Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How do I keep a dry bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by aklepacki View Post
    I haven't worn cotton underwear for the past 7 years. I only wear Duluth Trading's Buck Naked Diamond knit performance nylon wicking boxer briefs. I wore them when working outdoors everyday. Even they don't help when I ride.
    Hmmm, interesting. I gotta point out that peoples' sweat differs in many ways- some folks are more or less acidic, for example. This could have to do with anything from diet to general composition and naturally occurring metabolic variances.

Maybe you should try something besides nylon? Something natural like silk, or merino wool? I ordered a pair of 150 gram merino wool Icebreaker under shorts. Anxious to see how they work. Never had this problem myself, but I swear by breathable fabrics and layers for many uses. When I'm riding, for long distance I wear leather, and locally I typically wear jeans. Long distance could mean 12 hour (or longer) days, "local" could mean anything from across town to up'ards of 200 miles or more. I've worked in heavy industrial environments for over 30 years and never had to deal with Monkey Butt... lucky me, eh?

Good luck!
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Maybe try these

Cool fashion trend: South Korean women wear 'refrigerator pants' to beat the heat. OK, maybe not.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/13/wo...rticle_sidebar

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

I guess everyone gets it once in awhile, but try to make sure all the areas are clean before leaving. Use cottonelle wet wipes after you go, and then powder, powder and more powder. You're probably giving yourself diaper rash.

They even sell Monkey Butt Powder for what your describing. Try some.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by 22600 View Post
    Cool fashion trend: South Korean women wear 'refrigerator pants' to beat the heat. OK, maybe not.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/13/wo...rticle_sidebar

DW

Oh man, those pants are it! Gotta get me some of those....
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    W/O a doubt the best seat I ever owned. I let it go when I sold my RT to Ted Moyer and now wish I had it back.
    The most expensive seat I ever owned, and didn't like it. Went with Russell again instead, but hey, all butts are different.

As to the other butt problem, Gold Bond makes a couple of powders, Zeasorb is another good one, and there are others.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I too used to have this problem...I used to call it 'boat butt' (the feeling you get from sitting on an aluminum jon boat bench seat for a couple hours). The best tip I ever got was from a long distance bicycle racer. Now how to say this tactfully....use a razor and shave your backside and 'nether regions' clean and smooth, and keep it that way. Be thorough in your efforts. The irritation is from the hair folicles and the hair also keeps thing hot and messy. I never get boat butt or monkey butt anymore! And if you shave your legs, your pants will be much more comfy too...

Now that I'm letting all of my secrets out, (hey, I'm among friends right?) I use clippers and keep the hair on my upper thighs cut short, but not shaved.

Then try the bead rider, and make sure it is big enough to overlap the sides of your seat, so the air can get under it. On a chilly day, I can feel the breeze on my behind, and I ride in Carhart jeans or regular jeans.

YMMV!!!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

I think that hair is for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    I too used to have this problem...I used to call it 'boat butt' (the feeling you get from sitting on an aluminum jon boat bench seat for a couple hours). The best tip I ever got was from a long distance bicycle racer. Now how to say this tactfully....use a razor and shave your backside and 'nether regions' clean and smooth, and keep it that way. Be thorough in your efforts. The irritation is from the hair folicles and the hair also keeps thing hot and messy. I never get boat butt or monkey butt anymore! And if you shave your legs, your pants will be much more comfy too...

Now that I'm letting all of my secrets out, (hey, I'm among friends right?) I use clippers and keep the hair on my upper thighs cut short, but not shaved.

Then try the bead rider, and make sure it is big enough to overlap the sides of your seat, so the air can get under it. On a chilly day, I can feel the breeze on my behind, and I ride in Carhart jeans or regular jeans.

YMMV!!!

I suggest that "aklepacki" read this first. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0101833AATEodN

I was scouring the internet looking for some solution to the problem you are having. I found none but I did find the above site with info from a person that tried shaving his butt and the outcome. I have nothing to do with it's content; I make this disclaimer now.

DWYii
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

I'm sticking to my stance that it's all about evaporation and airflow.
    Trap moisture, then stew in it, and you'll get Monkey Butt.
    No amount of powders, sprays, or anything else will cure the problem.
    Take all that money you spend on this crap and buy some natural fiber, light weight wicking underwear.
    Shaving might actually help, because it facilitates not trapping sweat/moisture.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Just read a test of a bunch of products meant to take care of this problem, on some men's website yesterday.

There are two basic choices:

Cornstarch based products (J&J Baby Powder, some sprays, etc..) and Talc based products.

Of all the products the "medicated" talc based ones came in first, and I seem to recall the GoldBond spray being tops. Good performance at a reasonable price. He did caution to spray from 8-9" away from the boys since the propellant is a refrigeration coolant, and spraying closer might end up with frosty boys.

Third on the list was the Gold Bond powder.. only reason it was 3rd was the propensity for it go fly around everywhere when applying it. It worked as well as the two other products. On a cost basis - it's one of the cheapest.

AntiMonkey Butt powder was reviewed - it's basically a talc based product at a high price.

Cornstarch based products were rated low since it tends to absorb the moisture and turn to corn-mush, making for an even worse experience.

Most of the others were similar, but didn't have the "medication" (menthol actually) of Gold Bond, or were priced at some absolutely silly price (but packed in a manly looking container with a catchy name..)

I'm a Gold Bond fan. Used with LD-Comfort shorts under pants under my AeroStich, butt wetness has ceased to be a problem. I get butt pain, but it's the other kind caused by getting old, not having a sweaty butt.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Rally Rat

Smile

Depends !!!!!!

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBarnhart View Post
    Depends !!!!!!
    That's what I was thinking! If they can absorb bladder contents, surely they would handle a little sweat!

How old are we?? No wonder BMW can't attract a younger customer base, we sit around and discuss some poor guys sweaty butt......

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I have a question: do monkeys really have this problem?
    Only when they ride their motorcycles.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Nickname: Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    I'm sticking to my stance that it's all about evaporation and airflow.
    Trap moisture, then stew in it, and you'll get Monkey Butt.
    No amount of powders, sprays, or anything else will cure the problem.
    Take all that money you spend on this crap and buy some natural fiber, light weight wicking underwear.
    Shaving might actually help, because it facilitates not trapping sweat/moisture.
    I agree, as I suffer from SAS (swamp ass syndrome) with the best, er, worst of them. Since I live and ride primarily in Wisconsins I have that going for me. But even a 75 degree day will eventually leave me with the "dampy packies". Ligth weight wicking underwear may work for some but not for me and others with SAS. I paid $35 for BMW's rider unders and it did not help either. What also affects SAS is layers. Most of us wear underwear, then jeans, then tuck at least a t-shirt into the jeans, and now we have three layers of cotton or cotton/synthetic blends packed on top of each other, doing a good job of trapping heat just like they're supposed to do for cold weather application. Speaking of cold, when I downhill ski in the winter, those multi-layers along with Columbia ski-pants do a good job at producing SAS even in 15 to 20 degrees F.

You can boast about all the technical do-dad fancy pants undies you want, Monkey-Butt powder, etc, etc, it comes down to airflow, ventilation and minimizing layers. I have tried everything (but an Airhawk), and the only things that work are those that allow airflow. So a bead-seat is a real alternative even if it looks a bit different. The newer "prescription strength anti-perspirants" also help if you slather it around the nether lands down there. So I often slather on the high-perf antiperspirant, ditch the unders and go commando, and now ride on a seat of my own design with ducted airflow under me.

It helps, but not perfect yet. So the next seat I build for my R1200RS project bike will have a center notch lengthwise in the seat to provide a gap for airflow between me and the vynil (and some clearance for Mr. Happy and the twins).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ANDYVH; 08-21-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    W/O a doubt the best seat I ever owned. I let it go when I sold my RT to Ted Moyer and now wish I had it back.

Did the Redmond 1000 on that seat thru some of the hottest parts of the country, WY, UT, ID, Eastern OR and never even thought about my bottom being hot. A non-issue
    This is indeed is amazing airflow under the butt. Not sure anything can stay dry at even lower speeds.

Works really well that way, and comfy too. Little slippery with textile pants though.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Beads, also work well in the rain. On cool days may be a little to cool.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com