Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendance?

Smile Attendance?

Just curious - what was the official attendance at this year's Rally?
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

I believe they announced at the closing ceremonies that it was 5,100.

Anyone remember how that compares to the previous two years??

Our local rally was way down this year, just wondering if this is a national trend......

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

2012 - Sedalia - 5295
    2011 - Bloomsburg - 7330

I'm not sure this represents a serious trend. It is my understanding that rally attendance from the midwest to the west coast are always lower. A larger portion of the membership lives east of the Mississippi, so there might be a greater tendency for them to attend a rally in the east.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Kurt, thanks for the reply and the insight.

Do you happen to have the percentage of members who live east vs. west? That's interesting....

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Ken -

I might. I think I have some data which was pulled from on ON sometime back...I'll have to check later today.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    2012 - Sedalia - 5295
    2011 - Bloomsburg - 7330

I'm not sure this represents a serious trend. It is my understanding that rally attendance from the midwest to the west coast are always lower. A larger portion of the membership lives east of the Mississippi, so there might be a greater tendency for them to attend a rally in the east.
    It takes a lot of time and money for those on the east coast to get to a rally on the west coast. I talked to a friend last night who was "somewhere" in Wyoming on his way home from the rally. He has gone to almost every rally in the last 30 years and he said he was not going to go to any more on the west coast. It is not a matter of time or money for him. He said he is not going to ride through a lot of hot flat nothing to get to another rally, regardless of how nice the location is. He described this year's rally as a "nice little Rally".
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

John
    Well, I guess if it takes a lot of time and money to go from the east coast to the west coast, it must also take a lot of time and money to go from the west coast to the east coast? Thank goodness they move these shindigs around to make them possible for all members to attend once in a while with out breaking the bank and/or for those that are time and distance challenged! The rotation of Rally's seems to make it fair for all?
    John

No longer a member here
    Look at the geography and related demographics. States with a large motorcycle population are mostly in the midwest - except for California (which has a majority of squids on sportbikes). Ohio, Michigan and Illinois are big motorcycle states.
    And if you divide the U.S. into two parts separated by the vast, flat area that has little but prairie and cornfields, it will be obvious where you end up having a higher attendance for a rally.
    Still, I think lower attendance is a trend, anywhere. Combine this with a falling interest in organized congregations or clubs and you see what's going to happen.

Also, in this particular case, again on the same weekend as the National was AMA Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio, representing a viable alternative for people East of the Mississippi to spend a few days motorcycling.
    The rally die-hards, pin and t-shirt collectors and mileage slaves rode all the way to Oregon from here but you are missing those who help to set an attendance record.

Here's the info I had...I believe this came from an ON sometime after June 2012 but I'm not sure which one. I think Ted Moyer was the one that reported these numbers. Using the Mississippi River as the dividing line, I count 18126 east and 13011 west. If you included a few more of the states right along the western side of the Mississippi, the difference would grow quite a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    Anyone remember how that compares to the previous two years??

Our local rally was way down this year, just wondering if this is a national trend......

Ken
    I went to the 49er rally this year with Brick. It had been many years since I last attended it. I was shocked at how few people there were. The vendors pavilion had four vendors. You could have run a stunt riding show in the empty floor space.

Like I said, it has been years since I attended and I don't think my memory of it being much larger prior is inaccurate. However, I was with the Adventure Riders in the sheep pen last time and dare I say a tad bit of alcohol was consumed making the memory just a touch foggy.

Rally Rat
    I believe the RA's rally at the Biltmore in June had better attendance than average. I think they had a higher MOA attendance because of the west coast rally location. What does the MOA rally pull for attendance when it is at more central location equal distance from east/west coast?

Let there be a rally at Lebanon, Ks. Geo center of continental USA.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    It takes a lot of time and money for those on the east coast to get to a rally on the west coast. I talked to a friend last night who was "somewhere" in Wyoming on his way home from the rally. He has gone to almost every rally in the last 30 years and he said he was not going to go to any more on the west coast. It is not a matter of time or money for him. He said he is not going to ride through a lot of hot flat nothing to get to another rally, regardless of how nice the location is. He described this year's rally as a "nice little Rally".
    I couldn't agree more with the hot flat nothing comment. I live in Eastern Oregon and there is no way in hell that I would attend a rally in Minnesota what with all the pain and misery involved just getting there and then there is the hot humid weather with about a bazillion mosquitos thrown in just for grins. Drove across the US once and never saw so many corn fields. Never do that again. The earth is flat and if you go beyond the OR/ID border you shall surely fall off the other side. I think maybe God said that but I'm not sure. I read with interest about the 2011 and 2012 rallies and was so glad I never attended, just too much pain and suffering.
    Jammess

Quote Originally Posted by jammess View Post
    there is no way in hell that I would attend a rally in Minnesota what with all the pain and misery involved just getting there and then there is the hot humid weather with about a bazillion mosquitos thrown in just for grins.
    From my recent experiences of traveling to St. Paul, mosquitos just aren't around. Residents can chime in. But I believe they've conducted various eradication programs which have basically eliminated this problem. Outside the city and out around the urban lakes, maybe that's different.

We keep up the mosquito myths to keep people out. Love sailing and riding across the prairie can be much the same. In all my travels around the world beauty and adventure can be found anywhere and is bounded only by the limits of your imagination. Sorry your borders end at OR/ID. Enjoy your ride where ever you take it.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune