Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LF: Driving Lights and/or HID Headlight for R100 GS

LF: Driving Lights and/or HID Headlight for R100 GS

My R100 GS is back on the road after having spent the last ten years on my R1150GS Adventure.

The one and only thing I miss is better lighting. My GS Adventure also has a TerraNova light bar and a pair of Hella FF50 driving lights.

With a limiting 280W alternator (and I'm not looking to upgrade that component) on the R100 GS, efficient lights will be a factor.

Any ideas and photos of your set-up would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

P Monk

led lights

I am going to upgrade both my /6 and 1200gs with led lights, probably from twisted throttle. The smaller Denali's only pull about 10 amps I believe. I may go with a more powerful one on the GS though just because I can.
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post
    The smaller Denali's only pull about 10 amps I believe.
    Actually, that is a lot. A pair of standard halogen lights draw that current.

I'll have a look at their site to check them out.

I just checked...they draw 10 Watts...that is under 1 Amp. Impressive if the lighting is good.

i'd look to add LED auxiliary lighting. Would not suggest HID primary lights, as the OEM lens is really not designed to direct the beam appropriately.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

+1 on the Denalis. They are designed so you can connect more lights by just sliding more light heads onto each other if you need more output.

I bought a set of the2" Solstice lights from these guys.. http://www.visionxstore.com/Motorcycle%20LED%20Lights. Seem to be a better deal than what TT is offering, as nearly same price with better quality componentry (or so it would seem). they will be going on my F8GS as soon as my buddy finishes my custom mounting brackets.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    I bought a set of the2" Solstice lights from these guys.. http://www.visionxstore.com/Motorcycle%20LED%20Lights. Seem to be a better deal than what TT is offering, as nearly same price with better quality componentry (or so it would seem). they will be going on my F8GS as soon as my buddy finishes my custom mounting brackets.
    Interesting, If you can, perhaps a thread with pictures in F-Twins? I'd like some more visibility on my F8. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Would not suggest HID primary lights, as the OEM lens is really not designed to direct the beam appropriately.
    The lens or the reflector?

I looked up the headlight bulb in the owner's manual: H4, halogen, 60/55W, asymmetric dipped beam.

I always thought an H4 is an H4. So what is the asymmetric dipped beam part of it or is that what all H4 bulbs are?

Checking the web, HID kits are very reasonable and plug 'n play.

As for LED auxilliary lights, they are pricey. LEDs normally last forever. BUT does that apply to LEDs used in vehicle lighting or are they driven to their limits and have a short life? And what about the circuitry in the lights?

...as soon as my buddy finishes my custom mounting brackets.
    That is another issue.

Who makes quality bolt-on brackets that mount on the engine protection bars of the R100 GS?

I could make some nice aluminum mounts on my lathe and mill, but I have too much on the go at the moment.

Thanks for the tips and comments so far.

I picked up some good light mounts from national cycle (ztechnik) for a couple of my airheads. Priced reasonably..
    "Fools that we are, we have gone to war with nature. If we win, we die.". Silver Donald Cameron

P Monk

watts an amp?

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Actually, that is a lot. A pair of standard halogen lights draw that current.

I'll have a look at their site to check them out.

I just checked...they draw 10 Watts...that is under 1 Amp. Impressive if the lighting is good.
    knew I should have double checked that.
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by 81twins View Post
    I picked up some good light mounts from national cycle (ztechnik) for a couple of my airheads. Priced reasonably..
    Are you referring to these handlebar mounts that you might have used as light mounts? I couldn't find anything else on their site.

Edited to add: what did you do about mounting a Driving Light on the right engine protection bar where the oil cooler is attached? Any pics?

or

I think I found them on their Accessory Mounts page...

As we are getting a bit deeper into this, I've been concerned about mounting lights that would add to my visibility near the turn signals. Some of the lights are, or at least seem, bright enough to overpower the turn signal.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

PIAA & Warn both sell nice compact aux. light mountings that are designed for round bars. Less $$$ than Touratech. I may go that route, am undecided.
    I just took delivery from Hong Kong via ebay on a pair of LED lights that are 10w, have top of the line Cree xm led's and are 25deg spot beam lenses. They have a nice black alu housing in bullet shape with a SS "u" bracket & fasteners. I hooked them up temporarily to see if they were functional & with the lights off in my shop they are bright enough for $69.80 total price & to make for a safer MC. Wiki on Cree xm led's is entertaining & says they come from NC. Do you suppose the Chinese order them from us in USA?
    A vendor ( www.mondomotos.com ) on the F650 site is selling @ discounted price (there in vendors section to chaingang folks) there with their name on them for a bit more as a package with wiring,instructions, etc..
    I'm using the PIAA relay (small) & a PIAA switch which is small, has a practical red/green led indicator,pushbutton & mounts with sticky backing nicely to a bike.
    Per above thinking I want my lights mounted below the blinker-what about a mounting that goes around the lower fork tubes? My G650GS lower measures 1.93" Several sell/fabricate a light bar that fits horizontally on the front fender fasteners.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Some of the lights are, or at least seem, bright enough to overpower the turn signal.
    OM
    I have noticed that on motorcycles that I have come across on the road. In fact, the same goes for cars where the owner has increased the wattage of their headlight bulbs.