Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ALL R1200's (and other BMWs) - NHTSA investigation into fuel leaks progressing..

ALL R1200's (and other BMWs) - NHTSA investigation into fuel leaks progressing..

I subscribe to the NHTSA recall notices for motorcycles. Hadn't seen anything yet on the fuel strips or fuel-pump leaks, so did some digging:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...13006-6112.PDF

It gives a name of an investigator, and states that they've received video of the leak occurring. I rather suspect BMW will be called to task on this (or do a voluntary recall.) Note that there are 80 reports of failures from owners, and 15 from BMW. I rather suspect the 80 reports from owners is what finally got NHTSA's attention. People who haven't reported a fuel strip failure might consider doing so - there are some specific instructions on how to do it (so the NHTSA knows to gather all the complaints into one big complaint) in the Fuel Trip Poll thread.

Just a FWIW - the wheels turn slowly, but correctly applied - they DO turn.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

In the US -
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Welcome to SaferCar.gov, where you can identify and report problems you might be having with your vehicle, tires, equipment or car seats. If you think you have a problem, we want you to tell us about it. We are the Office of Defects Investigation, or ODI. We are a part of the U.S. DOT's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the nation's only agency authorized to conduct defect investigations and administer safety recalls on everything from vehicles and equipment to tires and child safety seats. Our engineers and investigators look into problems you report to help ensure you and others stay safe on our nation's roads and highways

File a complaint using their online form at : https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Or request a pdf form at : https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/portable/index.cfm

Tansport Canada - https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur....aspx?lang=eng
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

I am one of the complaints. My fuel pump had to be replaced, it leaked all over my legs in mesh textile pants. and wound up in my boots. It took a lot of washing and cleaning to eradicate the smell. What a PIA!
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

BMW has tacitly recognized the problem because later fuel pumps have the inlet metal reinforced.

This should mean that the design exists and ramping up production a little to cover the needed replacements should be fairly easy.

However, noting that Jeep is "fixing" a fuel tank vulnerability by fitting trailer hitches, BMW could specify simply fitting the beemer boneyard metal reinforcer to existing pumps.

It's really too bad we never know whether this is an "issue" in Europe and what is being done about it there.

Will be interesting.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

So, good to hear. I've got a 2006 RT and it too has the plastic fittings on the pump. I was going to replace them with the metal ones from BeemerBoneyard but am afraid of cracking the housing on the pump when tightening the new metal fittings.

Will my old 2006 model be included in any recall / campaign from BMW?
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

I had the Beemer Boneyard clamp installed as part of the spring service.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    So, good to hear. I've got a 2006 RT and it too has the plastic fittings on the pump. I was going to replace them with the metal ones from BeemerBoneyard but am afraid of cracking the housing on the pump when tightening the new metal fittings.

Will my old 2006 model be included in any recall / campaign from BMW?
    I doubt if anyone can answer that here.. NHTSA would be the ones determining this.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    BMW has tacitly recognized the problem because later fuel pumps have the inlet metal reinforced.

This should mean that the design exists and ramping up production a little to cover the needed replacements should be fairly easy.

However, noting that Jeep is "fixing" a fuel tank vulnerability by fitting trailer hitches, BMW could specify simply fitting the beemer boneyard metal reinforcer to existing pumps.

It's really too bad we never know whether this is an "issue" in Europe and what is being done about it there.

Will be interesting.
    I'm betting BMW's solution will be some sort of clamp on ring, with a special tool to install it (probably an Oetker type design) allowing the dealer 30 minutes labor time to do the job (regardless of bike model..)

And I'm sure based on BMW's usual reactions to these sort of things:

1. What problem?
    2. Oh, that problem. First we've heard of it.
    3. You caused it
    4. Your environment caused it (fuel properties usually)
    5. We have no problem

Is at step #4 now... so I'm certain they've never heard of the problem in Europe.. (said with tongue firmly in cheek..) It's caused by bad US karma.

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I'm betting BMW's solution will be some sort of clamp on ring, with a special tool to install it (probably an Oetker type design) allowing the dealer 30 minutes labor time to do the job (regardless of bike model..)
    Only if they make it more complicated than it needs to be...which they've done before.

