Thread: Brake Pads

Brake Pads

Anyone ever use the cheap brake pad sets being sold on ebay? Attached is the link of what I'm thinking of buying. I'm not a brake pad expert, but

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-C...317781&vxp=mtr

Just looking for some feedback.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    First thing to consider is that brakes are a critical safety item. Consider other ways of saving cash but don't scrimp on safety items.
    Other things to consider:
    - It's buyer beware in the wild world of eBay.
    - I would be looking to find out where those brake pads are manufactured. Quality counts for brakes.
    - You can get EBC pads for $10 more and they are a well known alternative to stock.
    - Brake pads are going to be on your bike for 25k miles. Why bother taking the chance?
    - Stock BMW pads last and function extremely well but do cost more.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I don't use no-name parts, period. All a pad is is a metal backer with an applied friction material- alost any moron can make them and many have. I've seen more brake pads fail in track play than any other vehicle part so I will only use what I know to be fact and understand its limits.

Carbon-kevalr, if it is really that and not something else, are a low temp moderate coefficient material. A modest upgrade from an old fashioned organic pad.

Your bike will work better with EBC HH sintered stuff. It and similar are the best performing stuff and easy enough on rotors. Many BMW dealers use and recommend them because they are cheaper than stock replacments, often by a factor of 2.

ditto above replies.

EBC HH or Carbone Lorraine are good replacements and higher performance (more friction, shorter life) than OEM.

The drawback with a more performant set is some increased wear to the rotors.
    This is just not an issue for me since I only run about 2500-5000 miles a year.

By the way the picture shown at the link - the front pads look right but I don't think the rears are square as shown.
    I'm not sure they're correct.

Be careful.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    First thing to consider is that brakes are a critical safety item. Consider other ways of saving cash but don't scrimp on safety items.
    Other things to consider:

- You can get EBC pads for $10 more and they are a well known alternative to stock.
    I think the price for these FleaBay pads is $24.99 for the FULL SET. Such a deal. Especially considering that their high performance is due to their "high tensile strength to weight".

What a crock.

You gotta be kidding me. Brakes last 30+k miles. Cheap pads with risk? Come on!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Nickname: Droid
    In the 172K on my 94 RS I have replaced the brake pads three times. Two sets of SBS and one set of EBC. Pleased with the results of both brands. For brake pads I'll stick to name brands.

Hey, great news. They sell cheap oil filters, too!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350