Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: gs-911 clone

gs-911 clone

FWIW..... don't know nothin' about it.

did figure the Chinese would come up with something like this before too long.

somebody here should buy one and let the rest of us know what he thinks.

http://www.gasgoo.com/showroom/diagk...s/1467264.html
    Last edited by f14rio; 08-07-2013 at 01:18 AM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post

Hexcode has a good product and is a great company to do business with.
    DO NOT BUY A CHEAP COPY.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Hexcode has a good product and is a great company to do business with.
    DO NOT BUY A CHEAP COPY.
    +1 !!!
    2013 Triumph Trophy
    2007 R1200RT Broken driveshaft @ 54,000 miles. Come on BMW!
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000 Great Bike!
    Iron Butt #24605

Just FYI... Spoke to the GS-911 rep at the rally. They are coming out with a new device that they call the red version. It will intially be designed to handle the waterhead bikes. Over time they will write the software to make the red version handle all the bikes currently addressed by the yellow version. The yellow version will not be updated to handle the waterheads and they will not have a buy-back or credit program for those that want to upgrade their device,
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Just FYI... Spoke to the GS-911 rep at the rally. They are coming out with a new device that they call the red version. It will intially be designed to handle the waterhead bikes. Over time they will write the software to make the red version handle all the bikes currently addressed by the yellow version. The yellow version will not be updated to handle the waterheads and they will not have a buy-back or credit program for those that want to upgrade their device,
    Any mention about supporting Apple iOS?
    2012 R1200RT - Fluid Grey Metallic

The new version will use WiFi. So, it is device independent (Windows, Mac, or phones with WiFi).
    Chris

2009 BMW R1200RT (Shaun), 2004 MINI Cooper S (Gromit), 2006 BMW X3 (Wallace)

when all this new stuff becomes available...

used originals (which are fine for us poor folks) should be selling used for, I would guess about a hundred bucks or less.

I'm so poor that I make jokes about people at their expense.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Did you take a close look at the link???? There is nothing that says it functions like an E911. Not even sure how it connects. It calls itself a trip meter too. If it is a typical Chinese product, it WILL BE a pig in a poke with absolutely NO support. I have an E911 and IMO, you don't use it every day, but when you need it, you want it to work. That alone is worth the extra bucks to me.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

I'm so poor that I make jokes about people at their expense.
    Please pick-up some part-time work so you can buy better jokes........
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

FWIW..... don't know nothin' about it.

did figure the Chinese would come up with something like this before too long.

http://www.gasgoo.com/showroom/diagk...s/1467264.html
    Your idea, buy one and let us know what you think.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun09 View Post
    The new version will use WiFi. So, it is device independent (Windows, Mac, or phones with WiFi).
    Not quite. Wi-fi is a communication protocol; it has nothing to do with the Hexcode software that runs on the user's computer and analyzes and displays the info collected by the bike's systems. The current GS-911 talks to computers via Bluetooth - another communication protocol - but the current GS-911 software (necessary to view the data collected by the GS-911) runs only on Windows machines.

Whether the new version will work with Macs will depend on whether or not the new Hexcode software will run on the Mac OS.
    Last edited by dbrick; 08-07-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Not quite. Wi-fi is a communication protocol; it has nothing to do with the Hexcode software that runs on the user's computer and analyzes and displays the info collected by the bike's systems. The current GS-911 talks to computers via Bluetooth - another communication protocol - but the current GS-911 software (necessary to view the data collected by the GS-911) runs only on Windows machines.

Whether the new version will work with Macs will depend on whether or not the new Hexcode software will run on the Mac OS.
    There is an Android version of the software too, but not the full functionality of the Windows version. Lets you collect real time data on the phone as you head down the road and also to clear error codes. Won't reset service dates though. Works over bluetooth. Because of Apple's restrictions there isn't an IOS version (has to do with app to hardware communication).

So, not totally limited to Windows.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

Thanks, Rusty, you're quite correct. My rose-colored glasses (I'm an iPhone user) didn't discern the Android functionality.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Perhaps Hexcode will use the same approach that a home network router uses. The software is in the router, with an HTML based interface, accessible by any device with a web browser, upgradeable with a firmware update. No need to get Apple's approval of the program.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post

I spoke with Stephan and his guys at Salem. We had a some fairly detailed conversations about their new (unreleased) product and how it functions. They are moving away from the dedicated software/usb-bluetooth approach of the old GS911 and towards a web server/wifi network approach. In short the software is built into the new GS911 (if that is what they call it) and the user accesses it through a web browser over a WiFi network (either by joining an existing network or creating an ad hoc network). This means that anything with WiFi and an appropriate web browser can access and control the new box. They were demoing the concept at Salem using an iPad, the "red box" and a 1200GS. The K1600 and the new R1200GS LC use a completely different software and hardware interface at the diagnostic port so the existing GS911 has probably reached EOL.
    Although I had exchanged emails with them over the course of my ownership of a GS911, Salem was the first time that I had the chance to meet the "faces" behind the emails. After meeting them my conclusion was that their BMW diagnostic software and hardware is truly a labour of love and not a get rich scheme. I plan to support them through product purchases as much as I can. i.e when I have a new R1200LC I will buy their diagnostic tool when it is available.
    2008 HP2 Sport 10,000, 2008 R1200GSA 90,000, 1990 R100GSPD 100,000, 1986 K100RS 152,000