Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: pretty good bike theft prevention idea from a harley forum

The old adage "out of sight, out of mind" seems to apply here.
    anything one can do to reduce the visibility of a bike, or whatever, is going to go a lot farther than just leaving everything in plain sight.
    In the end, a truly dishonest person whose intent is to steal from you, isn't going to be deterred by anything, much less a cover. If "they" want it, they will get it.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Harleys

I agree that Harley has done an excellent job of manufacturing a wide line of clothing and accessories for their brand. When the temperature took an unexpected upward spike on a ride through Delaware two years ago, I found myself without any summer weight gloves. I stopped at a large Harley dealership (on a Sunday, yet) near Dover, DE and found a pair of mesh gloves that fit well, were reasonably priced and seemed like they would flow air well. When I got home, I did some "surgery" to remove the Harley brand from the back of the gloves.

I sometimes visit the local Harley dealer, which also happens to stock Triumphs, a bike that I have loved since boyhood when my best friend's brother purchased a 1961 Bonneville. I once wandered into the Harley section, and a salesman jumped at the opportunity to show me the bikes. I told him that I rode a BMW and was accustomed to the pegs under saddle riding accommodation. He quickly pointed out my error and explained that the Harley, pegs-forward was the only way to ride. I told him that I didn't think I could adjust to that style for two reasons: 1. I use my legs to grip the tank and balance or shift my weight in turning/leaning the bike and the pegs under construction seem to fit that riding style; 2. I have a 28 inch inseam and I did not believe I could extend my legs that far forward to reach the pegs.

He said, "Ridiculous," and had me sit on the bike. To his surprise, he discovered I was correct. I was about two inches short of reaching the forward pegs and I could only reach them if I reclined on the seat. He then tried to recover from this revelation by telling me that the pegs were adjustable, although he was not sure if they could accommodate my short legs. I politely declined any further sales presentation. I am sure he categorized me as a Harley hater, which I am not. They have a huge following and if they are what turns you on, more power to you. They are just not for me.

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

The cover idea is a good one and does work, especially if there are a lot of uncovered bikes around. Story:last night of Americade a couple years back I was staying at the Holiday Inn second floor facing the rear parking lot. Lots of people around and about when I retire about 11:30. Wake up around 02:30 and all is still and quiet except for two guys walking through the various vehicles parked all over. These ner'do'wells were shopping other peoples stuff and obviously paid no attention to the covered bikes. They attempted to open the tour-pak(H-D) on my bike which contained helmets and jackets etc. I asked out loud if they found anything that they liked, must have heard me through the vent system because they disappeared. I called the police, then sat in a chair and guarded our bikes until morning. Cover would have been easier.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Few years ago Annie an I were in Whirehorse at the same time as a regional HOG rally. There were over 100 Harley's in the parking lot along with our two BMWs. As I was walking away from my bike I remembered I had left my keys in the ignition. As I pulled them out a nearby Harley rider said, "Don't worry, ain't nobody going to steal those bikes."
    I've always felt BMW's were basically theftproof.

I always joked about it and said that if I parked my R90/6 with the keys in it, not only would it still be there tomorrow morning, there would be an envelope on the seat with cash donations inside so I could buy a real bike..........The more people there are who don't like BMW's, the safer my bike is.......Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

In the 15 years I've had bmw's and participated on several sites I have heard of 1 BMW being stolen. For all I know the owner might have forgotten where he parked it. In any event, it doesn't seem to be a real problem.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    My two primary riding buddies are part of the Harley cult (no piece of gear that's not Harley, Harley line F-350, Harley coffee mugs, probably a Harley tattoo). What I've seen in them and others like them is an inability to understand that every motorcyclist doesn't lust after a Harley.

I often rent a Harley when visiting home in Myrtle Beach, SC over Christmas. If it comes up that I ride a BMW, the people at the dealership invariably say, "Once you ride one of these, you'll never go back." I've stopped even trying to correct them.
    I visit Harley dealerships when riding with a buddy who rides HD. Not a hardship for me. I like all bikes. When the salespeople try to convert me, I just tell them. "Someday. I'm only 58, and not ready to slow down yet." It's good natured on my part. I've seen their mouth open and close a couple of times because they can't think of how to respond.
    Howard Edwards

2014 Road King; 1975 R75/6

I have forgot and left the key in the bag, or in the seat lock. Bike was still there. I did not think about the cash donation though. Next time leaving a hat on the seat.

