Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by jammess View Post
    ...... with all the pain and misery involved just getting there.......
    What you call "pain and misery" many of us call riding.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Here's the info I had...I believe this came from an ON sometime after June 2012 but I'm not sure which one. I think Ted Moyer was the one that reported these numbers. Using the Mississippi River as the dividing line, I count 18126 east and 13011 west. If you included a few more of the states right along the western side of the Mississippi, the difference would grow quite a bit.
    Kurt, thanks for posting that!

By looking at the graphic, and excluding California (first because it is on the left coast, and secondly because it has the largest membership) the midwest should be the most convenient location serving the most members.

>rjzinc-I believe the RA's rally at the Biltmore in June had better attendance than average. I think they had a higher MOA attendance because of the west coast rally location.<

Rjzinc, this was held the same weekend as our local Rally. Many attributed this fact to our lowered attendance. Who knows?
    Unfortunately, many local rallies are going by the wayside due to lack of attendance. We have broken even or gone in the hole for the last 8-10 years and have tried several different formats
    to no avail. Fortunately we have been blessed with a decent bank account with which to keep plugging along regardless of making a profit or not. For the past 8-10 years we have seen 100-130 registrations, this year we were down to 74.

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I think many people are like me that limit themselves to 500-600 miles from home due to family circumstances (medical and otherwise). We feel the need to be within one long day's ride of home. If you choose a location where the most members live within 600 miles of the rally location, it will be in the mid-Atlantic area. Fairness requires that we rotate the location to different parts of the country but the expectation of the number in attendance has to be adjusted.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Rally Attendance

I agree with your observation of 600 miles as an optimal riding distance. That makes for three easy days of 200 mile per day riding. I can do 300 miles/day and still be comfortable. If I compute the 2,400 mile distance to the west coast at 300 miles/day, that requires 8 days to get there.

The last three rallies I attended were Johnson City, TN, Bloomsburg, PA and Sedalia, MO. Of those, If I remember correctly, the Johnson City rally had the highest attendance in recent years.

I don't mind the heat while riding because my bike (R1200R) allows free movement of air. I stay in motels, since camping is out for me, due to a pinched nerve in the neck and a 69 year old body that requires a comfortable bed.

I am campaigning for Lewisburg, WV as the next eastern rally site. This is the WV state fairground site and there are plenty of motels available in the area. The high rollers can even opt to stay at the plush Greenbrier Resort in White Sulfur Springs. The altitude of Lewisburg is such that the temperature is usually in the 80-90 degree range. West Virginia has plenty of excellent two lane roads, with twisty curves, elevation changes and interesting small towns. The state needs the revenue a rally would bring, since coal is not now in favor and most of the state's economy is based on coal mining.

For those of you who have not ridden in WV, check out the roads (US19, 16, 28, 39, 92, 55, 3, 10, 219, 60, 250, 33) that are within reasonable distance from Lewisburg.

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Morning Kevin,
    Actually, having spent much time riding the back roads of the big sky country I should change that OR/ID reference to include Montana. First time I went over the Bear Tooth I thought I had truly died and gone to heaven. Got nailed for day time speeding on the Bozeman pass one time and all it cost me was 5 bucks. But jeez louise who in their right mind could enjoy droning across the middle of this continent with nothing but heat, humidity, and corn fields. Call a spade a spade I say.... All that said I understand the need to vary the rally locations so that all folks have a chance to attend a national. Wonder what the attendance numbers would be if the national was held in the southeast or California?
    Jammess

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    There is beauty everywhere on earth and prairie landscapes with massive skies and solitude can assuage the soul on a long ride. Heck if we worried about Mosquitos we might never ride to Canada or Alaska! I will be heading to St. Paul next year for sure and look forward to some more eastern rallies in future years.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I think many people are like me that limit themselves to 500-600 miles from home due to family circumstances (medical and otherwise). We feel the need to be within one long day's ride of home. If you choose a location where the most members live within 600 miles of the rally location, it will be in the mid-Atlantic area. Fairness requires that we rotate the location to different parts of the country but the expectation of the number in attendance has to be adjusted.
    +1 !

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Morning Kevin,
    Actually, having spent much time riding the back roads of the big sky country I should change that OR/ID reference to include Montana. First time I went over the Bear Tooth I thought I had truly died and gone to heaven. Got nailed for day time speeding on the Bozeman pass one time and all it cost me was 5 bucks. But jeez louise who in their right mind could enjoy droning across the middle of this continent with nothing but heat, humidity, and corn fields. Call a spade a spade I say.... All that said I understand the need to vary the rally locations so that all folks have a chance to attend a national. Wonder what the attendance numbers would be if the national was held in the southeast or California?
    Barley and I just got home from the rally. Left Salem at 6am on Saturday and arrived home in Vermont the following Friday. Could have done it faster but can't push the dog so hard we can't both enjoy the experience. And a funny thing happened while crossing the middle of the continent (both ways). I went into this calling it The Great Flatness and figuring it was a necessary evil to reach the Pacific Northwest. But in the process I found there was a lot to like about the middle! In the high desert I marveled that people used to do this on horseback. The Sandhills were not the mind-numbing sameness I expected, but a land of sculpted sand dunes frozen in place and covered with green.

Coming off the Big Horn into the vast desert beyond we were stopped by - and found ourselves in the middle of - a herd of cattle being moved from one pasture to another, right down the middle of Highway 14Alt in Wyoming. And the image that will stay with me forever was the tiny little cowpoke, all of five years old with brand new chaps and a great big hat, riding up to me after the last cow darted suspiciously around us, tipping his hat in a very grown up gesture, and informing me it was now safe to ride on!

Yes, we crossed 264 miles of corn between Iowa and rural Illinois, but every single town we passed thru had a well-maintained park in which we could rest, eat meals, take a nap, and always find ourselves heartily welcomed by the locals. Not just people drawn to the novelty of a dog in a sidecar, but genuinely interested in our comfort and safety. The experience left me with a completely different notion of what I used to call Fly By States.

Maybe I'm not in my right mind, but after a military career in which I saw a heck of a lot of the world, I now cherish opportunities like this that let me see more of my own nation. It is truly the best of the lot. If not for the MOA rally I most likely would not have made this 8800 mile trip.

Regards,
    Pete (and Barley, who is sound asleep and recovering from all the new friends he met)
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Barley and I just got home from the rally. Left Salem at 6am on Saturday and arrived home in Vermont the following Friday. Could have done it faster but can't push the dog so hard we can't both enjoy the experience. And a funny thing happened while crossing the middle of the continent (both ways). I went into this calling it The Great Flatness and figuring it was a necessary evil to reach the Pacific Northwest. But in the process I found there was a lot to like about the middle! In the high desert I marveled that people used to do this on horseback. The Sandhills were not the mind-numbing sameness I expected, but a land of sculpted sand dunes frozen in place and covered with green.

Coming off the Big Horn into the vast desert beyond we were stopped by - and found ourselves in the middle of - a herd of cattle being moved from one pasture to another, right down the middle of Highway 14Alt in Wyoming. And the image that will stay with me forever was the tiny little cowpoke, all of five years old with brand new chaps and a great big hat, riding up to me after the last cow darted suspiciously around us, tipping his hat in a very grown up gesture, and informing me it was now safe to ride on!

Yes, we crossed 264 miles of corn between Iowa and rural Illinois, but every single town we passed thru had a well-maintained park in which we could rest, eat meals, take a nap, and always find ourselves heartily welcomed by the locals. Not just people drawn to the novelty of a dog in a sidecar, but genuinely interested in our comfort and safety. The experience left me with a completely different notion of what I used to call Fly By States.

Maybe I'm not in my right mind, but after a military career in which I saw a heck of a lot of the world, I now cherish opportunities like this that let me see more of my own nation. It is truly the best of the lot. If not for the MOA rally I most likely would not have made this 8800 mile trip.
    Regards,
    Pete (and Barley, who is sound asleep and recovering from all the new friends he met)
    You're in your right mind. I always felt the same way, then again we could both be out of our minds. I'll leave that for others to judge.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Adding to my previous attendance figures:

2013 - Salem, OR - 5100
    2012 - Sedalia, MO - 5295
    2011 - Bloomsburg, PA - 7330
    2010 - Redmond, OR - 6109
    2009 - Johnson City, TN - 8972
    2008 - Gillette, WY - 5103
    2007 - West Bend, WI - 7684
    2006 - Essex Junction, VT - 9200+

Looks like a definite trend...eastern to midwest rallies tend to have higher attendance. But I guess we figured that out!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Pete, you expressed this very well! Glad you and Barley had a good trip!
    The prairies of this great land do indeed hold much beauty if you allow your eyes to see.
    "Amber waves of Grain" are some very noble words, yet they humble in comparison to actually seeing them.
    Two of my favorite places to camp are in the prairies and the high desert.
    I'm amazed each time at how many stars there are in the sky!

As you mentioned, small town America will give you new hope for our Country.
    Women and children will actually look you in the eye, smile at you and engage in conversation!

The friendliness, thoughtfulness and compassion are mind numbing if you are not used to it.
    It's a completly different world than most are used to living in the large cities....

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Morning Kevin,
    Hi Jammess, To each their own, makes the world go round. Fairly new to Montana, but we are learning that this is a motorcycle Nirvana. Got pulled for doing 90 in a 55 zone in Wyoming. The Sheriff (who looked 90) did not give us a ticket, just kept us there for nearly 2 hours asking questions about our motor-sickles, telling stories about his nephew who races motor-sickles and admonishing us to be safe. If you sped in his county you paid with your time. But then this was nearly 30 years ago.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Adding to my previous attendance figures:

2013 - Salem, OR - 5100
    2012 - Sedalia, MO - 5295
    2011 - Bloomsburg, PA - 7330
    2010 - Redmond, OR - 6109
    2009 - Johnson City, TN - 8972
    2008 - Gillette, WY - 5103
    2007 - West Bend, WI - 7684
    2006 - Essex Junction, VT - 9200+

Looks like a definite trend...eastern to midwest rallies tend to have higher attendance. But I guess we figured that out!

Low attendance is an embarrassment.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Low attendance is an embarrassment.
    What is considered low? I can see what are lower numbers but with the exception of VT, I don't see a huge difference in the numbers, at least nothing that would draw one to a conclude a particular attendance as an embarrassment. Having said that, I've been to 4 of the listed Rally's and the one in Salem did feel smaller but I just figured it was the layout. Btw, my question isn't loaded. I am genuinely interested in what constitutes a reasonable attendance figure for the organization and what would be considered a failure (embarrassment).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3 Red Bricks
    There should really only be two criteria to determine if any rally was a success:

#1. Did the attendees have a good time?

#2. Did the rally not generate excessive red ink?

This rally was a success on both counts.

Numbers of attendees are irrelevant if fun was not had!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare