Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "1997 R1100RT is too slow"

Is the message loud and clear enough? Ride, have fun, don't sweat the details?

My buddy with the wonky speedo shared a couple wobbly pops with me tonight and read the posts. He would post himself but he still hasn't found the "any key" on his computer.

His biggest concern was that we were exceeding the local laws regarding speed and he was as well. It does suck to get a ticket here, just a few miles over starts at $250.00 and goes way up from there. You gotta get caught first but when you are, grab your ankles and smile.

Sure, we can argue "mass-produced over accuracy" or vice verso and talk all we want about how great German engineering is. Ya Volt, Das Beamer is Farhvungroovin.

In some of the posts, see Wineyguyd's post, holy mother of our lord and savior, did it ever get goofy. Not Disney Goofy either. I've even read crap about how much horsepower an engine uses at a given speed and the relationship to fuel economy down to the nano drop. Crazy amount of information presented and some of it pretty neat. Really though? Does it matter?

We ride because it's fun. It isn't a way of life. How you treat your family, friends and neighbors is a way of life. I follow these forums because it's interesting to see the problems and solutions. Some pretty out of the box thinking available for the consumption.

I'm glad the problem with my buddy's speedo isn't a big deal. His odo sucks too by about 3 miles per 100. I think that makes the relative fuel economy by enough to stop the planet from turning.

We had another great boo tonight. Just under 200 miles round trip and it took us about four hours. That means we averaged about, wait for it, going slow and having fun. Couple dead soldiers along the way, an awesome baked chicken dinner with real, fresh vegetables and some bad, really bad jokes shared with strangers.

Let's see some others way in on why it's fun to ride and we overcome the details...............................
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Basically, if your friend's speedo says he's within a few kph over the line, he's fine. If the constabulary in Manitoba wait until "10 over" to write, as is the usual case here in California, then his speedo will make him feel extremely guilty before he will be tagged by Johnny Law.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselyoda View Post
    I'm glad the problem with my buddy's speedo isn't a big deal. His odo sucks too by about 3 miles per 100. I think that makes the relative fuel economy by enough to stop the planet from turning.
    A 3% error in reported distance means that there is a ~1% difference in the front tire's actual diameter (circumference = 3.14... x diameter) vs. the motorcycle design spec. 1% of a 17" tire is just under 3/16ths of an inch. If you look at the tire rack at your motorcycle shop, you will likely see that different brands of tires with the same nominal size vary by more than that. Note also that, as the front tire wears out, its diameter will change. Also, the diameter of the tire will vary according to its inflation pressure, and, to a certain extent, how fast the tire spins, on average (but because your friend stays at or under the speed limit when possible, this may have less of an effect on it).
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Yes, your message is loud and clear. Unfortunately, misplaced.

We ride because it's fun. It isn't a way of life. How you treat your family, friends and neighbors is a way of life ...
    This is actually a forum whose purpose is to help with the details and the 9 or 10 people who responded took you seriously even though your purpose was to provide us with a lesson on life. So along the lines of how you treat neighbors, how about letting those who responded to this thread enjoy the details, even if you're happy avoiding them?

Here's the forum for riding stories: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/forumdis...?68-Just-Ridin.
    Last edited by Roger 04 RT; 08-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.

SNIP... I just wanted to create a discussion about how simple problems on this forum can turn into complicated, mind blowing discussions that can last for weeks.
    I think this was his intent for posting.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

2mikebike gets it...........the advice posted on the nuts and bolts has been great and never, on my part dismissed.

In the interests of keeping this from getting out hand, I have a speedo in hand. I am going to take the advice I have received and see how big a mess I can make this. photo.jpg

I'm a gonna mess this up but good but I think I will learn from it. FYI darrylri, we "have zero tolerance" towards speeding in Manitoba, BC, Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick..............sure, go with it when you are following a speed limited commercial vehicle. It's the law after all and everybody obeys the law.

Now, I hear another brown soldier calling my name at a BBQ. I got the Salmon, they got the brews and somebody has the extras. If you didn't know, fresh Salmon is a rare treat on the prairies and everybody should include wild, Pacific Salmon as part of a heart healthy diet.

Oh, me bad, that should be in the "just ridding" section. Just as well, I need to check to see how much horsepower and fuel I use on my almost antique oilhead.

Stay tuned as I break this fine piece of German instrumentation, made in the same place as Lucas electrics.
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I think we'll all be interested to see what you find out and how your speedo dissection goes. But I also think I speak for a lot of others when I say your slagging of other members work on this forum is not appreciated or warranted. I for one really don't give a crap about how many dead soldiers you quaff while you ride around with your buddies. Your life, your business. Maybe you should keep it that way. I know they have really no fooling speed limits in Manitoba. They have breathalyzers too? Just sayin.

For the record, some of us are _very_ interested to better understand the mysteries of the Motronic, possible improvements to fueling and other engine performance info. The 1100 series are great bikes but do have some downsides like surging and other minor rideability issues that get discussed here at length. If this stuff bugs you maybe the forum is not for you.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Obviously, my intention to make this string light hearted and simple has offended....

These are motorcycles we are talking about? Pretty tough to use them to earn a living and care for a family in my opinion, correction, humble opinion. It's a hobby? Maybe a reason to enjoy being on two wheels? A reason to hang out with like minded?

Look, for those that are offended, I apologize. Sincerely.

Really though, instead of trying to prove we are so smart, aren't we better off admitting that we aren't and allow for open, frank discussion? I know what I know and I also know that at my age, I've got a ways to go before I know it all. It took me over fifty years to realize that, slow learner that I might be. I am willing to bet, any given human being has different knowledge than I do and just because they don't share my knowledge, doesn't make them as dumb as a fence post.

If a digital-analog convertor is so interesting, I'll bet the dealer gets the vehicle you own that is multiplexed.

Now, if I could get a picture that shows clearly on the speedo/odo I took apart, the bell attached to the dial has been rubbing on it's guide because of two possible reasons: the screw was overtightened at the factory or the crimps on the guide plate are loose. Not sure how that makes the speedo go faster?

I also noticed that the plastic gears had no grease on them and are worn out. This speedo head has less than thirty thousand miles on it.

Looks like R100Rturbo and rdhudson have the best answer, pull the needle off and replace it to "closer" than it is.

As soon as I can get clear pictures, I'll post them.

In the mean time, I will try to refrain from offending the minority as after all, they speak for everyone.

Summer in Lakes Region of NH and winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ

Power drill suggestion

Try a power drill with a #2 Square drive to turn the speedo and see what it registers. Be careful to have the drill in the correct direction, found by a slow and judicious trial. Say it gives you an indicated 53. Remove the needle and try the adjustment and then run the drill again, say its now 50. You "corrected" 6 percent. Now you have a way to quickly readjust the needle w/o riding. When you think it's right-on strap the GPS on the tank, bars, whatever and get to the common speed limit and see how you did. This saves a bunch of time.
    Best luck and we'd like to see the pics of the inside of the go gauge!
    2002 F650GS, 1998 R1100R 75th anniversary edition, 1983 R80RT (just sold), 1959 R60 (in restoration), Honda CT90
    If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.

They're made in the same place as Lucas electrics??? Then where are the oil drips???

And speaking independently, I'm extremely difficult to offend, and I enjoy the levity and occasional deviations from the technical.

These are motorcycles we are talking about? Pretty tough to use them to earn a living and care for a family in my opinion, correction, humble opinion. It's a hobby? Maybe a reason to enjoy being on two wheels? A reason to hang out with like minded?

Look, for those that are offended, I apologize. Sincerely.

Really though, instead of trying to prove we are so smart, aren't we better off admitting that we aren't and allow for open, frank discussion? I know what I know and I also know that at my age, I've got a ways to go before I know it all. It took me over fifty years to realize that, slow learner that I might be. I am willing to bet, any given human being has different knowledge than I do and just because they don't share my knowledge, doesn't make them as dumb as a fence post.

If a digital-analog convertor is so interesting, I'll bet the dealer gets the vehicle you own that is multiplexed.

Now, if I could get a picture that shows clearly on the speedo/odo I took apart, the bell attached to the dial has been rubbing on it's guide because of two possible reasons: the screw was overtightened at the factory or the crimps on the guide plate are loose. Not sure how that makes the speedo go faster?

I also noticed that the plastic gears had no grease on them and are worn out. This speedo head has less than thirty thousand miles on it.

Looks like R100Rturbo and rdhudson have the best answer, pull the needle off and replace it to "closer" than it is.

As soon as I can get clear pictures, I'll post them.

In the mean time, I will try to refrain from offending the minority as after all, they speak for everyone.
    My Grandmother used to say "Talk is cheap, it takes money to buy Whiskey" - doesn't really apply here but I find it entertaining and helps diffuse potential forum site stress.
    For what its worth, my method to compare bike speedo with my son beside me in a vehicle - that vehicle speedo accuracy had been confirmed to an acceptable level so I allowed that type of dumb ass procedure to carry forth. Hence the corrective value I chose had a pretty reasonable potential for success. I had taken mine fully apart earlier due to a bouncing needle (classic preamble to cable failure which wasn't bad) and changed out the upper gear set which had ever so slight, almost invisible gear tooth wear. That may have developed by reason of general lack of lubrication (not sure of a recommended maintenance lube schedule for those little internals) but things were quite dry and I added some lubriplate to sweeten things up.
    Lorne

I couldn't get the speedo head to leak oil, only blood. When I was taking it apart and let the smoke out of it, I hear a voice," Blimey mate, let's screw with those square head bastards. They bombed my grams sixty years ago. Let's bugger every odd one, take many a fort-night to figure it out."

Because the beauty ring was rolled on pretty tight, I figured the easiest way to unroll was to use a screwdriver as a can opener. I'm sure there is a better way. I got the re-assembly part already figured out, I'm giving it to someone else.

Inside looked at lot like my '67 Ford pick-up truck head. It didn't bleed so much when I took it apart many years ago. I really noticed the lack of any lube, as has been pointed out, pretty dry.

I also noticed an itsy-bitsy, tiny weight in the bell. I'm was thinking of screwing with that before I took the simple and obvious route.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left Coast Rider
    I couldn't get the speedo head to leak oil, only blood. When I was taking it apart and let the smoke out of it, I hear a voice," Blimey mate, let's screw with those square head bastards. They bombed my grams sixty years ago. Let's bugger every odd one, take many a fort-night to figure it out."
    You're pretty funny - for a guy from Manitoba.

hlgilbert

All bikes use the same speedo?

My R 1150 R has a 17 inch front wheel and the GS can be a 19 or 21, right? The speedo pickup is on the front, so would they not have to have different speedos? Does this bike have the original speedo?

Quote Originally Posted by hlgilbert View Post
    My R 1150 R has a 17 inch front wheel and the GS can be a 19 or 21, right? The speedo pickup is on the front, so would they not have to have different speedos? Does this bike have the original speedo?
    not sure about the internal differences, but the speedo part numbers are completely different between R and GS models.
    airhead speedos were all indexed to specific rear end gear ratios.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots