Thread: MotorcycleLift Table...Atlas vs. Handy

MotorcycleLift Table...Atlas vs. Handy

I am seriously considering buying a motorcycle lift table and want to buy a good quality table. I have narrowed it down to an Atlas table (Greg Smith Equipment...http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Cycle-Lift or a Handy Standard table (Model 10740...http://www.handyindustries.com/produ...-1000-air-lift) from a local retail outlet that sells and services heavy duty landscaping equipment.

Both tables are rated at 1000 pounds and both are air operated.

The Atlas table (made in China) sells for $749 and includes the front wheel vise.

The Handy table (made in US) sells for ($950 plus $150 for the front wheel vise. (So, about +$350 for the Handy)

Other considerations: Handy table has an optional dolly for moving the table around my somewhat crowded shop (Atlas does not offer this). Handy table is shorter drive to pick up (60 miles vs. 140 miles). I'd expect the resale value on the Handy to be higher. Warranty on Atlas is One year-Parts only...Handy is "limited lifetime". If I needed service, the retailer selling Handy would be my choice.

Any one have any experience with either of these tables? Is the Handy table worth the premium?
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

I couldn't find much about these lifts when searching the forum, but I came across this thread from about 3 years ago. The Handy was mentioned several times:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...otorcycle-lift
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I've got a handy SAM-2 and LOVE it.

My decision a little over a year ago was very similar I think between Titan and Handy. I talked to the guys at nomar who had just switched from selling handy to the new brand and they said that even though they had switched all of them preferred the handy. (Faster to go up/down, etc)

I'm amazed at how much I use mine. FWIW

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Go into the dealerships and see what they have, (I already know the answer). I love my Handy and never worry about the stability or safety of the bench. And BTW, I saved a LOT on it by approaching a local dealer that was expanding, he basically made a ittle over wholesale $$ and as he was buying a few for his shop, had it shipped together with his, saving me freight costs too.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

2 years using a Handy. No issues. Get the tire vice and the side extensions. You'll do more and better maintenance on your bike.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I bought a well used Handy Lift about 10 years ago from a shop that closed, for about $400, including the front wheel vise. It has been flawless. I only wish for the extra side panels.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Extension sides

A number of folks have mentioned the "need" for the 8"-12" side extensions. While I understand why these are necessary for a lawnmower/four wheeler... their use on a motorcycle escapes me. Probably because I've never used a lift table before.

So, please help me understand why I need them on a table to be used only for a bike.

Thanks.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
    A number of folks have mentioned the "need" for the 8"-12" side extensions. While I understand why these are necessary for a lawnmower/four wheeler... their use on a motorcycle escapes me. Probably because I've never used a lift table before.

So, please help me understand why I need them on a table to be used only for a bike.

Thanks.
    In my opinion; easier and safer loading and unloading of the bike; a place to place tools, parts, fluids and light. Some have mentioned that the extensions can interfere with some procedures or make it more difficult to see or reach a spot on the bike. Has not happened to me, but on the Handy lift the extensions can be removed in a few minutes. And, while you may believe it will be used for bikes only, that may not be the case. You'll be amazed how popular you become once you have a lift and/or a tire changer. Imagine a line of riding lawn mowers waiting at your door......
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

If you are working deep on a bike it would be nice to have more room for tools and parts.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    You'll be amazed how popular you become once you have a lift and/or a tire changer. Imagine a line of riding lawn mowers waiting at your door......
    All these years of working to become unpopular down the drain.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT