Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: texting while driving

texting while driving

I saw this story on NBCNews.com and thought you'd find it interesting.

** Watch Werner Herzog's distracted-driving documentary ? if you can bear it **
    Watch Werner Herzog's distracted-driving documentary ? if you can bear it

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/wa...ear-6C10885578

For more news, visit http://www.NBCNews.com
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

na1g
    Can't bear to watch! The utter stupidity of drivers who text or use any form of cell phone (or floss their teeth, discipline their kids, read, etc.) while driving just makes me crazy. I'm close enough to going over the edge already and don't need a shove.

pete

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    Can't bear to watch! The utter stupidity of drivers who text or use any form of cell phone (or floss their teeth, discipline their kids, read, etc.) while driving just makes me crazy. I'm close enough to going over the edge already and don't need a shove.

pete
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I didn't watch either. We have a major construction project currently happening on our property, and a couple days ago one of the young guys didn't show up. Learned that looking down to pick up his cup of coffee he ran off the road. Totaled the car, a number of bruises on his body, and a ton of paper work and the cost of replacing the car. Now back at work - to earn the money a moments inattention cost him.

This nice young man is, I believe, you and me. We can all be distracted for a few moments for reasons that continue to mount as the electronic distractions in our car or bike mount - not to mention the placement of the coffee mug.

Maybe some of you have suggestions. On the bike, I lack all the stuff which would entertain or support me; (no radio, gps, etc.) In our newer car I seldom need directions and enjoy the satellite radio (jazz and classical have both been great on longer trips) but very important to get them programmed so a thumb switch takes a half second while I am still involved (mostly) in driving.

Doug
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post

pete
    Just to rub it in a bit, I use "flossers" while driving Texting, however, makes me cringe! Are you saying that you never talked to your children in a car? If we go that route it would require a taxi(or both parents on board) to get them to various locations?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Exclamation Distractions...

Interesting thread....as an "old" (65) aviator (42+ years)......distractions at critical times in aviation can be deadly.......no BS in the cockpit until "cruise" (low threat), etc. My dear wife of 31 years long ago realized that while we chatted in the 4 wheelers.....I was NOT going to look at her......it bothered her for a while....but then she realized she married a pilot....we talk to each via ICS/intercom in aircraft....turning the head to talk in a car @ 100 feet per second is dangerous!!!!!

I'm afraid many in our society just can't focus well at ONE task.......keeping the cage in lane, on speed, etc........4 wheelers have become rec-rooms....let's do lots of stuff while motoring...BTW the industry encourages this!!!! Rant over!
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

this is an important topic and we need to keep it active with our group and others........................

pass it on!

jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

It's not just texting as we all know. I drive for car dealers so get to try out a variety of vehicles. The controls for heating, A/C, radio, clock etc are a real problem. There is no way one can adjust any of these things without looking at the console. Even redirecting the air within the car requires looking to find the right button to push since they all feel the same. Then one has to watch the LCD screen until the correct setting displays. Those who wear polarizing sun glasses may not see anything on these LCD panels. All this is very distracting and some operations require multiple inputs, GPS and clock setting for example. Varieties of information about gas consumption and engine conditions that can be displayed are also distracting.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Thumbs up Heater knobs, etc..

Hey Walt.......in aviation this is known as "cockpit fam"......most "big iron" (75,76,77) are very similar cockpits....but it still takes sitting in the office (cockpit) and studying the layout before the first training flights......kinda like picking up a rental auto at an airport......check things out BEFORE you pull out into traffic....in a strange city!!!
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    I'm afraid many in our society just can't focus well at ONE task.......keeping the cage in lane, on speed, etc........4 wheelers have become rec-rooms....let's do lots of stuff while motoring...BTW the industry encourages this!!!! Rant over!
    Well, to me, it's the fact that people just can't let go of being "in touch" 100% of the time. Reading and answering text's, reading and answering e-mails, reading Facebook...all from the convenience of a phone.

While my wife's vehicle is equipped with a Sync that is connected to her phone, I don't have that luxury in my vehicles. No big deal. If I'm driving, I rarely if ever answer the cell phone. It can wait. Text messages? No way, don't even look at them until I'm off the road.

I'm not kidding myself. I'm definitely NOT a good multitasker when driving, and that would include when there's other people in the car with me.

It's the bad behavior from 4-wheeled drivers that just may make me hang up riding motorcycles on the road. I just hope it's my choice and that I'm not forced into it by an incident.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Any distraction is bad.
    I caught myself staring at instrument cluster out riding the other day. Woke up in time.
    Guilty!!!

Per #6 above throw in with the notion that "many in today's society cannot focus on more than one thing" with the absolutely huge number of ADD's out there & you have dangerous drivers that(here comes my all time favorite thing to rant on) have no benefit of having gone through a driver training program. A basically untrained driver can familiarize with the techy controls for a long time but they still are untrained and driving when it's all said and done! Read a car/PU review these days & the stuff that takes attention to control (stuff I don't want or need in a vehicle) is, in large part, what impresses many modern car drivers & makes them less safe too.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Just to rub it in a bit, I use "flossers" while driving Texting, however, makes me cringe! Are you saying that you never talked to your children in a car? If we go that route it would require a taxi(or both parents on board) to get them to various locations?
    We do talk to passengers in our cars. IMHO that is not distracting unless you look at them..I also use headphones when I use the cell instead of one hand on the wheel and trying to tilt my head with the other hand glued to a phone and then to my ear. Rub it in? Yeah..tell us where you are driving..I want to stay away..

I am not looking forward t you saying OOPS!! I never thought..
    If I am pissing people off..so be it. Dont floss your damned teeth in my road..or anyone elses..
    Oh Yeah..Sorry to rub it in
    I hope I saved someones ass

87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by leftturn View Post
    We do talk to passengers in our cars. IMHO that is not distracting unless you look at them..I also use headphones when I use the cell instead of one hand on the wheel and trying to tilt my head with the other hand glued to a phone and then to my ear. Rub it in? Yeah..tell us where you are driving..I want to stay away..

I am not looking forward t you saying OOPS!! I never thought..
    If I am pissing people off..so be it. Dont floss your damned teeth in my road..or anyone elses..
    Oh Yeah..Sorry to rub it in
    I hope I saved someones ass
    It was toothpicks before they invented the flossers. And yes I'm an attentive driver/rider...