Thread: Rubber damper rebuild on 96 R1100R driveshaft ?

Question Rubber damper rebuild on 96 R1100R driveshaft ?

Anyone knows where I could get the rubber damper rebuilt on a 96 R1100R drive shaft ?
    My U-joints are fine I believe. I have have some sources for U-joint rebuilds - or full rebuilds on Airheads shafts - but nothing for Oilhead rubber dampers so far.

AFAIK, they cannot be rebuilt...or at least no one has ever found a way to have them rebuilt. There have been a bunch of threads about it, but no joy...

Nickname: Droid
    Machine Services in Depere, WI (just south of Green Bay) does total rebuilds of all Airhead, Oilhead and other BMW driveshafts. In fact, Machine Services does the driveshafts for many of the shops that advertise rebuilt driveshafts. They are a large driveshaft specialty company that make driveshafts for a lot of OEM companies.

Call them at 1-800-677-8711

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    Machine Services in Depere, WI (just south of Green Bay) does total rebuilds of all Airhead, Oilhead and other BMW driveshafts. In fact, Machine Services does the driveshafts for many of the shops that advertise rebuilt driveshafts. They are a large driveshaft specialty company that make driveshafts for a lot of OEM companies.

Call them at 1-800-677-8711
    OK thanks I will try them tomorrow. I also got a response from Guy Hendersen who does airhead shafts, but he says he is is not yet doing oilhead shafts (although he is thinking about it). Will report what I find.
    Otherwise do I need to go new ? or used ?

If they think they can rebuild it but the turn around is long, let me know as I have a spare that I pulled because it was developing a tiny bit of play in the rear joint. It could be a loaner for the price of shipping. Having it rebuilt as a spare is on my someday list and I really haven't looked into it.

No go on rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    If they think they can rebuild it but the turn around is long, let me know as I have a spare that I pulled because it was developing a tiny bit of play in the rear joint. It could be a loaner for the price of shipping. Having it rebuilt as a spare is on my someday list and I really haven't looked into it.
    Unfortunately Machine Services only rebuilds U-joints. So I have not found any way to have the rubber damper rebuilt for an oilhead shaft.
    New shaft is >$800. Used sounds risky unless I find a fairly recent one - Does anyone know the last oil head model/year that had the exact same shaft as a 96 R1100R ?

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jchildress View Post
    Unfortunately Machine Services only rebuilds U-joints. So I have not found any way to have the rubber damper rebuilt for an oilhead shaft.
    New shaft is >$800. Used sounds risky unless I find a fairly recent one - Does anyone know the last oil head model/year that had the exact same shaft as a 96 R1100R ?
    You should be able to glean that info from RealOEM using your serial number to get the exact part number and then use the part finder to check where that part was used. It will list all the bikes.

As for replacement I would probably get a used one from Beemer Boneyard and possibly have it rebuilt with new U joints if needed.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT