Thread: GSW tank bag

GSW tank bag

Looking for a quick detach tank bag (no straps) for a 2014 GSW. Any suggestions or found anything that works well?

Before my 'official' BMW tank bag arrived last summer, I used a Bags-Connection unit that I had on my GT. It has quick-release system that mounts to the gas cap. I got mine at PiratesLair.net. At times I think it was a better solution than the BMW bag. Certainly much easier to get off and on. Especially nice on the long trips with lots of gas stops.

I had an email exchange with Pirate on this - the tank lock for the GSW does not fit well - he does not recommend it at this time.

Some more info here
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ags+connection
    "Rumors of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated" - Capt. Picard.

Talked to Twisted Throttle and they tell me there is a redesigned tank ring available Mid-May. Product Number is 126-01

I've also talked to Twisted Throttle and got the same time range for the new mount. Won't do me any good for the trips I'll be making before that but at least there's one on the way.

I also talked to GIVI and their ring ( BF17 ) is being delayed until at least early June.

*scratches head*

I have been running this Givi quick lock tankbag om my '13 GS-W since last year. Great bag. Very high quality. I have not used the rain cover, but my stuff has stayed dry inside even after heavy rain.

The tank ring required is the BF11. It fits well and holds the tank bag just fine.

Bought it from these guys, for considerably less money than the Bags Connection brand would have cost. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

The '14 tank ring has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by picard View Post
    The '14 tank ring has changed.
    Oh! Thank you for pointing that out; I had no idea. I wonder how they compare to each other. I can go take a pic of my '13 with the BF11 on it and post it here if that helps. I mean, if one coudl use a '13 ring on a '14 after a wee bit of dremeling, maybe that would be handy to know?
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
    *scratches head*

I have been running this Givi quick lock tankbag om my '13 GS-W since last year. Great bag. Very high quality. I have not used the rain cover, but my stuff has stayed dry inside even after heavy rain.

The tank ring required is the BF11. It fits well and holds the tank bag just fine.

Bought it from these guys, for considerably less money than the Bags Connection brand would have cost. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

That's the bag I'll likely get when the tank ring becomes available. Glad to hear you like yours.

Desert John
    I'd like to see pictures of your bag on your bike, with several angles if possible. I have the ring and Bags Connection bags (four different ones) on my GS and really do not like the fit. Also your Givi looks like it'll hold and organize better. Thanks for your help.
    Desert John
    '13 BMW R1200 GS LC
    '14 Harley-Davidson FLHTK ? slightly water cooled, of course
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Factory R

I ended up with the city bag and the new tank ring. The ring appears to fit well but the bag does not go on nearly as easily as on my Monster. The City bag also droops down at the rider end when loaded and touches the tank. The Engage bag I also own does not do this at all. The bottom of the City bag is not nearly as stiff. I can't really recommend this after all.

Quote Originally Posted by picard View Post
    I ended up with the city bag and the new tank ring. The ring appears to fit well but the bag does not go on nearly as easily as on my Monster. The City bag also droops down at the rider end when loaded and touches the tank. The Engage bag I also own does not do this at all. The bottom of the City bag is not nearly as stiff. I can't really recommend this after all.
    I have used the same bag on my 02R1150RT and 05Wee-Strom. I added some spacers to the ring under the bag I think this is the kit http://www.twistedthrottle.com/fit-a...n-curved-tanks made all the difference.

Jay