I can't imagine dumping $7k in a bike at one time and it not being nearly immaculate.. and a $7k+ bike at $4k sounds good.

If he specifically made mention of a large or aftermarket tank, that itself could be valuable. If it's just the standard large tank, then not so much.

I wonder why an electrical system would be rebuilt. If it was "upgraded" (modernized), that could also be a valuable addition for some perspective buyers. I still have the stock 70's systems on my airheads, though.

Pictures would be nice..

nicden13
    I've tried to post some pictures but the upload button does nothing when I press it...

Quote Originally Posted by nicden13 View Post
    I've tried to post some pictures but the upload button does nothing when I press it...
    file may be too big, I think it needs to be 156k or something ridiculously tiny. Or you can link it to photobucket or something similar.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by nicden13 View Post
    The process is also somewhat slow with no indication it is working. If the picture is of a reasonable size (156K was mentioned...it can even be a little bigger and the software will trim to fit), just wait...it might take upwards of a minute.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Nice looking bike. Rigged out for Krauser type bags, clean, a large 6.3 tank not a custom something, and looks like it is all there. Are there any of the reciepts for the $7000 of work or at least a list of what is done? Are the bags there? Included in the deal?........Good find for you......God bless........Dennis

nicden13
    Yes, I have seen all of the receipts and personally know the BMW mechanic that did the work. He really is the go-to guy in this area for all things BMW bikes. There are no bags included but he did replace the side stand with a Brown. He said there is some room in the price. I'm just not sure where to begin the negotiations.

P Monk

Where is the bike? Hee Hee I have $4k

If you are confident in the mechanics I think you are being offered a great deal. I paid that much for my 90/6 and then spent at least that much getting
    the engine rebuilt. And I would think the /5 would be worth more than that. You might try to negotiate the price enough for a toaster tank.
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Pics look good, you've got the receipts and the word of a skilled mechanic that you trust.

As others have said, if you bought an inexpensive airhead to start with, it wouldn't take long at all to get to $4K to get it back on the road.

James has forgotten more about R75's than I'll ever know.

So, I'd say get the bike if it's an R75 that you want. The price is fair, condition is very good, why not go for it?
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Now that I've seen the pictures, I'd STRONGLY advise you walk away from this bike. And, please forward the seller's contact information to me!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

offer him $3500

and split the difference with him... that will give you almost enough to add the bags and racks.... or at least a start towards them.
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......