Rod

Who knows what people will steal? Years ago I had two Honda CB750s and my wife had a Honda CX500. Wanted to sell one 750 and my wife's bike, so every day I rode them down and parked them next to the road with a "for sale" sign and every evening I rode them up and parked them in an open woodshed. Did sell the CX500 that way - after the guy dropped it in my driveway on his way for a test ride; must have been too embarrassed not to buy it! Then one morning I thought one of the 750's seemed to be at a rather weird angle in the woodshed. Somebody had used a plastic gas can to prop up the front end, removed the front wheel and speedometer cable, and also stole the soft luggage off the bike I was keeping. I was planning to sell the bike for $500. Think it cost me as much for the wheel, tire, and cable as I eventually got for the bike - after a lot of shopping in MC junkyards so it was again rideable. The thief would have done me a favor by stealing the whole bike.

Shortly after that I bought a 8X12 shed with no windows for our bikes, both powered and pedal. Best $1500 I've ever spent. While I put a good padlock on it and made sure that there was no easy way to remove the door, I'm convinced that "out of sight, out of mind" is the main thing that has kept our stuff safe at home - and certainly out of the weather year round. Of course, I also have lawn mowers, a couple small boats, and other stuff which remains un-stolen without any protection at all. So who knows?

I suspect Harley's and sport bikes are more attractive to thieves than BMW's - but I still try to remember to remove the key from the ignition.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

I got one....

One day at work, I left my wallet on the seat of my K1200RS in the parking lot. 9 hours later, I discovered that my wallet was not in my pants, started searching, like last place or times I seen it. Went down to the Beemer.... and there it was, still on the seat where I left it. Not a key left on the bike, but still, money for the taking...... people still either never looked at the bike or figured its empty or a under a police surveillance or something.
    Larry S
    Utah driven
    2003 K1200RS
    1988 K100 LT

Bluenoser
    A no name cover is a plus in my view. As somebody has said " Out of sight out of mind".
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

Timely article from Thunder Roads Magazine Louisiana...

Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Guess they don't steal BMW's.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    Guess they don't steal BMW's.
    Not very often compared to other models.
    The original data shows the top 15 stolen brands from 2011- 5/31/2012

1 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. 11,014
    2 Yamaha Motor Corporation 8,880
    3 American Suzuki Motor Corporation 7,281
    4 Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. 5,009
    5 Harley Davidson, Inc. 3,120
    6 KTM Sportmotorcycle AG 410
    7 KYMCO U.S.A., Inc. 350
    8 Vespa International 323
    9 Bajaj Auto., Ltd. 294
    10 Goldenvale, Inc. - Roketa 286
    11 Ducati Motor Holding 232
    12 Astronautical Bashan 226
    13 Genuine Cycle 197
    14 Zhejiang Shenmao Appliance Co Ltd. 153
    15 E-TON Power Tech Co Ltd. 150

Course that said, I know of a guy in NJ who had his S1000 Stolen this past week.

I don't claim to have all the answers as to "how does a thief think" when it comes to stealing stuff but can assure you that several of the posters here are giving the criminal mind way too much credit! I do know that I've spent lots more time talking to a thief than most people. The typical criminal that steals a MC is not the same guy that recently stole millions in jewels in Paris,France! Many of the kids I worked with were IQ's in the under 100 range and same for many in prison back then-with the many drug related people incarcerated today the IQ's have gone way up but still they are looking for money or a ride when they steal. Crime of opportunity. Park by the "door" in full lights is my vote & save the space the cover takes up. My cover says "Dowco" cause they are great covers & lifetime free replacement & stays home.
    I have worked as a counselor in a prison,taught/counseled juvenile delinquents & been the superintendent of a juvy program & can assure you theft is about what they notice (bling,i.e.chrome) that they can steal quickly & w/o getting caught but often is committed in the haze of drugs & alcohol too. I suspect many of the warm weather thefts from cities above are to gain something to ride that they cannot afford & a fewer amt. for parts conversion. a cover that hides the hides the "shine" IMO will deter theft but as for myself I don't haul a cover around when I travel. As for the Mexico comment, no sane person leaves their MC outside there(unless a guarded lot) no matter the brand, that's the simple reality. Sure "they" notice nice BMW's & other "nice" MC's but it's not a brand fixation like some want to think.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    I think they see Kawasaki and they just keep moving.
    But can you imagine the disappointment if they load it into a truck and then lift the cover off and find a Harley.