Thread: Screaming Banshee (Stebel type) horn install advice? 2011 RT

Screaming Banshee (Stebel type) horn install advice? 2011 RT

Has anyone installed a Screaming Banshee (www.screaming-banshee.com)? Or a Stebel Nautilus horn? If so, could you post/message some pics as to where you mounted it?

I've got the horn and compressor separated, I'm just having a heck of a time trying to figure out where/how to mount it. Not much additional space on the RT.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    Daryl
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

D.B.Casey-MSF#133889
    2011 RT

Daryl, I can't be much help but today I just finished installing Denali driving lights and while fishing wires under the tank and forward I noticed there's a lot more room than you'd think inside the right side tupperware. Sit on the ground next to the front tire, and face backward and look up inside the front of the side fairing area. Use a flashlight and you'll see wiring and such. There's also a 3/4" tubular framework you may be able to work off of for a mount. Also directly under the front (rider's) seat there's a vacant space just under the frame where a compressor might fit.

I installed my stebel horn on my RT with no problems at all. I removed the little dinky OEM horn and fashioned a bracket from a small piece of angle iron. Drilled two holes in the bracket and mounted the horn. I wouldn't recommend splitting the stebel apart as that just doubles the difficulty.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    I installed my stebel horn on my RT with no problems at all. I removed the little dinky OEM horn and fashioned a bracket from a small piece of angle iron. Drilled two holes in the bracket and mounted the horn. I wouldn't recommend splitting the stebel apart as that just doubles the difficulty.
    Was it necessary to use a relay, or can the ZFE handle the current draw of the air horn without problems?

Thanks
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

I needed the relay on my R1200S.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    Was it necessary to use a relay, or can the ZFE handle the current draw of the air horn without problems?

Thanks
    I just hooked up the two wires from the OEM horn.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post

Thanks
    Since the stebel horn draws significantly more power than the OEM horn, your install needs to provide more electrical current to the Stebel than the OEM horn uses. Because of this, you'll need heavier gauge wire to carry that current. Bypass the ZFE by connecting directly to the battery or to a properly fused fuse block.

Most people use the OEM horn switch and wiring to trigger a relay which allows power to flow from the battery/fuse block. So, when you are done, the OEM horn switch operates the new horn. I'd suggest buying a pre-made wiring kit that includes the correct wire gauges and has the relay already wired in. As I recall, I've used the wiring kits from Eastern Beaver, but I'm sure there are others.

I've done several Stebel installs and always find the horn mounting process the most difficult part of the install and the electrical work the easiest. For my last one I found (after some serious digging) a very nicely made bracket made specifically for the GS and the Stebel Nautilaus horn.
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    I just hooked up the two wires from the OEM horn.
    I read all the advice about installing the relay; but I figured i would do that when I had more time. It has been 3 years now with no relay and no problems.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

I installed an air horn on an older Honda years ago by just swapping the original for the air horn and every time I blew the horn the fuse blew.
    I don't know what would happen with a CANBUS system if it was too much draw but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I installed an air horn on an older Honda years ago by just swapping the original for the air horn and every time I blew the horn the fuse blew.
    I don't know what would happen with a CANBUS system if it was too much draw but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.
    The horn is on its own circuit. Overload the circuit and the ZFE will shut it down until you turn the ignition off and back on to reset the circuit.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Thank you Larry. That's what my intuition told me, but I really wasn't sure if the horn itself would take a hit.

On my R1200S, the horn w/o relay would work key-on but not running. I then installed the relay (wired to the fusebox that comes from the battery) and all was well.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Norm
    Installed mine yesterday using the TT wire kit. Made it very easy. Didn't look for a local to horn ground point, made up a black wire to use in the loom back to under the seat area.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/plug-...isted-throttle
    2012 BMW R1200RT
    2005 Yamaha XT225