Thread: '96 K1100LT front brake stuck

'96 K1100LT front brake stuck

Hi there..Only been a member a few days..trouble begins. I put the Johnny blanket on and buckled it up except for the right side lower. No seat on it and it felt nice so low. I took it for a ride and all was well.
    I got back to my garage and put the lower and the seat back on. Backed it out..started up ..checked the brakes and the front brake lever was very tight. I pushed it in and picked the front wheel up off the ground.
    It is very hard to turn. I pulled the cap off of master and pulled level slightly..there is circulation..
    What happened?

You should list your bike's model and year. Sounds like a stuck caliper, or I've heard of the brake lines decaying and trapping pressure in the lines. Unscrew a bleeder and see if that frees up the wheel
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Please read: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46057 - that info will make it hugely easier to attract the attention of someone who can help. Please let us know the year/model and I'll add it to the thread title...

Welcome to the forums!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    You should list your bike's model and year. Sounds like a stuck caliper, or I've heard of the brake lines decaying and trapping pressure in the lines. Unscrew a bleeder and see if that frees up the wheel

after 1/2 hr the wheel will move freely..right now I have no front brakes..abs blinking. It ran great this morning..i put the blanket on and ran it and it was fine..and now..not..bike is a 96 k1100lt

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Please read: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46057 - that info will make it hugely easier to attract the attention of someone who can help. Please let us know the year/model and I'll add it to the thread title...

Welcome to the forums!
    thanks..my bike is a 96 K1100LT

What is the "blanket"? As a WAG - it sounds as if there is either a master cylinder problem or an ABS modulator problem... but that IS a GUESS.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

The blanket is the Johnny blanket. It is a piece of insulation placed under the tank to try to help the enormous heat that the K bikes generate. That is what I was doing when this problem happened. So I either did something by disconnecting the battery or I flattened something out..or a connector somewhere. I rode it for 2 miles after I put the blanket on with no problem. I came back and put the lower fairing on the right side..put my seat back on..backed out of the garage and I couldnt pull the front brake lever in. If I pulled hard it would tighten the front calipers locking the front wheel. Then if I let it sit for an hour the wheel would turn..the pads would retract. I decided to bleed the front brakes but opening the bleeder screw and no fluid comes out either side. Now I can't make the calipers grip at all. It just seems so cincidental for this to happen at the same time I was working on it. I feel that I did something..but what?? Thanks for your replies

Mike

Ordering new brakes. I put it together and took it for a ride. Very little front brakes and the plungers are not retracting well. I am close for new brakes anyway. When they come in I will check the plungers and see what the deal is. These bikes sure are different than anything I have owned to work on. Not bad yet, just a new learning experience. And the red light on dash went out after touching both front and rear brakes..the abs lights blinked until I rolled..so that's good too. While I had the tank off I pulled all the connectors and hit them with contact cleaner. Could'nt hurt..

pulled brakes off and I have 3mm on all pads and wearing evenly. Even with calipers off I squeeze front brake
    and pistons move in very slowly but both sides the same. I dont know enough about these bikes to diagnose these things. Not enough about it in the manual. I am not going to a dealer for service.

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    thanks..It was either a bad line or a deteriorated seal..
    hydlineblock_zps423bed10.jpg

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Yuk, that came out of your brake line? I think I would take the time to remove all lines and 'clean' or replace*, and pull the calipers and disassemble and clean them thoroughly. *at least back to the ABS unit if this was between the ABS and the caliper.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

RS MotoBrick
    greetings ruffer444...

time for some spieglers...

inner-banner-brakes.jpg

j o

It was between the mc and the abs. I flushed it good and replaced with ss line. I saw the same thing happen
    to Chris Harris/....bmw mechanic on Youtube.