Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Going to Canada questions

Just returned from 8 days in Canada entered at Niagara Falls and drove up to the Gaspe in Quebec, could not use ATMs but i did call my Credit Card Co prior to leaving and had no problems using the CC. Do Not Go over the Rainbow Bridge crossing into Canada waited in the Queue for 2 1/2 hours to cross the boarder

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mohan0 View Post
    Just returned from 8 days in Canada entered at Niagara Falls and drove up to the Gaspe in Quebec, could not use ATMs
    Why? I've never had trouble with ATM's in Quebec other than finding one that took Visa. As to carrying Canadian cash, green money works almost everywhere in QC, NB, ONT, and NS, I've only been turned down once in 6 or 7 years. I carry some Canadian cash anyway, and both MC and Visa.

Your bank likely has a deal with (or owns) a Canadian bank. BoA has a much reduced exchange rate when you use a Scotia Bank fer instance.

What someone else said about US cards not being taken at the pump was true for me around Moncton. I've also had my US cards shut off after crossing the border. A cell phone call was necessary to turn it back on. The next trip, I called the bank first.

Last thing is that hotels, motels, and gas stations can and do put huge holds on your gas and other purchases and may not release them for up to a week. They were better about this the last two years, but I've been really squeezed on many other trips. The bank blames the merchant, the merchant blames the bank -- you know how that goes.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

"Quote"
    "Your bank likely has a deal with (or owns) a Canadian bank."

For the record.... No Canadian Banks are owned by any American Banks!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Cainey View Post
    "Quote"
    "Your bank likely has a deal with (or owns) a Canadian bank."

For the record.... No Canadian Banks are owned by any American Banks!
    Why do people call the US America? America has a north and a south and a whole buncha countries. (sorry. pet peeve)

Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

USA > United States of America

Sorry, I didn't realize it is a sore spot?

Make sure you have good health insurance coverage.

Have a great trip.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by mohan0 View Post
    Do Not Go over the Rainbow Bridge crossing into Canada waited in the Queue for 2 1/2 hours to cross the boarder
    +1 on the above.

Cross at Buffalo at the Peace Bridge. Try to not to cross just before the hour. They change assignments on the hour and it can take up to 10 minutes while traffic sits. Your Easy Pass will work at Fort Erie, saving you some time. I always avoid Lewiston-Queenston and Niagara with my crossings.

If crossing in the Niagara area, take the QEW and then use the toll road, ETR/407. Very, very expensive compared to any toll I've been charged in the US, but it will whisk you around TO fairly quickly. You'll get a very pricy bill in the mail so there is no paying at the time of using it. Do not take the 401 around Toronto. From NY I'd be tempted to cross further north over the St. Lawrence. You will save yourself a lot of aggravation.

While waiting in line, change your GPS settings from miles to kilometres. Once I forgot to do that and it took me a while to clue in why I was passing everyone at the post limit of 50. Lucky I did not get a speeding ticket. (Never be caught riding 50 km over the limit; $10,000 fine and loss of vehicle for a while.) Travel with the flow of traffic, despite the posted speeds.

Use either VISA/Mastercard or bring Canadian money with you. Not all Canadian merchants give you a fair exchange on your dollar.

How will we recognize you at the rally besides your NY plate?
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159

John
    It has been 6 years since I have passed into Canada. When I do go, first thing of business is to exchange currency. True, US green backs are accepted most places. However, I was thanked many times for taking the time to do the exchange myself. When in Rome!
    Same as others have said, tell your bank and credit card company before you leave. They put a hold on my card to protect me the first time I went. A phone call took care of the problem. A phone call to your cell phone carrier before the trip can save you some headaches and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    +1 on the above.

How will we recognize you at the rally besides your NY plate?
    Sorry, I am coming from Connecticut on a red RT and plan on crossing over north of Watertown, NY at Thousand Islands.
    Is there somewhere this side of the border to exchange cash?

Google banks in Watertown NY for a phone # and ask do they have Canadian funds.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Best way to get Canadian $$ is stop at any Canadian bank and use your ATM card.

US banks rape you on the rate. At the 1000 islands there is a duty free store too, and they have fair exchange rates last I knew.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Best way to get Canadian $$ is stop at any Canadian bank and use your ATM card.

US banks rape you on the rate. At the 1000 islands there is a duty free store too, and they have fair exchange rates last I knew.
    Right, I always get a good rate at Canadian Bank ATMs.... Not the ones in convienence stores....
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

So the rally was great. Literally did not know anyone there when I got there but sure knew some when I left.
    That is what the MOA is all about.
    No problems at border, they only wanted passport, where you going where you been....
    I crossed on the way up at Cornwall. A rusty 2 lane bridge which made me wonder what they did with the toll money they collected.
    On the way back I crossed at Thousand Island. What a beautiful place. Someone should have a rally up there.
    Took a wrong turn on the way home and saw more of the Adirondacks then I had anticipated.
    Well worth the trip and thanks for all the constructive advice.

Glad to hear that you had a good time.

We enjoyed the rally, and the weather was perfect............Regards, Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Don't have a bumper sticker on your top case that says "Guns Save Lives"

This is a lttle late, but worth sharing. Five of us crossed and my buddy's son was with us, what the son did not realize was that good old Dad had a large bumper sticker across the width of the K1100's top case he was riding that read "Guns Save Lives!" Guess who was pulled into inspection!
    2013 BMW K1600GT - Montego Blue Metallic (On order!)
    2007 BMW K1200GT - Graphite (in transition)
    2004 R1150RS - Pacific Blue (sold )
    Dennis BMWMOA 150423 FingerLakes BMW Club 396 IBA 50178