When this issue surfaced a year or two ago, a rider on the R1200R board offered machined rings as reinforcements. I bought one. The installation required no special tools, nor did it raise any "how tight shall I make this?" issues. I pulled the tank, disconnected the QD on the fuel line running from the pump boss, leaving the the other half of the QD screwed in. The machined ring passed over the screwed-in QD half, and I tested the light interference fit; it was OK.

I then cleaned the boss, applied a bead of JB Weld around the boss, and again passed the machined ring over the QD half and pushed it onto the boss. Wait to cure. Reinstall QD and reinstall tank. Because the ring was correctly sized, the only other tool needed was the small ball peen hammer I used to make sure the ring was completely seated.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    When this issue surfaced a year or two ago, a rider on the R1200R board offered machined rings as reinforcements. snip
    There was a lot of chatter over there about this issue, and some of it was has it ever been reported on an r1200r? The answer was the same setup was used on the RTs that certainly failed, suggesting it was just a matter of time???

The link is dead so I cannot read it for myself, but does this apply to all r1200X s, or certain years or certain models?

Aside: the beemer boneyard collar is out of stock as of today.

Is it considered prudent to swap out to the metal disconnects on the 1200s? It was an imperative on the 1150s

John

I will be watching this thread, but I plan to wait for the recall letter before taking action. My '07 R1200R has the all the original fuel fittings and I have left them alone--never had any reason to take the tank off.

Quote Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
    There was a lot of chatter over there about this issue, and some of it was has it ever been reported on an r1200r? The answer was the same setup was used on the RTs that certainly failed, suggesting it was just a matter of time???...
    It's the same setup, with the same parts, so I thought it was prudent to act. I did not want to experience the failure.

Is it considered prudent to swap out to the metal disconnects on the 1200s?
    Given that the parts are the same plastic pieces that failed in other models, I thought so.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

If Europe is having the same issues, wouldn't it show up in either their local forums or their magazines (like Das Rad)? Anybody subscribe to any of those?

Nutfarm
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post

And I'm sure based on BMW's usual reactions to these sort of things:

1. What problem?
    2. Oh, that problem. First we've heard of it.
    3. You caused it
    4. Your environment caused it (fuel properties usually)
    5. We have no problem

Is at step #4 now... so I'm certain they've never heard of the problem in Europe.. (said with tongue firmly in cheek..) It's caused by bad US karma.
    Don, it seems things never change. I bought a new R75/5 in 1970, it was Butler and Smith then not BMWNA, Helmet Kern was the guy you talked to with tech probblems back then. My /5 had the new Bing CV carbs installed and it ran poorly. When I took it up with Mr. Kern, I'm shure you know what he said, with his German accent, we half no probblems, I assured him there was a problem as I had installed a pair of Amal carbs from a Triumph and the bike ran well with no farther tuning.

I finaly got the problem resolved but it was like a boxing match, you had to win several rounds before you could get results. I worked in a motorcycle shop at the time, we sold Honda, Triumph and BMW, and BMW was always the most diffacult to get along with on warranty issues.

07 RT1200 RT - Fuel Leak Last Week (NHTSA ID Number 10536814)

All - Looking for advice in this arena and maybe direction if I am in the wrong forum to ask. My bike began spraying gas last week - I filed with NHTSA and after reading potential options went the route of trying DIY with the aluminum shroud from Beemerboneyard and JB Weld - I let it cure for two days and tried riding to work Friday without issue. Saturday I washed the grime and smelled gas again - When I took off the fairing the leak was oozing out from under the epoxy.

Question is do I cut my losses and have my "reasonably" close dealer (50 miles) just replace the fuel pump assembly and hope to be heard by BMW? I recognize the wheels turn slow, but the "local dealer" reacted just as everyone above noted (first we heard of it) and I'm tempted to simply pay for the fix so that the bike doesn't languish in the garage and hope for the best. I've stripped the intake back to plastic and I am re-trying the shroud with a homemade gasket and epoxy application - Goal is to wait it out and have BMW help, but based on what I have read, it would make more sense to just get it fixed and be riding again in a couple of weeks.

Please advise - This is the first issue I'd count as an issue for the bike that was beyond my control - In the image below you can see the "cracks" are past the point of simple epoxy repair - Thank you, Tim

07 R1200RT.jpg
    Last edited by tribble99@msn.com; 09-02-2013 at 01:09 AM.