Thread: I NEED a No=Mar tire changer (rant)

I NEED a No=Mar tire changer (rant)

OK,

So it's time for new tires on the old BMW.
    I call around for prices at the usual places. Get one quote for $450.00 for PR 2's all mounted up. I ask what that breaks down to.
    Don't remember exact tire prices (because of the shock coming) but like 120 for the front and 145 for the rear.
    Mount, $45.00 for the front and $62.00 for the rear. EEK!

I ask them, how can the rear be $62.00 and more than the front? It's a single sided swingarm with four bolts holding the wheel on. I get "Well that's what the book shows"

I hate flat rate books for labor charges. I'm no pro, but I have never seen a flat rate charge that "I" couldn't do better on the time on. Aren't pros supposed to be better.

If I had any room at all I would have my own tire changer. Over $100.00 in labor to change tires is ridiculous.

Thanks for listening. I feel better now

We host the tire changer for our local club. The club purchased one that fits on the hitch of the pick up truck so it can be moved to different locations and it takes up very little space. I have to say it works out well. Members of the club (including ourselves) have saved hundreds of dollars by having it available.

It's definitely worth the money.

Get the No Mar. You've already lost a $100 savings on it. It packs up small, and as pointed out, you can use a hitch mount if needed. I have for holes with lags in my concrete floor. I mount the No Mar when I need it, pack it away when I don't.

With 5 bikes, it has paid for itself more than once.

You also can order tires and have them on deck, then change at your convenience. No need to change earlier or later due to the lack of an open appointment.

Finally, it gives you a chance to do other stuff, like brakes, final drive oil, splines, etc.

It is a sound investment.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

3 of us chipped in on one. So far, 2 have paid for it with tire changes. Savings come from tire price as well as install cost. I paid $450 for a rear PR3 in Denver because I failed to predict my change.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by roborider View Post
    Get the No Mar.

Finally, it gives you a chance to do other stuff, like brakes, final drive oil, splines, etc.

It is a sound investment.
    I do like tire machines, but am at a loss to figure out how one will be helpful to change final drive oil or lubricate splines.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I let my dealer charge $50 per axle to change tires on my BST CF wheels. I wouldn't trust myself, No-Mar or whatever.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by karlfitt View Post
    Over $100.00 in labor to change tires is ridiculous.

You can save quite a bit if you remove the wheels yourself.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    You can save quite a bit if you remove the wheels yourself.
    Still $30.00 each off the bike.

And I'm still trying to find a center stand for this new to me R 1100 S

Holy cow! My local independant accesory/used bike shop, (he is friend, but I always tell him to make money from me, I know how it is to be in small business) just sold me two PR2's for 300.50, front and rear. (20 bucks more than the cheapest internet price I could find, but like I said, I support locals!) I bring him the wheels off the bike and that price includes mount and balance. He does that service for any customer. Price includes mounting and balance IF the wheels are off the bike. It took him a total of 20 minutes to do both wheels. I do HAVE to take my old tires home or he charges 5 bucks each to 'get rid of em'....
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

central wisconsin along the wisconsin river
    my nomar tire changer is the nicest motorcycle accessory I purchased .my friends will attest too!
    81 R100RT

I think I paid around $600 for my No-Mar three years ago. Also bought a Marc Parnel balancing rig. I figure I've changed and balanced 30-35 tires. At $30-$50 per tire that is.... er... ah.... a heap o' money. I also find I am much more apt to swap tires depending on what we are doing. Long dirt ride and the knobbies go on, and then come off when we get done to be used another day
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I do like tire machines, but am at a loss to figure out how one will be helpful to change final drive oil or lubricate splines.
    Hey Paul,

I have a 2005. You have to remove the rear wheel and drop the final drive down to change the oil, and of course to lube the splines. I do that service when I am changing tires since I have the wheel off. And, since I'm doing this work, I do a pretty thorough cleaning. I only clean my bike when I change tires. Never in between (unless it gets winter salt on it).
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    We host the tire changer for our local club. The club purchased one that fits on the hitch of the pick up truck so it can be moved to different locations and it takes up very little space. I have to say it works out well. Members of the club (including ourselves) have saved hundreds of dollars by having it available.

It's definitely worth the money.
    You have a PM

If you're near central IL your welcome to use my nomar. Fwiw