Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a FIX for Oil Head surging? 95' R1100R

Question Is there a FIX for Oil Head surging? 95' R1100R

I have owned my bike since new.
    I have taken it to 5 dealers.
    I even took it all the way down to Silicon Valley. (I live in the Pacific N.W.)
    Nobody can seem to get the 'SURGING' out of the fuel management system.

Coming off the hi-way(75mph) down to 35mph in 5th gear the engine' hunts', surges.
    Hold it at 35mph and it surges.
    It surges at 35mph. When I open the throttle it goes away.

Is there a fix for the oil head surge?
    A cure?

Well, very soon as I understand it.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...and-O2-Sensors

should show up here eventually: http://sales.nightrider.com/BMW_upgrades.html

Assuming that your bike is in good tune, and in stock condition, you can try richening the mixture. There have been many different approaches to adding fuel, most of which work by disabling part of the function of your Motronic, the fueling computer. I experimented with another approach that works in harmony with the Motronic or BMSK to shift the entire fueling table.

Here is the report of one of our members who tried the beta device for r1100s:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...l=1#post880407

JWMcDonald
    2003 R1150RS (current) / 1978 R80/7 (prior)
    1966 R69S (prior) / 1972 R75/5 (prior)
    Windsor, California

Quote Originally Posted by james1300 View Post
    I have owned my bike since new.....................................Is there a fix for the oil head surge?
    A cure?

Wait, wait, wait, wait an minute.....................You have put up with the surging for what, 18 yrs? Your kill'n me here.

Best of luck to you, you are a patient man.

Any?/ how many?..here have tried one of these? I have read positive & negative about them from various other sources . Just wondered what other 1150R riders think of them ?

Go for the booster plug, a really good and verified valve adjustment, throttle body synch and I believe the iridium spark plugs. If you have gone through all this, have your injectors serviced by Marron fuel injectors, flush your tank or use known good 93 octane fuel. Air filter must be good of course and make sure you have NO vacuum leaks. Best if you do all this since you will KNOW for sure everything is as it should be. I do not trust the work of others unless I am there to see it. Call me cranky but that's the way it is.

Surging?

Here's my experience with surging... First, I have a 96 GS. Never did anything funky until the last couple years, then it developed what I termed a surging problem. Even at a steady highway speed throttle, speed would vary ever so slightly. You could feel an increase, then decrease in speed by a few mph. Every-so-often the engine would hick-up, too (that's my best explanation for it.) Another symptom was the engine would die when I slowed to park the bike. Lastly, when stuck in stop and go traffic, you could forget about keeping your speed at a even crawl.

What it turned out being was dirty, clogged fuel injectors. Went on You Tube to see how it's done and one guy that pulled his, hooked up a 9 volt battery to the injector leads, then sprayed brake fluid cleaner backwards, then forwards into the injector. I did this process for a number of minutes. Reinstalled them and it runs like it used to.

It can be fixed

First, I agree with several other posts that the surge could be the result of a need for maintenance (ie: injectors, etc.).

However, I've had a lot of success with Dobeck Performance products out of Belgrade Montana. They sell their products locally and internationally through other vendors like Wunderlich, etc.

They have several controllers that have been out for a number of years that have worked wonders for my R11's and R115's. Their "Generation 3" is a relatively simple add on that "piggy backs" onto the existing controller. No reprograming of the existing system required. If you don't like what it is doing, it can be adjusted. If you cannot get it to work for you, it can be removed.

I also have a couple of their newest "Gen 4" programmers. Very cool!! Has a on board fuel/air gauge and lets you adjust between idle, cruise and hard acceleration settings using buttons on the bottom of the gauge.

I and several of my friends in Montana are more than satisfied. Together we ride 1) 1998 R1100 GS; 2) 2001 1150 GS; 3) 2002 1150R; and 4) 2005 1200GS (two bikes).

I don't sell 'em...Just use them and am a happy camper. Check them out at http://www.dobeckperformance.com

Let me know if you want more feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Wait, wait, wait, wait an minute.....................You have put up with the surging for what, 18 yrs? Your kill'n me here.

Best of luck to you, you are a patient man.
    Not really. I bought an FJR1300 and shelved the BMW.

