Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Zumo 660LM Installation

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Brookfield, WI
    Posts
    9

    Question Zumo 660LM Installation

    Has anyone hardwired the Zumo 660LM onto a R1200RT and know where do-it-yourself instructions can be found? The Garmin installation instructions are mute on the issue.

  2. #2
    Registered User Beemer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, Ill
    Posts
    975

    I hard wired one onto my K1200GT

    Just used the supplied wiring harness and ran it back to the Eastern Beaver fuse Block I bought earlier. Did I misunderstand your question?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15

    665 on RT

    I removed the plastic on the left side of my RT and routed the harness back to my fuse block under the seat. My 665 has the xm receiver which I nested under the rear carrier.

  4. #4
    Registered User cowboyatheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Garden Bay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    381

    08 rt

    Wired mine to a PDM60 under the seat. Along with my clearwater Krista lights, and wool horn.

    PDM60 has clear install instructions
    Cowboy at Heart, info@meet-moringa.com
    All in one Nutrition. Energy. Weight loss. Skin Care.
    www.Meet-Moringa.com For optimum health, energy & beauty.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    356
    Their is a unused power pigtail, wrapped in tape near front fork. This is switched power. You will need the correct bmw plug from your dealer, it has three terminals you will be using one and three only, to correspond with + - on garmin. Recommend soldering connections, and double shrink tubing
    GPS will shut off after a short delay when switching bike off

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Their is a unused power pigtail, wrapped in tape near front fork. This is switched power. You will need the correct bmw plug from your dealer, it has three terminals you will be using one and three only, to correspond with + - on garmin. Recommend soldering connections, and double shrink tubing
    GPS will shut off after a short delay when switching bike off
    A little OT
    The problem with that setup for me (Garmin 550, 2009 r1200r) was it -that pigtail-worked off and on, not reliable, so I went to an accessory fuse box that was relayed switched.

    I am not sure why it was unreliable, but there were other things I wanted to add- motolights, heated stuff, USB, etc.
    So, I wire relayed it-the acc fusebox- to a circuit that stayed on for a little while-it's like 3 minutes- after the engine was cut, because I thought that sounded kind of neat and useful. After riding with that setup for about 12k miles, I decided I do NOT like it that way. I am going to switch the relay to the low beam wire that would make the relay engage only when the low beam is on, ie while the engine is running and go off when the engine is not.

    Having things stay on is problematic. It takes forever for the SD card to be read by my garmin, so I want to keep it on at fillups, but with the 3 minute delay going to battery, as I am filling I have to watch the garmin to catch the screen to say yess to batt power. It would be FAR easier to do that when I turn off the ignition. Re the motolights, I have to remember to turn them off when I turn off the ignition otherwise I am cranking the engine with the motolights on, taking power away from the starter, Same with thermal gear. Those are big draws and usually not a problem unless it's cold or battery is showing its age. And I have to remember to turn them back on.
    In short I think the delayed off of that circuit is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and more trouble than its worth.
    Obviously ymmv, but that's my 2 cents
    John

  7. #7
    Registered User MLS2GO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Village of Loch Lloyd, MO
    Posts
    713

    Antnenna under rear carrier

    Quote Originally Posted by jim@jdc.ca View Post
    I removed the plastic on the left side of my RT and routed the harness back to my fuse block under the seat. My 665 has the xm receiver which I nested under the rear carrier.
    Could you tell me exactly where you placed it? Thanks. I am converting to a 665 and haven't figured where to mount the antenna yet.
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    12 K1600GTL 07 R1200RT

  8. #8
    Cowboyatheart
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Pender Harbour, B.C.
    Posts
    125

    delay on circuit

    Quote Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
    A little OT
    The problem with that setup for me (Garmin 550, 2009 r1200r) was it -that pigtail-worked off and on, not reliable, so I went to an accessory fuse box that was relayed switched.

    I am not sure why it was unreliable, but there were other things I wanted to add- motolights, heated stuff, USB, etc.
    So, I wire relayed it-the acc fusebox- to a circuit that stayed on for a little while-it's like 3 minutes- after the engine was cut, because I thought that sounded kind of neat and useful. After riding with that setup for about 12k miles, I decided I do NOT like it that way. I am going to switch the relay to the low beam wire that would make the relay engage only when the low beam is on, ie while the engine is running and go off when the engine is not.

    Having things stay on is problematic. It takes forever for the SD card to be read by my garmin, so I want to keep it on at fillups, but with the 3 minute delay going to battery, as I am filling I have to watch the garmin to catch the screen to say yess to batt power. It would be FAR easier to do that when I turn off the ignition. Re the motolights, I have to remember to turn them off when I turn off the ignition otherwise I am cranking the engine with the motolights on, taking power away from the starter, Same with thermal gear. Those are big draws and usually not a problem unless it's cold or battery is showing its age. And I have to remember to turn them back on.
    In short I think the delayed off of that circuit is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and more trouble than its worth.
    Obviously ymmv, but that's my 2 cents
    John
    I programmed the one circuit on my PDM60 for my garmin the same way, a 300 sec delay. I am going to put it back to 7 seconds. the 300 is unnecessary. Each time the power is cut off to the mount my garmin asks me if I want to shut off or keep on battery power. Therefore a 7 second delay is all that is necessary on this circuit. So my PDM60 I am going to put all 6 programmable circuits to 7 seconds. The PDM60 is nice that way, great features.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by MLS2GO View Post
    Could you tell me exactly where you placed it? Thanks. I am converting to a 665 and haven't figured where to mount the antenna yet.
    The XM antenna rests on the black plastic on top of the tail light under the luggage rack. The cable feeds in between the plastic (with a little persuasion) and meets up with the matching connector under the driver seat.
    I was concerned that the reception would not be good enough but I have not experienced any issues even with the 49 liter top case.

  10. #10
    Registered User MLS2GO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Village of Loch Lloyd, MO
    Posts
    713

    Thanks for the info

    That is very surprising it works so well. I use the 49 lite case all the time, so it is great to know of this solution. Thanks.
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    12 K1600GTL 07 R1200RT

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Brookfield, WI
    Posts
    9

    Smile

    Thanks for all the feedback! Very useful and spurred discussions amongst many other riders.

  12. #12
    Aloha ka kou
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hi but currently in S Carolina
    Posts
    17

    New NAV IV 06 RT

    Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Their is a unused power pigtail, wrapped in tape near front fork. This is switched power. You will need the correct bmw plug from your dealer, it has three terminals you will be using one and three only, to correspond with + - on garmin. Recommend soldering connections, and double shrink tubing
    GPS will shut off after a short delay when switching bike off
    Upgrading from NAV III to NAV IV. NAV III cradle had only one connector to that fork pigtail. What's the second connector for on the NAV IV cradle?
    Surfajoe
    K1200RS
    R1200RT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •