Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 96

Thread: Is Mexico Safe for Riders?

  1. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    B.P., MN
    Posts
    730
    Are there, or are there not, specific areas into which it would not be advisable for one to travel by whatever conveyance? And these areas should be avoided? Maybe these areas, if such exist, could be discussed?

    Heard tell there are some who winter over across the border for the entire winter in areas that are completely safe. Passing thought, one would think that by this time in history, after what transpired in the twentieth century, humankind would have learned the lessons of human existence well enough that peace between humans would be a completed task. It must be that there is a defect in human nature. I think the Ancients discussed this a few centuries back in such writings known as the classics. This is not a troll or a bait, a simple arcane thought. Awhile back was close to Tucson and a short sprint across the border and little RR and curiosity. But didn't go. Clicked my red slippers and headed home. Hat tip wizard of oz.

  2. #47
    Registered User LDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    123
    If you bothered to read the included link rather than just being negative about anyone who doesn't want to go to a country with extremely dangerous areas you might know more. And yes, many thousands jump off the roof without injury as well but I'm not going and break my leg just because someone is upset I don't want to do that.
    Last edited by LDB; 02-12-2014 at 01:22 AM. Reason: clarity
    CCC, NRA, OOIDA Life Member
    BMWMOA Member 15945

  3. #48
    Registered User David13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lomita, California
    Posts
    765
    I don't need to read the link. I already know far more about that guy than you can learn from that link. I know who he is, where he was born, what he was riding, where he went, why he wanted to go their, what his riding experience is and about 50 other things, including what he thought he was going to do.
    We are the positive ones.
    Nobody said you have to go to what the media has spoon fed you into believing is a "dangerous country".
    Funny, if you did, you would learn the truth, but you seem to be one of those negative ones who doesn't want to know the truth.
    Just because you are to scared to go doesn't mean anyone else need be.
    Check my posts again. I was there last week.
    Have you ever been to Mexico?
    Do you think people should post fear and other stuff, or what they know about?
    dc

  4. #49
    Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Are there, or are there not, specific areas into which it would not be advisable for one to travel by whatever conveyance? And these areas should be avoided? Maybe these areas, if such exist, could be discussed?

    Heard tell there are some who winter over across the border for the entire winter in areas that are completely safe. Passing thought, one would think that by this time in history, after what transpired in the twentieth century, humankind would have learned the lessons of human existence well enough that peace between humans would be a completed task. It must be that there is a defect in human nature. I think the Ancients discussed this a few centuries back in such writings known as the classics. This is not a troll or a bait, a simple arcane thought. Awhile back was close to Tucson and a short sprint across the border and little RR and curiosity. But didn't go. Clicked my red slippers and headed home. Hat tip wizard of oz.
    Question would be easier to answer 8ninety8 if I knew specifically where you're riding to, so my answer will be general in nature. Going West to East, I usually bypass San Ysidro/Tijuana to cross at Tecate/Campo, at Nogales I always cross at the Mariposa Commercial Crossing rather than downtown, I avoid Ciudad Juarez/El Paso crossing like the plague-I'll cross either West at Columbus, NM or East at Del Rio or Eagle Pass, Texas; and in conclusion I also avoid Brownsville/Matomoros.

    Once I am 100 kilometers South of the Border I have no more fear or worry than I would riding in USA, Canada or Europe. Having spent six years as a Soldier in the United States Army from 1968-1974 (two years of which were overseas) I am still a tough old Gunnery Sergeant at heart, takes one Hell of a lot to make me sweat!

    Now I once again fully agree with the previous comments of David13, I make it a Cardinal Rule never to ride at night in Mexico and I don't get dead drunk downtown!

    I have not ridden a Motocicleta in Mexico City itself for 40 years now, so I don't have any recent experiences: I'd avoid Mexico City, unless someone has better intel!

    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

  5. #50
    Registered User miairhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Otsego, Michigan
    Posts
    2,346
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

  6. #51
    Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    707
    https://www.facebook.com/AllyOwensMissing Ally Owens is missing in Italy! There are more American Citizens missing in Europe than there are in Mexico.

    We AZ Beemers are going to Italy in September to ride the Dolomites and Tuscany, AZ Beemers MOA Club #89 is NOT afraid of Italy! Es verdad, ese!

    http://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=4112.0
    Last edited by beemerdons; 02-13-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

  7. #52
    Registered User David13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lomita, California
    Posts
    765
    How many Americans are missing right here in America? And no news media outlet says one word about them.
    What does that tell you?
    dc

  8. #53
    Survivor akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Land of the Big Sky
    Posts
    3,876
    There are many more Mexicans missing in the USA then there are Americans missing in Mexico.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  9. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    How many Americans are missing right here in America? And no news media outlet says one word about them.
    What does that tell you?
    dc
    I'm not sure actually?

    But as found with a little checking on the net. There appears to be many people {many more than I would have thought} that just simply vanish. Cars, keys,hats,etc...left behind...them? just gone. Kinda spooky actually.

    I hope it is mostly [all] by choice? One site i read stated that several folks every year just just become tired,bored,dissatisfied with their lives....and just walk away???
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

  10. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    68

    My "is Mexico safe" question...

    For anyone who cares to look back at the post that originated this thread, I meant for my question to be tongue-in-cheek. I had just returned from a ride to Copper Canyon. Really enjoyable. Hence my rhetorical question and video/photos posting.

    I really appreciate those who have something useful to add, as well as those who have good questions about the logistics of entering, riding in, and leaving Mexico. The AZBeemers look like they've got it well sorted out, and of course MotoDiscovery (with whom I took a trip to San Miguel de Allende a few years ago) are on top of it. There are also many other riders who come and go pretty much all the time. As some have suggested, check out the ADV Rider forum.

    I'm always a little taken aback by readers who haven't been, don't know anything about it, and yet still blog about why they don't go. Not sure that's relevant or a useful addition to the literature!

    I guess it goes without saying that sensible people can travel just about anywhere in the world without problems. But occasionally, chance or fate or random bad luck steps in. Odd that I've ridden from Europe to Central Asia solo, Lower 48 to Alaska, Vietnam, Morocco, and Mexico. No problem! But last September I had a one-vehicle rollover near Sweetwater, TX that "postponed" my riding for a few months. I'll dang sure be more careful in West Texas!

    Just ride.

    Mike

  11. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    So...from you experienced guys!...Is travel in Mexico safe for a lone rider ?? I have always wanted to see it,particularly during winter. But have been chicken to go. My two best riding buddies are unfortunately now deceased , and we never "got around to it" earlier...
    When you "get over being chicken" , talk to me & we'll ride down there next winter...We're not far apart:OH/KY.
    For those that of you want to read about missing persons go to ANY!!! Wally World in USA!!! & check out the bulletin board. Be forewarned! All those cute kids that are missing -HERE IN USA- will easily break your heart.
    As for "illiterate in their own language" comment above; for a teacher, of all persons to say that, you are conveniently overlooking many natural born amongst us that are likewise not so handy with our own English either. When I retired from education over ten years ago, the regional state university where my wife worked( I went there too) had 19 sections of remedial English offered. This is unfortunately, fairly common in the USA & we are talking about Mexican's lack of language skill in Spanish?
    Some comments here on Mexicans are getting close to over the top IMO. I'm gonna shut up before I say too much...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  12. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    Question would be easier to answer 8ninety8 if I knew specifically where you're riding to, so my answer will be general in nature. Going West to East, I usually bypass San Ysidro/Tijuana to cross at Tecate/Campo, at Nogales I always cross at the Mariposa Commercial Crossing rather than downtown, I avoid Ciudad Juarez/El Paso crossing like the plague-I'll cross either West at Columbus, NM or East at Del Rio or Eagle Pass, Texas; and in conclusion I also avoid Brownsville/Matomoros.

    Once I am 100 kilometers South of the Border I have no more fear or worry than I would riding in USA, Canada or Europe. Having spent six years as a Soldier in the United States Army from 1968-1974 (two years of which were overseas) I am still a tough old Gunnery Sergeant at heart, takes one Hell of a lot to make me sweat!

    Now I once again fully agree with the previous comments of David13, I make it a Cardinal Rule never to ride at night in Mexico and I don't get dead drunk downtown!

    I have not ridden a Motocicleta in Mexico City itself for 40 years now, so I don't have any recent experiences: I'd avoid Mexico City, unless someone has better intel!

    FWIW: Mexico City is a very interesting place! I have a riding friend in Toluca that I spent the day with in the DF. For those reading this that don't know where things are located, look at a map. The DF centro is not a great MC(or a car!) destination. From Toluca it is best done via a bus ride up through the high mountains ending at the train & into town & walk. If an area of interest is too far, cabs are always around. I suppose I should have been scared? There are differences of opinion even among Mexicans about safety there in DF & rest of Mexico-much like here some are afraid of the "boogey man".
    My MIL was worried about our safety in Costa Rica this month.She worries about stuff that I don't understand. If I want crime news there's plenty in my KY newspaper to go around- what I've seen of Houston is not la la land either? I ride around it on purpose having learned "the route" from Houston commuter.
    As I've already been called stupid in this thread(since I do ride in Mexico) I thought I'd share that the DF is a very worthwhile visit.
    Mexico as a whole is a very large place & to ask for a "spot by spot" whats dangerous is illogical, to say the least! If you lack skill in situational awareness, probably best to stay at home period! as travel to ANY country could present danger-I mean that in all seriousness.
    The "comfort of a group" may be great for some but not my personal choice. It's a personal choice you make, not about whats friendly or safe or unsafe. Riding partners are a great way to increase safety but hard to find so it seems. Dates, stop/not to stop, overall direction, where to next/when, cheap or pricey, return dates,you name it all are obviously "group determined"? in a group & the smaller the "group" the less opinions involved-it's that simple.
    Anyone up for a Mexico ride next winter? I don't have all the answers but have 20,000 plus miles there and love riding there in our winter. Also,I gotta get to GT on a bike before I get too old!
    San Miguel is a nice place. If you sit in the park there are so many old gringos there it's almost hard to tell if your in Mexico or FL! Ha!
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  13. #58
    Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    FWIW: Mexico City is a very interesting place! I have a riding friend in Toluca that I spent the day with in the DF. For those reading this that don't know where things are located, look at a map. The DF centro is not a great MC(or a car!) destination. From Toluca it is best done via a bus ride up through the high mountains ending at the train & into town & walk. If an area of interest is too far, cabs are always around. I suppose I should have been scared? There are differences of opinion even among Mexicans about safety there in DF & rest of Mexico-much like here some are afraid of the "boogey man".
    My MIL was worried about our safety in Costa Rica this month.She worries about stuff that I don't understand. If I want crime news there's plenty in my KY newspaper to go around- what I've seen of Houston is not la la land either? I ride around it on purpose having learned "the route" from Houston commuter.
    As I've already been called stupid in this thread(since I do ride in Mexico) I thought I'd share that the DF is a very worthwhile visit.
    Mexico as a whole is a very large place & to ask for a "spot by spot" whats dangerous is illogical, to say the least! If you lack skill in situational awareness, probably best to stay at home period! as travel to ANY country could present danger-I mean that in all seriousness.
    The "comfort of a group" may be great for some but not my personal choice. It's a personal choice you make, not about whats friendly or safe or unsafe. Riding partners are a great way to increase safety but hard to find so it seems. Dates, stop/not to stop, overall direction, where to next/when, cheap or pricey, return dates,you name it all are obviously "group determined"? in a group & the smaller the "group" the less opinions involved-it's that simple.
    Anyone up for a Mexico ride next winter? I don't have all the answers but have 20,000 plus miles there and love riding there in our winter. Also,I gotta get to GT on a bike before I get too old!
    San Miguel is a nice place. If you sit in the park there are so many old gringos there it's almost hard to tell if your in Mexico or FL! Ha!
    Muchas Gracias kantuckid for recent "insider" information about Mexico City, having not ridden in DF Centro for four decades I was hesitant to comment!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

  14. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6

    Manzanillo

    Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    Muchas Gracias kantuckid for recent "insider" information about Mexico City, having not ridden in DF Centro for four decades I was hesitant to comment!
    I'm in Manzanillo right now and the weather and the food are great. I would guess the danger is off the charts though, there were at least 15, 5 year olds playing on the beach during dinner.
    Seriously, I used to live in Mexico and have been coming for over 30 years both on bikes and in a van. The country is both beautiful and friendly. You can get in trouble anywhere.
    Come to Mexico and enjoy one of the best places to travel in the world.
    As far as the D.F. is concerned, I lived there for 2 years and if you know where your going your good but if you get rattled better to take a cab.
    Anyone want a guide to anywhere in Mexico let me know.
    By the way I went up to Morelia a few weeks ago and coming the other way on the Cuota were a dozen BMW's from the DF.

  15. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    663
    from NBC News:

    Mexico has suffered from a wave of drug-related violence, with about 1,000 people a month dying in gangland killings. About 80,000 people have died since 2007 in cartel violence.


    Fox News puts that number at 101,000.

    Yeah, right, it's perfectly safe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •