Thread: Sidecar help in Florida

Sidecar help in Florida

I attended the sidecar seminars at the Rally and it has grabbed my interest. Where can I get help with training and is there a reputable company/person to build a sidecar rig in Florida or Southeast USA?
    RadRider
    2014 S1000R,2014 R1200GS, 2013 Ural Patrol
    MOA #118928
    IBA # 46323

Sidecar info

Look on the internet for a book called Driving a Sidecar outfit (Yellow Book) its about $40.00 and a must have for novice sidecar owners. I had Hannigan build my Sidecar, but there are others out there. You may want to buy a used sidecar and set it up yourself. Yellow book tells you how. Good luck. Kenny...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Evergreen safety council has/had a few training centers in FL, you can google them to find the info. No builders around here, check Hannigan in Kentucky or claude Stanley at Freedom Sidecars in PA.
    also check the Hacks forum on ADVRider for lots of info.
    The "Yellow Book" is an excellent investment.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Thanks for your advice. I will start with the yellowbook and seek out some training.
    RadRider
    2014 S1000R,2014 R1200GS, 2013 Ural Patrol
    MOA #118928
    IBA # 46323

You can find a copy of the yellow book for download (free) on sovietsteeds.com

It's a Ural forum but has lots of good information.

Go to the Newbie Questions and look at the top of the listings for Sidecar Manuals for Newbs.

Just a reminder, your reflexes for a normal motorcycle will try and kill you, you have to drive them

Here is a link to purchase the highly acclaimed "Yellow Book" from David Hough... http://www.whitehorsegear.com/drivin...it-2nd-edition
    I'm a fan of having the real copy in my hand(s) when I undertake a project like the one you are thinking of.
    If you get going on it, perhaps you can document the process for us here on the forum.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Here is a link to purchase the highly acclaimed "Yellow Book" from David Hough... http://www.whitehorsegear.com/drivin...it-2nd-edition
    I'm a fan of having the real copy in my hand(s) when I undertake a project like the one you are thinking of.
    If you get going on it, perhaps you can document the process for us here on the forum.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    YES! Support the Author! Besides Mr. Hough being one of us (MOA) it's the right thing to do!
    Perhaps the "BOOTLEG" link can/should "disappear?
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Not spamming the bike, but there is a K1 Sidehack for sale in the fleamarket that was built by Mr. Hough.
    Pretty good article by him about the build of the hack on the website listed.
    It was auctioned off for charity at one of the Nationals.
    Maybe someone can remember the year?

Kne
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Support an author who has supported the MC and SC communities at large, and BMWMOA in particular--buy the Yellow Book, don't download some bootleg copy. You can also hit the USCA website (United Sidecar Association) and download some of the free manuals by Hal Kendal, USCA founder. Linky is: http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp

Best,

GTRider
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 K100RS (r.i.p.) -- 1995 R1100RSL (gone, never forgotten) -- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT

Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    YES! Support the Author! Besides Mr. Hough being one of us (MOA) it's the right thing to do!
    Perhaps the "BOOTLEG" link can/should "disappear?
    Actually my error. The sovietsteeds site has an older Ural specific manual for download (for the 650 machines, but lots of good exercises), and the links to the Whitehorse press for the Yellow Book. (Cost with shipping is $41.95)

Sidecar help in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by radrider View Post
    I attended the sidecar seminars at the Rally and it has grabbed my interest. Where can I get help with training and is there a reputable company/person to build a sidecar rig in Florida or Southeast USA?
    I'd suggest you check out the United Sidecar Association (USCA) forum. Dedicated completely to sidecars of all kinds with world wide membership. Very helpful folks.