Thread: BMW Panniers leaks in the rain... 2012 R 1200 GS Adventure

Question BMW Panniers leaks in the rain... 2012 R 1200 GS Adventure

I went down in the sand!! My right side BMW Aluminum pannier was bent. The latches were also "stressed!" I tired to bend the box square, but it still leaks in the rain. The latches don't seem to pull the box 'tightly' closed. Does anyone have any hints/tricks/suggestions on how to fix it? I'd rather not buy a new pannier, but it does need to be water tight!!!
    Greg
    Last edited by deilenberger; 12-23-2013 at 05:17 AM. Reason: added year/model to thread title

Hi Greg,

Please take a looksee at: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46055 - this info is sorta vital to your thread since different model hex/cam-head bikes use different panniers.

Year/model of your bike?
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by gregcrna View Post
    I went down in the sand!! My right side BMW Aluminum pannier was bent. The latches were also "stressed!" I tired to bend the box square, but it still leaks in the rain. The latches don't seem to pull the box 'tightly' closed. Does anyone have any hints/tricks/suggestions on how to fix it? I'd rather not buy a new pannier, but it does need to be water tight!!!
    Greg
    Welcome to the forum Greg. Water has a tendency to get as small as it need to be so it will take some time to work it back into shape. Perhaps if you post a picture of the damage, someone who has had the same experience can help you out.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Greg
    Obviously you have a GSA, or GSA panniers, since that would be the only bike with aluminum panniers.

Anyhow, they are pretty sensitive to being aligned. Take a piece of ribbon and put it in the pannier and pull. If there is no resistance, you need to work it out until there is. Once you have resistence all the way around you will have no leaks.

Jim

2012 R 1200 GS Adventure

Didn't think I needed a bike and year...sorry. I will post some pictures. The only problem is that the pannier looks OK. The latch could use some work most likely. They were stressed and don't seem to be securing the top tightly.
    The ribbon idea I will try..Thanks everyone, appreciate your time and thoughts...
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by jimvonbaden View Post
    Obviously you have a GSA, or GSA panniers, since that would be the only bike with aluminum panniers.

Anyhow, they are pretty sensitive to being aligned. Take a piece of ribbon and put it in the pannier and pull. If there is no resistance, you need to work it out until there is. Once you have resistence all the way around you will have no leaks.

Jim
    Great idea Jim. I will give it a try...
    Thanks
    Greg

Didn't think I needed a bike and year...sorry. I will post some pictures. The only problem is that the pannier looks OK. The latch could use some work most likely. They were stressed and don't seem to be securing the top tightly.
    The ribbon idea I will try..Thanks everyone, appreciate your time and thoughts...
    Greg
    Not a problem - adding it to the thread title.. One reason to include that info is to hopefully attract knowledgeable eyes to your thread and get an answer.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Pictures of Panniers

I've tried multiple times to get the top to seal in the corner of the pannier. I think the latch may be the problem. It doesn't have any adjustable mechanism to allow for a tight closure.... I've tried to add tape to the roller on the latch but it doesn't seen to draw the lid to a tighter closure!!!. I haven't taken the pannier to an automobile collision repair shop. (My next move!!!). Here are some pictures of the pannier. It really looks fine, except for the closure isn't secure as gauged by ribbon that is easily pull through at the outside front corner!!! :-(

I will attempt to utilize a dry bag or two in this pannier. Maybe even some tape at the corner!!??..

Dealer, just wants to sell another unit!!!

LsidePannier1.jpgLsidedPannier2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jimvonbaden View Post

Jim
    Jim, I've tried banging every which way I can think of and still can't get the seal tight at the corner!! I love your idea with the ribbon! But, I can't get it to seal. I really think the problem is with the latch. It does seem to be a little loose and thus not efficiently closing the lid!!???... I can't see any adjustments I can make to the latch. Just seems poorly constructed to not allow adjustments. Thus the saying... BMW - Bring Money With!
    Greg

Could you add/modify a gasket in the gap? Maybe silicon seal?
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

I low speed dumped my '12 ADV and had a similar issue. The "box" of the pannier was sprung slightly out of square and held the new shape while the lid returned to factory shape. This resulted in a barely visible (~1/16") gap at the front corner - latches would fasten but with difficulty as the tongue & groove seal didn't align. Try taking an accurate 90 deg. square and check if the corners are true. If you track down what is deformed that will start the process of how to straighten it. Aluminum of the box itself bends easily, stainless of the mounting system not so much. In my case it was the stainless mount on the back of the box that was bent very slightly. Easy 5 min. body work I thought - ended up pounding with an 8 lb. sledge against a welding table to finally "adjust" it back into position!
    Talmadge Wright
    '12 R1200 GSA