Thread: Anyone have experience with Metzler Karoo 3 tires?

Anyone have experience with Metzler Karoo 3 tires?

I have a 2013 R1200GS and the wife has a new 2014 F800GS Adventure and I don't like the stock tires on either. I want a good dual sport tire that is more road oriented but does well off road as well. The Heidenau K60's aren't available yet for my 1200 but I'm not sure I really want a 50/50 tire either? So I ordered a set of Metzler Karoo 3 tires for both of our bikes today and am hoping I made the right choice! Has anyone used these yet and what have your experiences been?

I just had the Karoo 3's mounted but haven't tested them out yet. I will this weekend. They were recommended and given a great review by a few GS Giant friends.

I've got about 6,000 miles running a Karoo 3 front/Heidenau K60 rear. The biggest issue I've had is road noise from the Karoo 3. The tire howls above 60mph and does not seem to get quieter with higher speeds or more mileage. It's enough to be annoying. Can't attest to real off-road prowess (from the tire or me!) but it does fine on gravel. It's held up to on road conditions fairly well. Not noticeably slippery when it's wet (unlike the Heidenau) and seems to stick pretty well on the road cornering. It is wearing quite well for completing almost all of it's 6k journey on roads which were mostly interstate. I have the rear and will mount it if/when the Heidenau ever wears out.
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

I was out yesterday breaking in my new Karoo 3's both on and off road. While, yes, they are louder than the Tourances, I didn't find it to be an annoyance. There was no squirreliness like I felt with the Anakees. They handled the straight roads, twisties, and gravel roads well. My driveway is GS worthy and I had no problems whatsoever. In fact, we did three water crossings yesterday and I didn't experience any slickness at all. I'm really liking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    I was out yesterday breaking in my new Karoo 3's both on and off road. While, yes, they are louder than the Tourances, I didn't find it to be an annoyance. There was no squirreliness like I felt with the Anakees. They handled the straight roads, twisties, and gravel roads well. My driveway is GS worthy and I had no problems whatsoever. In fact, we did three water crossings yesterday and I didn't experience any slickness at all. I'm really liking them.
    How are they holding up mileage wise? I'm hoping they will last longer than the TKC80's.

I switch back and forth between the K60's and the TKC80's.

If they fall in between the two mileage wise I would be satisfied.

Thanks for any further info you choose to share!
    Don
    '12 R1200 GS Adventure, '05 DRZ 400, '08 Royal Enfield Bullet
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

Don, I wish I could tell you! Sadly, I haven't had much riding time this year. Although I'm heading out tomorrow for a week of GS'ing. I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Don, I wish I could tell you! Sadly, I haven't had much riding time this year. Although I'm heading out tomorrow for a week of GS'ing. I'll let you know.
    And Tracy how is the wear on the tire, I'm looking into a new set as well, currently having the K60 good miles no doubt, every tire has the pro and con for that matter, mean reason for a change is the fact that I can not change the rear tire on the side of the road by my self, so brings me to next question, and maybe you know is the wall from the Karoo 3 softer than from the K 60 ?

see you

Michael
    Every turn an opportunity

I'm running the front K3 on my F800GS (still have the Heidi on the rear). They are noisy as others have stated, and not as good as the TKCs in mud and soft dirt (was running these before), about the same on asphalt and gravel. They will also likely not last longer than the TKCs, which means 2500-3000 miles on the rear and maybe 5k on the front.
    It's a good tire but IMO the TKCs are better and typically a little cheaper also.

You won't get a good off-road tire that sticks on the street and wears well. The Heidis are scary in the wet and not even close to the TKCs off road, but they last long.
    "Rumors of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated" - Capt. Picard.

Any further experiences with the Karoo 3s?
    Randy
    CURRENT: 2014 R1200GSW
    PAST BMWs: 2013 R1200RT, 2002 R1150RT, 1982 R100RS, 1993 K1100RS, 1993 K1100LT, 1989 R100RT, 1978 R80

My rear is wearing as expected. I didn't expect much.

At about 2200 miles the center is noticeably worn. I'm hopping I can get 5K out of the tire. Maybe not.

As far as handling goes the tire is fine. It took about 100 miles for me to get used to them (the turn in is quite quick, especially when new) and another 1000 miles to forget all the bad things I read about the tire on the internet. They've been fine on dirt roads, paved roads, wet (paved) roads, and tar snakes. The front does like to follow road imperfections a bit more than some other tires.

For the riding that I usually do I'll probably go back to the Anakee III -- assuming that they ever become available again. The rear Anakee in the wethead size has been unavailable for months. The Anakee is not as good on dirt roads as the Karoo 3, but the tire life makes up for that. If I wasn't so lazy I'd swap tires as needed.
    Last edited by marchyman; 05-09-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    My rear is wearing as expected. I didn't expect much.

At about 2200 miles the center is noticeably worn. I'm hopping I can get 5K out of the tire. Maybe not.

As far as handling goes the tire is fine. It took about 100 miles for me to get used to them (the turn in is quite quick, especially when new) and another 1000 miles to forget all the bad things I read about the tire on the internet. They've been find on dirt roads, paved roads, wet (paved) roads, and tar snakes. The front does like to follow road imperfections a bit more than some other tires.

For the riding that I usually do I'll probably go back to the Anakee III -- assuming that they ever become available again. The rear Anakee in the wethead size has been unavailable for months. The Anakee is not as good on dirt roads as the Karoo 3, but the tire life makes up for that. If I wasn't so lazy I'd swap tires as needed.
    Thanks for the report. From various reports I read it sounds like life on the front is 6k or so with about 4k on the rear. I'm ok with that, but what I don't want to compromise is dry pavement cornering... do they get around corners ok at more serious lean angles? And lastly how is the noise?
    Randy
    CURRENT: 2014 R1200GSW
    PAST BMWs: 2013 R1200RT, 2002 R1150RT, 1982 R100RS, 1993 K1100RS, 1993 K1100LT, 1989 R100RT, 1978 R80

I find noise to be subjective. The pitch of the noise is often more objectionable than the actual noise level. People complain about Anakee noise -- I never noticed any. I sometimes hear noise from the Karoo 3, but it doesn't bother me. The Heidenau K60 noise drove me crazy. So I'd put the noise someplace between Anakee and Heidenau and not objectionable to my ear. YMMV.

I'm a medium fast rider. In any given pack I'm typically slightly ahead, but the really fast guys pass me like I'm standing still. With that description of speed I find the Karoo 3 fine. I've not pushed them enough to lose traction. Again, YMMV.

The tires were scary the first 50-100 miles... a combination of new tire slickness plus the drastically different turn in characteristics compared the tires that had just come off the bike.