Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Road Rash Article

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Those of you who might have had a skin biopsy have a small inkling of what she feels- your tiny biopsy scar burns ever time it sees a bit of sunlight but its likely in a place where your body doesn't have max sensitivity so you can live with it.
    I just had a biopsy done an hour ago. I probably have another basal cell skin cancer: they'll let me know in a week. I rode the bike up to the dermatologist's office. It's a beautiful day here and why not ride there? So I did. Of the other bikers I saw, I was the only one ATGATT. I also wore my hi-viz vest. More than one rider had on a tee shirt and jeans, and not even any gloves. I stand out as one of a very small minority who wear ATGATT for any trip out of town. Of course, you also have riders in fake helmets, even though DOT-approved helmets are required in New York.

I just don't feel all that lucky. I know how dumb many drivers are...

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Eleven years ago my R90/6 and I took flying lessons courtesy of an SUV that rear ended me while I was stopped at a pedestrian crossing.

It was a 32 degree day and I almost didn't wear the pants to my riding suit as it was so hot in downtown traffic.

The bike, my riding suit, my boots, gloves, and helmet all needed replacement.

Me? Fine except for a lot of bruising, as I fly well, it's the landing I'm not good at.

I shudder to think of what the outcome might have been if I wasn't an ATGATT type of person.............Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I just had a biopsy done an hour ago. I probably have another basal cell skin cancer: they'll let me know in a week. I rode the bike up to the dermatologist's office. It's a beautiful day here and why not ride there? So I did. Of the other bikers I saw, I was the only one ATGATT. I also wore my hi-viz vest. More than one rider had on a tee shirt and jeans, and not even any gloves. I stand out as one of a very small minority who wear ATGATT for any trip out of town. Of course, you also have riders in fake helmets, even though DOT-approved helmets are required in New York.

I just don't feel all that lucky. I know how dumb many drivers are...

Harry
    I too have a biopsy scheduled in a couple weeks and may ride the bike for the hour trip each way. I live on a back road popular with riders of all stripes and figure the ATGATT types are less than 5%. I've had two crashes in my riding career. The first, I levitated off the bike (yes, I know that is unbelievable) but if I had worn shorts instead of full gear, the damage would have been two slightly skinned knees. The second crash totaled my bike, hurt but didn't break my left leg, and proved the value of wearing a good helmet. (Good half hour after the crash before I even wondered if I had hit my head on the pavement. Yes, I did.)

But we need to face the fact that we WILL NEVER convert those folk who ride in T-shirts and shorts that is actually more comfortable to ride with good gear, not to mention safer. I read somewhere that over half of all MC riders NEVER crash. And I wish all those riders with minimal clothing the best. But for myself, I know there are bad drivers, suicidal deer, and I too am less than perfect. The gear usually minimizes the damage.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

ATGATT saved me a ticket awhile back. LEO said, "We're glad to see you've got on a helmet and boots," and gave a warning. Last week on a fifty mile loop out in pristine curves and pasture, spotted by Leo up a farm lane, followed for over a mile, riding very lawfully, first stop, perfect feet down, perfect signaling lights and arm, another unmarked Leo waiting around the corner, maybe the gear saved a ticket again? I too see rider after rider no gear at all. In my state in the month of July, 36 riders have been killed on bikes, and the media is having a field day with the news. Next legislative session the pols certainly will be looking to remedy the crisis.

iscream-stop
    I read her story years ago. I forward it to every one I can an try to just give a little insight to what the road can and will do. If a person has never had a road rash it is really hard to explain the feelings. I laugh when I see the guys pointing and laughing at me putting on all my stuff for a short ride but I have hit the ground and I DON'T LIKE IT!

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    After loosing much skin from one leg and arm after low siding my road racing bicycle in a sandy corner and enduring the lengthy recovery process I can only think this lady's pain and suffering must have been incredibly difficult and applaud her campaign for change as well as her indomitable spirit. ATGATT for me forever no matter what others say or do.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]