I can tell you I've had the bike to 5 dealers and had them 'tune it'.
    It has been maintained by some of 'the best' recommended dealers on the west coast.
    So I disagree with the 'needs maintance'.
    The bike is modified only with a RS muffler. I used it to allow the use of a full size inner saddlebag.
    The 95's have a history of this problem. Always have. BMW knew it as well.
    Yet, as with the 'soft wheels' failed to acknowledge the problem.

Has anyone with a 1995 R1100R found a cure?

Well. What if we called it "abnormal maintenance" ? Mine runs much better after cleaning the throttle bodies.
    Clean is always better than dirty.
    Also use the Bosch 4-electrode plugs.
    Edit: Bosch 4418

I get the impression you don't do your own maintenance?

The bike is modified only with a RS muffler.
    I don't know, but I seriously doubt this would make any difference.

I have not experienced a cure first hand. I have made incremental improvements.
    I think the gizmo to shift the mix richer throughout the "closed loop map" that Roger mentioned is the most harmless fix.
    And one which does not have a big impact on fuel economy, and doesn't cost that much (we think).
    It has been "beta tested" on the 1100 with success, and it is pretty much down to getting the packaging right and setting a price before it goes to market.

Now, if you want to experiment, there's an easy way to disable closed loop altogether.
    Doing so will increase your fuel consumption. Somewhere around 40 mpg I predict.
    Interested?
    Last edited by scott.lambert; 07-25-2013 at 01:30 AM. Reason: plug number

I can tell you I've had the bike to 5 dealers and had them 'tune it'.
    It has been maintained by some of 'the best' recommended dealers on the west coast.
    The bike is modified only with a RS muffler. I used it to allow the use of a full size inner saddlebag.
    The 95's have a history of this problem. Always have. BMW knew it as well.
    Yet, as with the 'soft wheels' failed to acknowledge the problem.

BMW's cure for the r1100 and r1150 is the R1200. They thought the cure would be the dual spark 1150 (2004) but it turned out to be the R1200. The fundamental problems are too lean operation and AFR (air fuel ratio) imbalance left to right.

The R1200 solved both problems. The BMSK ECU is fast enough that it can run closed loop, accurately, most of the time. This means it doesn't get too lean. More importantly they put two oxygen sensors on the bike, one for each cylinder. That means they can perfectly balance the left/right AFR because the BMSK ECU can control the fueling to each cylinder separately.

Since we can't run dual O2 sensors on our R1100s and R1150s, the next best thing is to add 4-8% more fuel. This balances the left/right power by adding just enough fuel to consume all the air in each cylinder during combustion. There are several choices that I mention earlier for doing this.

Check with jammess who owns an R1100RSL and an R1150RT. Or check with Happy Wanderer who has an R1100RT they have each had success.

Quote Originally Posted by scott.lambert View Post
    Well. What if we called it "abnormal maintenance" ? Mine runs much better after cleaning the throttle bodies.
    Clean is always better than dirty.
    Also use the Bosch 4-electrode plugs.
    Edit: Bosch 4418

I get the impression you don't do your own maintenance?

I don't know, but I seriously doubt this would make any difference.

I have not experienced a cure first hand. I have made incremental improvements.
    I think the gizmo to shift the mix richer throughout the "closed loop map" that Roger mentioned is the most harmless fix.
    And one which does not have a big impact on fuel economy, and doesn't cost that much (we think).
    It has been "beta tested" on the 1100 with success, and it is pretty much down to getting the packaging right and setting a price before it goes to market.

Now, if you want to experiment, there's an easy way to disable closed loop altogether.
    Doing so will increase your fuel consumption. Somewhere around 40 mpg I predict.
    Interested?
    Are you talking about removing the 'pink' cat/code plug?

Maintenance

I do my own maintenance, so I have had some experience dealing with the problem. Once a year [usually around 12,000 miles.] , I clean the throttle bodies, adjust the valves, change the plugs and blow out the air cleaner. I am lucky enough to have ethanol free 93 octane available locally and never have the problem when running ethanol free gas. The problem has arisen while traveling when I cannot find ethanol free gasoline. But even then, it is not too bad. Of course, I ride in the higher RPM range. BMWs of any year do not like to be lugged around.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.