Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Neglected R100GS/PD

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Yes, I know all those things.
    So I guess what you meant was "True, but what matters is that they CAN be overcharged and in the process of doing so, they cannot be topped up when necessary."
    Semantics.

Hard to believe with all the newest i-phone and pads that everybody has, they still own and use battery chargers from the 50s.. A modern battery charger goes into a float mode when the battery reaches its "full" state.
    I haven't "overcharged" any of my batteries in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Hard to believe with all the newest i-phone and pads that everybody has, they still own and use battery chargers from the 50s.. A modern battery charger goes into a float mode when the battery reaches its "full" state.
    Actually it should go to "float" mode after being in absorbtion mode for a few hours. Good chargers won't depend on time; instead they will switch over when charge current had decreased to a certain level and in case they don't due to a battery issue, they have a fail safe timer in the algorithm to take it to "float" mode.

And in the end, a charger that switches off and then back on is better than one going into float mode.

I haven't "overcharged" any of my batteries in 10 years.
    How do you know? Do you have a voltmeter connected directly to the battery on your motorcycle? So I take it your batteries last 10...15 years?

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post

How do you know? Do you have a voltmeter connected directly to the battery on your motorcycle? So I take it your batteries last 10...15 years?
    Yes and no! I check the voltage in my batteries with a suitable instrument during and after charging. The batteries I remove from bikes during the 5 months of non-riding season here in Ohio, I keep on a Deltran battery tender.

My batteries do not last 10..15 years. I admire those who get 10 years out of a wet-cell lead-acid battery. I usually replace my batteries after 6-7 years when they show a sign of faster discharge. I hate to get stranded on the road with a battery that just suffered sudden-death-syndrome.
    Last edited by EMSimon; 08-22-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    So I guess what you meant was "True, but what matters is that they CAN be overcharged and in the process of doing so, they cannot be topped up when necessary."
    By "CAN", I mean unintentionally without the user even being aware of the situation.

Yes, I was thinking about the wording but didn't bother to change it.

Battery threads are almost like oil threads. The only difference is, very few if any engine failures are oil related. Short battery life is due to either owner neglect (undercharging - sulphation) or overcharging (gassing) due to an incorrectly matched or defective voltage regulator. Those batteries end up dry after a while.

But nobody cares about batteries. Hell, they're only $150 tops and easily replaced.

I had a choice between a FLA and an AGM for my 911. I purposely chose the FLA and will for my 1999 Honda CR-V if the original battery ever fails.

On another forum, a guy is going on and on ad nauseam about Lithium batteries. Yeah they have incredible energy density, but who the F cares when the old and original tech FLA battery I have starts my GS every single time for 9 years...and as an added bonus I CAN maintain it.

Here you have a field of failed 6T AGM batteries.

Got 5 minutes? This is a video of a Lithium battery that was penetrated. They can go to that mode of failure even if simply struck. Lithium batteries belong in cell phones and digital cameras, etc. and not in aircraft...till they sort out some of the safety issues. There is a reason why you are limited by law to Lithium batteries of 100 W-hr in portable devices on aircraft. I sure hope nobody puts them in their checked luggage.

Video: Break out the marshmallows - Lithium Battery in Action

I check the voltage in my batteries with a suitable instrument during and after charging.
    OK, that is out of the motorcycle in the off season. You also want to check what your motorcycle's charging system is doing while riding and at various temperatures. Its why I installed a voltmeter on my motorcycle and in my car. The best piece of non-bling available.

I hate to get stranded on the road with a battery that just suffered sudden-death-syndrome.
    TIP: forget the battery. You'll likely get stranded due to the French made Valeo starter. That is a joke...based on experience.

I had a choice between FLA and an AGM for my 911...GlobalRider
    And Porsche offers Lithium batteries as an option in some models, for only $2,000.00.
    Last edited by RINTY; 07-31-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    And Porsche offers Lithium batteries as an option in some models, for only $2,000.00.
    Yeah, they are catering to those that need to be able to say they have a Lithium battery in their car.

Those people fall into the group of dummies that always get the latest stuff first so that they can talk about it at work the next day....even if it drives them to the poorhouse.

Nice thread hijack...
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

Quote Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
    Nice thread hijack...
    I am interested in a battery...any comments on lithium or suitable replacement? podsobinski
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe I should keep it simple so some can keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by podsobinski View Post
    I am interested in a battery. . .any comments on lithium or suitable replacement for my Porsche?.

podsobinski seems to have left the room, probably what I should have done.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

Podzo

The mighty GS/PD is alive

Sorry guys, it has been a couple of days since I kept up with the forum. I did order a JMT Gel Battery from Wunderlich. They had an airhead "BMW2Valve" division that had everything I needed. Installed the battery, cleaned up and changed the fluids, drained floatbowls and gas tank and she fired up. The first test was around the neighborhood and the front brake dragged. So. . . new brake fluid and clean up the pads and that problem was solved. Tires ordered, I stuck with Metzler Sahara 3 Enduro's. When they get here I can install them and do a more extended ride. It is a beast and I told my wife it is like a big brother to my DR650. Thanks for all the help and information, especially about the batteries. Wish I could post pictures but have yet to learn that. Thanks again and will keep you informed.

Good to hear that you've got it running. I would suggest, as a first order of service, that you clean and lubricate the clutch splines.
    Rinty

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdalland View Post

Nice thread hijack...
    That's a great sign you've got there. I bet you were aching to use it!

But we've been yammering about batteries right from post number one so no points.

PS: Can I borrow the sign? It really is a good one.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I stuck with Metzler Sahara 3 Enduro's.
    They have been on my airhead GS since I bought it new back in 1991 and based on my experience with Michelin Anakees on my KLR 650, I won't be switching from them. Both the R100 GS and the KLR 650 have the exact same tire sizes. The KLR has less power and torque, and weighs well over 100 pounds less than my GS. Yet the Michelin Anakees that were touted to have a long tread life, did not do so well.

Thanks for all the help and information, especially about the batteries.
    By the way, that Yuasa 53030 that I just installed in my R100 GS, spins the starter over quite quickly. Till then I was always using the BMW Mareg brand getting some 8 full years out of them. I'll see how the Yuasa does.