Thread: Implications of the wrong oil filter installed?

Implications of the wrong oil filter installed?

I bought a 94 R100GS and when I removed the cover for the oil filter, I saw the black rubber ring sitting loosely against the oil filter. When I pulled out the oil filter, it was #11421337570 which I believe is the shorter hinged filter for bikes w/o oil coolers. According to the fiche, it should have been #11421337575. I had rode it about 70 miles this way but have no idea how long the PO had ridden it this way. The bike runs great, I"m just curious what the implications of running with a filter too short? Did this allow the oil to flow through and bypass the filter? Any oil pressure risk (never saw the light on while I was riding it).
    More than I need, fewer than I desire:
    1978 R100SRS
    1992 R100R
    1992 R100RT

No, you are fine, it would have become dirty faster, but otherwise, you are golden.

ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

I think you're fine too but if it bothers you, change the oil and filter now and again in 1000 miles and then forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by desotodino View Post
    I"m just curious what the implications of running with a filter too short? Did this allow the oil to flow through and bypass the filter?
    Yes, the oil would have been bypassing the filter by flowing around it. But before you let that bother you too much, realize that some oil normally bypasses the filter.

Ken, do you actually have an Airhead, and are you familiar with the filters in question? I don't understand your response at all.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org