Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Attendance?

  1. #61
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    10,497
    Look at any of the regions and there are areas close to the border that should would.

    The US Passport Card is less than half the cost of a full pass port. While it does have limitations they are great for MC/Cage touring and as second picture ID.

    http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...card_3926.html
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

    St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

  2. #62
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Eastern riders used to their environment hate the west.
    Too strong a statement. I live in the east and was born here. I have lived in Wyoming, briefly, enjoyed it, and spent time in Alaska and Arizona. The problem eastern riders have with the west is the commitment in time and expense to get to the west. There's also the challenge of dealing with extremely hot, dry weather to get there, and sometimes severe thunderstorms along the way. I doubt you could find many eastern riders who actually "hate the west."

    I have some western rides on my bucket list. Right now I'm working to get in shape to get back into long road trips.

    Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

  3. #63
    TravelsWithBarley.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stowe, Vermont
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Too strong a statement. I live in the east and was born here. I have lived in Wyoming, briefly, enjoyed it, and spent time in Alaska and Arizona. The problem eastern riders have with the west is the commitment in time and expense to get to the west. There's also the challenge of dealing with extremely hot, dry weather to get there, and sometimes severe thunderstorms along the way. I doubt you could find many eastern riders who actually "hate the west."

    Harry
    Agreed. There was no "hate" about it, simply a considerable effort to get the time off, then arrange things at both home and work to make a 3.5 week commitment. Longest vacation of my life, and I wish I had more time. And the funny thing is the "Great Flatness" across which I planned to speed to reach the good parts was some of the most fun! I honestly didn't expect to feel that way about IL, IN, IA, NE, and SD. Even Ohio was decent, and I was prepared to not like it after road aggression experiences on my last three visits to that state.

    It's definitely not a casual ride from the east coast to the west, but there is no hate.

    Pete and Barley
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

  4. #64
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    939
    As someone who attended the rally for the first time (and volunteered at Registration), I had a gas. Met a few of the ne'er-do-wells who frequent this site and bought them a beer or two. Enjoyed a number of seminars, enjoyed the entertainment, enjoyed the vendor area (my credit card says I enjoyed it too much), and had a great time just connecting with other riders. After the rally I pushed off south for a meandering ride through Oregon and California. Saw a bunch of people who had done the same.

    I have an Enhanced Drivers Licence which negates the need to carry my passport if I'm not flying into the US. Not sure if Americans have a similar document available to them but it sure makes life easy.

    I've got to say its the quietest motorcycle rally I've ever attended. And that's not a bad thing. The loudest bikes I heard on site were, you guessed it, a couple of Harleys.

    Will I attend another rally? You bet I will. I'm thinking a 3 day ride to St. Paul ought to be plenty of time to enjoy the scenery.

  5. #65
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,409

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    As someone who attended the rally for the first time (and volunteered at Registration), I had a gas. Met a few of the ne'er-do-wells who frequent this site and bought them a beer or two. Enjoyed a number of seminars, enjoyed the entertainment, enjoyed the vendor area (my credit card says I enjoyed it too much), and had a great time just connecting with other riders. After the rally I pushed off south for a meandering ride through Oregon and California. Saw a bunch of people who had done the same.

    I have an Enhanced Drivers Licence which negates the need to carry my passport if I'm not flying into the US. Not sure if Americans have a similar document available to them but it sure makes life easy.

    I've got to say its the quietest motorcycle rally I've ever attended. And that's not a bad thing. The loudest bikes I heard on site were, you guessed it, a couple of Harleys.

    Will I attend another rally? You bet I will. I'm thinking a 3 day ride to St. Paul ought to be plenty of time to enjoy the scenery.
    Your simple, eloquent explanation of your rally expectations, experience and enthusiasm for our future event is what MOA membership is all about. You had a positive experience, good times, friendly interaction and departed with a sense of belonging.

    Kudos!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

  6. #66
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Your simple, eloquent explanation of your rally expectations, experience and enthusiasm for our future event is what MOA membership is all about.
    Aha! That's what it is! Those of us who have wondered lately, should know now!

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,025
    I would attend more rallies if there were only vendors and a small self serve beer tent....no other motorcyclist...any group larger than three gives me gas. The only exceptions would be college cheerleaders (sorry, female only) and Sofia Vergara, when I'm in the mood for a more mature conversation. Call me narrow minded if you will, but it would work for me.
    '14 R1200RT

  8. #68
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    939
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    I would attend more rallies if there were only vendors and a small self serve beer tent....no other motorcyclist...any group larger than three gives me gas. The only exceptions would be college cheerleaders (sorry, female only) and Sofia Vergara, when I'm in the mood for a more mature conversation. Call me narrow minded if you will, but it would work for me.
    I think you need to be a little more open minded. I'd allow NFL cheerleaders as well.

  9. #69
    Registered User Rod Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    I think you need to be a little more open minded. I'd allow NFL cheerleaders as well.
    Never let it be said that we're not an inclusive group.................Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

  10. #70
    Registered User Rod Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I believe I saw an explanation that it is too much of a hassel for the vendors with the border crossing issues. They won't show. I don't think we'll see another Canadian location for the rally.
    Here I thought I was on the MOA forum, when to my surprise, I've discovered I actually logged onto the shopping network...............Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •