Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Road Rash Article

Road Rash Article

Via the F650 Forum I post this link to a woman riders tale of road rash that will chill you out! Read the wiki on that topic @ this website: www.fzronline.com - See the "WIKI" section when you search via google. (perhaps the next person can post/paste a more direct link?)

I assure you, it will cause appreciation for an ATGATT approach to riding!
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I have gone asphalt surfing a couple times and also done some off roading sans bike, and wearing the right gear makes all the difference in the world. But you can't convince people of that, at least not before it happens to them.

BTW, here's the direct link (not for the faint of heart!):
    http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?i...lesson_learned
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Ugh.Reaffirms ATGATT for me.
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

Sad story mainly because she really had no control of what was about to happen to her...

"Approaching mile marker seven on highway 550, I noticed that I had to start fighting the wind to stay behind Shaun without pulling on him too much. I placed my hands on the gas tank and pushed myself into him as much as possible without crowding him. As we came around to the right and went down the hill, we kept accelerating. I was scared, but thought I could handle the force of the wind as it suddenly picked up much more than in the moments before. I started to slide back on the seat and felt the cool air fill the small space between my chest and Shaun's back."

Sure, ATGATT may have helped, but what it really should drive home to every one is 'Don't ride as a pillion with an idiot'....

How fast would a person have to be going to slide almost 2 football fields worth of asphalt?
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Just forwarded to my wife, she thinks tennis shoes, designer jeans, lightweight jacket and open gloves are fine. While i'am dressed like the Michelin man
    Fortunately our riding buddies have convinced her otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    Sad story mainly because she really had no control of what was about to happen to her...

"Approaching mile marker seven on highway 550, I noticed that I had to start fighting the wind to stay behind Shaun without pulling on him too much. I placed my hands on the gas tank and pushed myself into him as much as possible without crowding him. As we came around to the right and went down the hill, we kept accelerating. I was scared, but thought I could handle the force of the wind as it suddenly picked up much more than in the moments before. I started to slide back on the seat and felt the cool air fill the small space between my chest and Shaun's back."

Sure, ATGATT may have helped, but what it really should drive home to every one is 'Don't ride as a pillion with an idiot'....

How fast would a person have to be going to slide almost 2 football fields worth of asphalt?
    I was thinking the same thing. I would say north of 80mph, may be over 100. I am surprised he wasn't cited. When someone get lifted off a bike from the force of air, they are moving along.

If I was her father, I would have taken my 9" Milwaukee grinder to him.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I would say north of 80mph, may be over 100. I am surprised he wasn't cited. When someone get lifted off a bike from the force of air, they are moving along.

If I was her father, I would have taken my 9" Milwaukee grinder to him.
    I'm guessing speeds north of 150mph. Just a guess.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    I'm guessing speeds north of 150mph. Just a guess.
    It's that's true, she's lucky to be alive as I'd think that she;d have broken bones, many of them.
    My Motorrad

It is stated that the speed was estimated at 120mph. Source I don't recall but I think was a leo @ the scene.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    It is stated that the speed was estimated at 120mph. Source I don't recall but I think was a leo @ the scene.
    With a passenger on the back, that's nuts. I'd use a ball peen hammer too.
    My Motorrad

There are darn few people on this planet with whom I'd ride pillion at such speeds and even then it would have to be on a track and not the public roads. As we know, there is no gear guaranteed to keep you alive in an off at that speed if you hit even a slightly resistive object or tumble the wrong way.
    ATGATT sure, but that's not even close to a subsitute for the type of crappy judgement displayed here..

Re her injuries, I have spent part of my career working on drugs designed to prevent life threatening infections that start in such wounds and I can guarantee to you that there is little you can surivive that is as likely to cause pyschological damage as major skin injuries. The pain is intense beyond any type of normal pain experience and while it will subside after grafts, never goes away. She will be reminded of that day as long as she lives without having to look iin a mirror. If she should end up addicted to pain drugs as a result, that will be yet another permanent and possibly life threatening problem traceable to that day- deaths from such drugs now out number vehicle crash deaths by several fold in this country according to FDA and my daughter who used to manage a database tracking this info.

Those of you who might have had a skin biopsy have a small inkling of what she feels- your tiny biopsy scar burns ever time it sees a bit of sunlight but its likely in a place where your body doesn't have max sensitivity so you can live with it. The article is good but if you want to leave someone with an absolutely carved impression of what can happen, take them to a hospital burn ward and see what happens there- that's where major skin injuries get treated. Most people have no idea that humans can survive only a certain amount of skin loss and how badly significant injuries like hers can impact every body system from the simple protein losses that go with it (and BTW, that ability decreases greatly with age). Every patient with major skin loss has their own story that they never forget and all are as sobering as this one.

I find nothing surprising in the article- its a pretty typical of what results from such injuries.
    Exactly as for those who continue to smoke, many think it can never happen to them, until it does. Those who don't want to learn from the experiences of others better hope for good luck- that's all they've got left as protection.

Nice young lady. Met her in Austin in the spring. She was out as part of a Kevin Schwantz track day at Harris Hill race track during the MotoGP race week. Here is her site: http://www.theroadrashqueen.com/

She is pushing a wearing gear all the time now and rides her own bike and fast too.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Sounds like she learned from the experience so good for her and her efforts to teach others so they don't have to lern the hard way.

What a painful tale! Being side swiped last month at 40 mph was enough for me. A young lady who just got her drivers license swerved left into my lane and took me out. I was knocked unconscious and slid into a curb dividing north and south bound traffic. I woke up with EMTs standing over me asking me who the president is. Fortunately, ATGATT was in play and my skin loss was limited to a spot on my wrist the size of a quarter.
    I felt bad for the young lady in that article and can't imagine what she endured afterward. Poor decisions that day led to life changing events for her.

For those of you who haven't had the thrill of sliding down the road...

I landed on my left side as evidenced by the marks on the helmet and damage to my Roadcrafter. Five rib fractures on my left side, soft tissue damage to my left shoulder and hip were the extent of my injuries. No doubt the shoulder and hip pads saved me from worse injuries. My Lee Parks deerskin gloves held up well too. The left glove had abrasions to the palm and back of the hand but no split seams or holes.