Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: texting while driving

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...ellphones.html

The estimate that distracted driving now accounts for more deaths than drunk driving is revealing.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Thumbs up Riders as drivers...

I have a feeling that most folks on this forum...and probably in the MOA are among the best 4 wheel drivers on the road!!! Jus' my Oh-pinion...
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

While I'm all in favor of education on the dangers of distracted driving/riding, if the penalties for using a cell phone or texting while in control of a vehicle are severe enough, that deterrent will be even more effective. (Pretty hard to prove that someone was reading, eating a hamburger, grabbing their coffee, looking at their GPS, changing a CD, etc. when they crashed. But cell phones including texting leave time/date trails.)

In British Columbia we may have some of the harshest "drunk driving" laws on the planet. In most jurisdictions the legal BAC is under 0.08. In BC if you blow 0.05 in a roadside check, you will be issued a three day roadside suspension. This means a fine of over $300, the cost of your vehicle being towed, the cost of redeeming it from the place it is towed to, and the cost of a taxi to take you wherever you were driving. So is the law effective? I believe so. With at least the same level of enforcement (spot checks on all drivers,) the number of drunk drivers is down considerably.

If the same three day roadside suspension applied whenever a cop saw you using a hand held cellphone or texting while driving (of course, texting while driving should have the same penalty as driving with a BAC of over 0.08) THAT would get the attention of a lot of people. But I don't see this happening.

I think distracted drivers (like deer) are just something we have to deal with - and there are no real answers to how to always deal with either threat. Stay alert when you are behind the wheel/bars yourself so you are not part of the problem and look for distracted drivers (cell phone, erratic driving) and get out of their way quickly. Unlike deer, bad or impaired drivers usually give you some clues if you are paying attention.

If anyone has better ideas of how to avoid becoming a statistic of distracted driving, we'd all love to hear it. This problem is likely to get worse rather than better.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

A couple of computer geeks on last nights news were demonstrating how that Apple had/is able to track everywhere they had traveled(and more) over a long period of time via cell use. It showed a North American map with red dots from here to yonder & the data was very specific.
    If you really want to scare yourself take a look at the % of people that are "supposed to have" ADHD and what type of pill they are taking as a "supposed solution" to the issue. it sure doesn't end there either. We are out there on the road with people popping billions of pills (that have a marked affect on driving) at an unbelievable rate & they are NOT! all the so called "druggies" that we want to attribute such use too. This not withstanding the regular stay drunk & drive crowd that's still there too. Many are grandpa/grandma or your soccer mom,etc.. Folks it's a zoo out there on the road,beware...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Distractions

Laws and education can probably help with visual distractions like texting, eating, etc. but, what about cognitive distractions. How can we teach people not to take their mind off of driving. How many times have you driven somewhere and for a short period of time had no memory of what area you just drove through. If you have never done that, good for you. But, I've done it and I consider myself a very safe driver. I've had no accidents in a car ever in 50 years of driving and only three traffic violations. But, I have had some near misses that were my fault mostly because I had my mind on something else. How do we fix that?

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Quote Originally Posted by 22600 View Post
    Laws and education can probably help with visual distractions like texting, eating, etc. but, what about cognitive distractions. How can we teach people not to take their mind off of driving. How many times have you driven somewhere and for a short period of time had no memory of what area you just drove through. If you have never done that, good for you. But, I've done it and I consider myself a very safe driver. I've had no accidents in a car ever in 50 years of driving and only three traffic violations. But, I have had some near misses that were my fault mostly because I had my mind on something else. How do we fix that?

DW
    How do we fix that? I suggest that the only person we have any hope of fixing is our self when we are behind the wheel/bars. THAT is the fix which keeps us from doing something dangerous and keeps us alert to others who show signs of doing something dangerous. I try to remind myself that riding/driving is a task which requires all my concentration (mirror checks, following distance, surface checks, animal checks, vehicles turning or not stopping when they should, etc.) You can't zone out on the bike or the car when you have the controls. If you are not looking for/anticipating multiple likely hazards which COULD materialize, you are not riding/driving safely.

Like you, I have done exactly that. On a familiar road I HAVE thought, did I already go through that little town? (I may have been driving safely, but my brain was not fully engaged in the process. Not good.) I once ran a red light when I had a car full of musicians heading to a rehearsal. Clearly the discussion happening at the time took precedence over the act of driving us to that rehearsal safely. Scary, though no accident or ticket which I richly deserved.

Another carpool of musicians, the younger woman driving was somehow juggling a soft drink, a cell phone, and a standard transmission. Scared the s##t out of me, but we made it. Bad driving in both my case and hers - with no alcohol or drug involvement.

Several times a year I am one of the musicians transported to a symphony gig in a regular bus. Despite the lack of seat belts, I am relaxed, partly because I know the driver is well-trained and I'm pretty sure he is sober. Maybe more important, THIS IS HIS JOB. Not a way to get from point A to B while being entertained by the radio, GPS, etc. He is responsible for (and being paid for) getting those folk to their destination safely. Perhaps we should all think of our driving/riding more along this line - especially if the bus driver likes his job.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Battlefield Rider

Around here (I live right outside Ft. Hood, TX) and around many other large Army posts I hear, we also have another issue to deal with: overly aggressive drivers. These young soldiers returning from extremely stressful deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan tend to still drive like they do/did over there. They are also extremely "spun up" or hyper-vigilant, and certainly overly aggressive behind the wheel. I was the same way when I returned from my 3 deployments, only really realizing it on the last one when I was in my mid-30s, and the Army really started to be aware, and make us aware of our mental and emotional state.

Add the regular prescription drugs, illegal drugs, cell phones, entertainment systems, friends, climate controls, brand new (and typically ?ber-expensive) vehicles, copious amounts of booze, mix it all up and driving in the Killeen-Ft. Hood area can be a nightmare. I hear it from people who have lived all around this country, and served in various other countries as well! I have been run off the road on my old '83 Kawasaki KZ550, and t-boned on my '83 R100RT in this town.

Needless to say, it is a battle that I have to be prepared for each time I get on my roadster. It has, I would certainly say, also made me a far more alert rider than I otherwise may have been. I can't control what is happening between the doors or ears of the cars around me, just how I ride when in traffic with them.

We all wish others would be safer and more attentive when operating a motor vehicle, but we know that isn't going to happen. We all know that, and we are careful riders because of it. I wish my fellow American Legion Riders here ("bikers") would be as careful. They are just as bad as the drivers here, with their drinking, playing around with their ladies on the back of the bike, refusing to wear any type of safety gear at all, smoking and drinking coffee, blasting music etc.

EDIT: Apparently, this forum doesn't like umlauts. It typed up as "u" with the umlaut, but when it posts the message it keeps coming out as a "?". Crazy. Doesn't do that on my baseball forum that looks just like this one... Anyway, sorry for the "?ber-expensive" in the post, it really did look like it was supposed to before I hit the post reply button!
    '07 R1200R - She has 174,550 miles and counting, though I only did the last 24k!
    Still lookin' for my dream bike, a beautiful R1200C...

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean, '34 Gas House Gang