Thread: Looking for a facemask for sun protection....

Cool Looking for a facemask for sun protection....

After getting a wee bit sunburned/ windburned on my last road trip I am curious to know if there are any lightweight facemasks out there that will help prevent my getting fried in the future. I'm thinking along the lines of an anti-flash balaclava type that the F1 racing drivers wear, but I wear glasses so fit/comfort may be an issue. High SPF sunscreen only lasts so long and doesn't prevent "windburn" - plus it tends to get rinsed off with the frequent afternoon rainstorms.
    A tinted faceshield isn't really an option as I ride with it open most of the time.
    Any suggestions welcome,
    Ian.
    Ian Robert "Scoobs" Scobie

'92 K75RT, '02 F650GS Dakar;
    But fondly miss.. R80RT, R45,CB250RS,DT125MX,TS100

Buff

This might work, it's a multi-function head/neck/face wear that I've used for everything from cold protection for my neck, to dust protection in the blowing windstorms of Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collec...ilter/original

They also have a line that offers UV protection.
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

AeroStitch to the rescue. All that synthetic stuff is well and good but silk is the real deal. Cool when you want to be cool, warm when you want to be warm. And thin so you don't notice it under your helmet. Hand washable so it's easy to keep clean.

Now if you just made one with a skull face on it. Not exactly what you would expect to see when a BMW rider flips up their faceshield

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

+1 on the silk balaclava. I have on an use it a lot. The other option is a simple bandanna. I have several from BMW RA, AMA and that I have picked up in my travels. Work great for shorter day jaunts and commuting.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Just remember to take it off when you go into the bank.
    1983 R100RS
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Gotta ask: why do you not use a face shield? With all the other proposed solutions, you're just going to limit the problem to a smaller area. When I look at the poundage of insects on my face shield after every non-winter ride, I can't imagine riding without one. And at least once a week something big enough that I can hear and feel it hit my face shield. I can imagine a bumblebee or grasshopper in the cheek at 70 MPH is fun.
    Last edited by rockbottom; 08-12-2013 at 01:21 PM.

My silk balaclava came from ebay via UK several years back & really does the trick! Face shield-how about a pair of safety glasses? I keep them in tank bag for hot days & raised helmet shield-bugs land hard, be careful out there!
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Strongly recommend you use the face shield to protect eyes and face. It will cut out UV as well as wind, bugs and stones.
    That which the Fascists hate above all else, is intelligence.
    Miguel de Unamuno

Thumbs up face shield use..

I wear glasses and have a big windscreen on my K75RT so the faceshield is somewhat of a hindrance- too many layers of plastic to look through. I do use it when riding in the rain/sleet/snow and while on my F650GS as the windshield doesn't give any protection. I've tried the "buff' neck sleeve thingy and it's not too bad, the Areostich balaclava only comes in navy blue and I'd have preferred something light coloured to reflect sunlight rather than absorb it..
    Thanks for your concern regarding eye/face protection- I'm pretty much an ATGATT guy.
    Cheers,
    Ian.
    Ian Robert "Scoobs" Scobie

'92 K75RT, '02 F650GS Dakar;
    But fondly miss.. R80RT, R45,CB250RS,DT125MX,TS100

Just remember to take it off when you go into the bank.
    Like.....

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner