Thread: Fork Gators on a 1992 R100RT

Fork Gators on a 1992 R100RT

This is my first time posting a question to the forum.

A friend of mine has a 1992 R100RT that he would like to put fork gator onto. We know people have done this but aren't sure which gators to use. It looks like the fork lowers on the /5 through /7 bikes are smaller than on the 1992 bike. So we are doubtful these will work. Someone suggested that the gators from a R100GS PD might work. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

-David

James.A
    One option is to get a set of generic fork gaitors from parts unlimited. They were less than $20 for a pair. I tried that on my '88 RS. It would have worked except that they interfered with the fairing fork bellows. I ended up removing them and went back to dust caps. I'm pretty sure the center fairing panel is the same on the RS and RT, so my experience may be informative for you. In my experience, it is fairing bellows or gaitors, but not both. It is my opinion that the bulkier BMW gaitors would rub on the fork openings of the fairing.

I installed on my 95LT when we lived in Lubbock because the bugs kept eating the seals, no more seal replacement after that. They had 13 ribs and were BMW gators from I assume a GS because I bought them at the local BMW shop. It took less than an hour to install both, just remove the front forks (one bolt on each end of the fork tube) the brake caliper and let hang free, and the fork boots. Drop the forks and slip them on. I used two BMW clamps. On the top I believe I had to add a shim under the boot to take up space a bit, I believe it was just a bit of rubber from an inner tube. Simple job.

Wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wayne -

Did you add any kind of roll pin to let the gaiter breathe as the forks worked up and down? I think we've tossed this around before...for bikes not delivered with gaiters, I suppose the roll pin is missing, but is the lower yoke even drilled for it?

I'd also suggest not letting the caliper just hang by the brake line...could cause internal damage to the brake line.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

First, when I hang the calipers I use a bent coat hanger to take the stress off the lines. On the breather holes, I did not use the pin, but I did punch a couple 1/8 inch holes in the bottom of each on the last rib. The holes were in the back so water would/could get out if any got in, and provided a passage for the air to escape. I never had any problems and my seal problems went away. I took off the bottom clamp a couple of times to make sure all was well, it was.

Wayne

Sounds good!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I have 11 rib from BMW on my 95RT

Thanks everyone this is useful information. From what I understand the 13 rid gators are from /5 bikes and the 11 rib are from /6 & /7 bikes. These are interchangeable, though purists won't agree. The R100GS PD bikes take a 15 rib gator which is a lot more expensive. If the 11 and 13 rib gators will work this seems to be the way to go.

-David

I put the 11 ribs on my 81 RT without the boots.