Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Airhead wheels

Question How many failures?

I have been watching this topic with great interest. But so far no one has given evidence of a failure of a tire on a snowflake which was run tubeless. Where are the actual disasters that theory says will happen?

I have been doing some research and polled a number of long-time riders and wrenchers on another BMW list. There are not failures that anyone can remember. However, what I have heard more than just once is a situation which might not be snowflake related but might be a consideration for a problem with running any wheel tubeless. These situations involve either a rider encounter or in one case a person who was an accident investigation for motorcycles. The instances mentioned involve hitting a huge pothole or some obstruction which bent the snowflake rim, enough so that the tube was exposed or even poking out. Had there not been a tube, the posters indicate that would not be hear to day to write their experiences.

As I said, this is more of a knock on running tubeless, although, maybe the snowflakes might be more prone to this?? I doubt it. On the other hand, there are knocks against running tubes as well, from decompressive leaks/blowouts and the difficulty of roadside repair.

But that's all I could find or have heard about so far. If those people didn't have tube inside their snowflakes, they would have been down on the ground or over the edge of the cliff during their spirited ride.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

"These situations involve either a rider encounter or in one case a person who was an accident investigation for motorcycles. The instances mentioned involve hitting a huge pothole or some obstruction which bent the snowflake rim, enough so that the tube was exposed or even poking out. Had there not been a tube, the posters indicate that would not be hear to day to write their experiences."

The above statement involves two serious errors. First, the overwhelming evidence that going tubeless has a proven track record without even 1 detraction. Second, who is to say that they "wouldn't be here hand it not been for the tube in the tire"? That is pure speculation on their part that is reminiscent of those who like to look back on incidents and imagine themselves as "facing death." Makes their retelling the story more exciting. But even more troubling is the fact that this single so-called evidence against running tubeless wouldn't just affect running tubeless on a tube-type wheel (the main topic of this thread) BUT would also apply to ALL tubeless wheels.

Are we to conclude that the thousands, maybe even millions of motorcycles, that have been "engineered" to run that way are all wrong? We should all go back to tubes?

After carefully following this thread for the past month, and then thinking about the concept myself, and reading up on the experiences of those who have made the changeover to tubeless, and seeing experts out there who say and make it work, I have now pursuaded myself that I should make the changeover on my motorcycle. Tubeless would sure make life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    After carefully following this thread for the past month, and then thinking about the concept myself, and reading up on the experiences of those who have made the changeover to tubeless, and seeing experts out there who say and make it work, I have now pursuaded myself that I should make the changeover on my motorcycle. Tubeless would sure make life easier.
    Jimmy -

That's what is all about. No one is going to convince anyone one way or the other on this. It's another tire, oil, battery thread. You take the info that is provided, do your own research, weight the pros/cons, and make a decision that works for you. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Hopefully, during these "discussions", all considerations, fact or conjecture, are offered so that each owner can move forward on their own.

All my bikes have spokes, so I have no dog in this hunt. But if I did, my decision would be an easy one.

Good luck and see you down the road.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Jimmy -

That's what is all about. No one is going to convince anyone one way or the other on this. It's another tire, oil, battery thread. You take the info that is provided, do your own research, weight the pros/cons, and make a decision that works for you. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Hopefully, during these "discussions", all considerations, fact or conjecture, are offered so that each owner can move forward on their own.

All my bikes have spokes, so I have no dog in this hunt. But if I did, my decision would be an easy one.

Good luck and see you down the road.
    I always appreciate your insights and comments - believe me! Whether I agree or disagree, I know, coming from you they are good comments - just a little whacky!! ---Just kidding - much appreciation.

On this one I think I have been motivated to do the switchover - maybe the next time I need a rear tire! My only concern is this: Is it REALLY worth the time to do all of this.

I will be honest, in my 40+ years of riding - lots of road, and quite a bit of dirt racing, I have NEVER had one, not one, flat tire! Hmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    I always appreciate your insights and comments - believe me! Whether I agree or disagree, I know, coming from you they are good comments - just a little whacky!! ---Just kidding - much appreciation.

On this one I think I have been motivated to do the switchover - maybe the next time I need a rear tire! My only concern is this: Is it REALLY worth the time to do all of this.

I will be honest, in my 40+ years of riding - lots of road, and quite a bit of dirt racing, I have NEVER had one, not one, flat tire! Hmmmm?
    NEVER SAY NEVER
    T. Waits.."Got to get behind the mule.. in the mornin and plow"

R100T'79