Thread: Driveshaft failure 2007 R1200GSA

Hybrid View

Driveshaft failure 2007 R1200GSA

I was cruising at 62mph on the Alcan Hwy 90 miles east of Whitehorse, Yukon Territory when I felt a vibration. I immediately pulled over and the exact instant I stopped the drive train locked up -- a catastrophic driveshaft failure. I was very fortunate because had I gone on a few seconds longer this could've been nasty. My bike had only 48,530 on it when this failure occurred. I have read on other forums of similar driveshaft failures. I've put together a document and pictures to send to BMW North America detailing this. Does anyone have a name of a person and address I should send this to? Thanks, Brian
    Last edited by fossilsx15; 08-14-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: misspell

Glad you're safe!

Please also report the incident to the NHTSA so that they will be better able to detect any trends in such failures: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInCA View Post
    Glad you're safe!

Please also report the incident to the NHTSA so that they will be better able to detect any trends in such failures: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
    James, thanks -- yes I intend to report to NHTSA as well --

I want to start a dialogue with BMW because it's happening way too much --

Yes, I realize how lucky I am -- I ended up being holed up in Whitehorse for a week waiting for a replacement shaft --

Experience suggests your "dialogue" with BMW will be about as productive as a dialogue with with your driveshaft.

That, of course, is the other reason to report to the NHTSA -- a dialogue with them will be "an offer [BMW] cannot refuse," so to speak.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInCA View Post
    Experience suggests your "dialogue" with BMW will be about as productive as a dialogue with with your driveshaft.

That, of course, is the other reason to report to the NHTSA -- a dialogue with them will be "an offer [BMW] cannot refuse," so to speak.
    What he said.

Glad you didn't get catapulted!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Glad you are okay and got it fixed. I don't understand why so many feel the need to report every problem they have to BMW and NHTSA. All mechanical devices have failures and some last longer than others. I have had u-joints go out on vehicles numerous times back when most cars where real wheel drive and I would never have even considered blaming the manufacturer. I have replaced half shafts on front wheel drive cars as well and again I did not blame the manufacturer. Mechanical items break and some sooner than others so just move forward and enjoy your ride and avoid the frustration you will experience trying to get the manufacturer to take responsibility. There is no way you would prove in a court of law that it's the fault of BMW so what are you really expecting to accomplish going down that road? Life is short, enjoy the ride and avoid spending time like a cat chasing it's tail.

Just my humble opinion and I wish you many great years of riding without anymore drive line failures.
    Chuck Senn
    2006 R1200RT (Red)